User Tag List

Thread: Opti-Coat 2.0

Default Opti-Coat 2.0

Opti-Coat 2.0 is currently on order from the manufacturer and arriving shortly.

We are accepting orders in advance and shipping out when the stock arrives. To secure yours now, purchase through the following link

Opti-Coat 2.0

NOTE: This product is not the professional Optimum Coating. It is a retail version designed for application by the amateur detailer.

Joel, what are the key differences between this and the professionally applied version?

There are two key differences.

1. The retail version is far easier to apply. It still does require someone with some background to detailing to keep out of trouble.
    2. The retail version produces a thinner film than the professional version. The pro version is about 2 microns thick which is crazy thick for a coating. This means that the chances of removing it through general wear and tear are basically no chance at all.

I don't know what the thickness of the retail version is, but I'll find out in time. But being thinner, there "may" be a chance you'll remove it eventually through mechanical abrasion.

Hope that makes sense mate. Whether its the pro version or the retail version, you are still dealing with a product that I think is the best of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    Whether its the pro version or the retail version, you are still dealing with a product that I think is the best of the best.
    No doubt there at all Joel. You haven't steered me wrong yet

So obviously the clear coat needs to be absolutely pristine before this goes on, which is where the detailing experience would come in. Am I right in assuming that this is not able to be applied over a surface that's had Amigo or any other polish applied to it (Ie a polish capable of hiding minor scratching etc)?

Ie it has to bond directly with the clear and not have anything at all between it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

How much is this stuff worth?
    I've been told I should look after the paint of my car better by a detailer.
    So I'm gonna wash it more than once a month, and am thinking of rubbing something on it to, as I'm told, 'protect it'.
    Those who know me know this post isn't a joke...

It's in the link Joel posted mate - $99.95

Jon, my advice would be to perhaps get it professionally detailed and polished, and then look at immediately (ie within an hour or two of the detail at most) applying something like Prima Paint protection product yourself

Provided you top up the protection with a spray of Hydro once a month, you should get around six months before needing to re-apply the paint protection.

It's quite low maintenance day to day and it'll be much more forgiving to do yourself than something like Opti-Coat 2.0

Or maybe you could whisper sweet nothings into Missy's ear and she can help you out
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    It's in the link Joel posted mate - $99.95

Jon, my advice would be to perhaps get it professionally detailed and polished, and then look at immediately (ie within an hour or two of the detail at most) applying something like Prima Paint protection product yourself

Provided you top up the protection with a spray of Hydro once a month, you should get around six months before needing to re-apply the paint protection.

It's quite low maintenance day to day and it'll be much more forgiving to do yourself than something like Opti-Coat 2.0

Or maybe you could whisper sweet nothings into Missy's ear and she can help you out
    Paint protection? Sounds like too much work. I might just go a nice, cheap polish...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

up to you mate, but in the long run you'll actually spend more time and effort continually re-polishing than you would with a longer lasting solution like paint protection (which sits on top of a polished surface)

A polished surface might last a couple of weeks before it goes again (depending on how the car is stored etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    No doubt there at all Joel. You haven't steered me wrong yet

So obviously the clear coat needs to be absolutely pristine before this goes on, which is where the detailing experience would come in. Am I right in assuming that this is not able to be applied over a surface that's had Amigo or any other polish applied to it (Ie a polish capable of hiding minor scratching etc)?

Ie it has to bond directly with the clear and not have anything at all between it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's correct mate. No products like Amigo are suitable before hand. Pure polishes like Prima Swirl, Prima Finish, Optimum Hyper Polish/Compound are OK. But you need to wipe down with isopropyl alcohol to remove any polishing oils from the surface.

So basically, what you said is exactly right. It need to bond to the layers of paint. Whether that be clear coat or acrylic.

FYI I had the Optimum Opti coat professionally applied and 4 months on, it looks schmich! The dirt slides off and water beads so well!

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    FYI I had the Optimum Opti coat professionally applied and 4 months on, it looks schmich! The dirt slides off and water beads so well!
    I've seen photos of yours mate. Very nice. That blue looks dripping wet in the pics.

Cheers Joel

Might look into this once my recently re-applied paint protection comes up for re-doing

Dan

Same with me, I've had the Optimum Opti coat professionally applied as well, same car as Shakespear (funny enough) and I'm glad I did - Some pics below... As you can see very shiny..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	8147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	8148  

+3 for the Professional application with Redline Car Care in Brisbane. I get lazy with my cleaning, but the car comes up perfect every time. I'm not a polishing nut like some here, but it suits my lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    +3 for the Professional application with Redline Car Care in Brisbane. I get lazy with my cleaning, but the car comes up perfect every time. I'm not a polishing nut like some here, but it suits my lifestyle.
    Yes indeed - Kim is a great guy, there was even a slight scratch on my car which he buffed out / fixed up (at no extra cost)...