User Tag List

Thread: Front end Clunk MPS 6/Mazda 6

Default Front end Clunk MPS 6/Mazda 6

Hi all,

Both my car and my girlfriends 04 lux 6 have a clunk in the front end. Obviously more noticeable over bumps, but only at low speed when the steering wheels is turned.

I have a feeling it is steering related. When I am say doing a 3 point turn I notice it when I let the clutch out to take off / start moving again. I can feel it a bit through the brake pedal but mainly the steering wheels.

As I mentioned very noticeable when we are coming in and out of the driveway, obviously the wheel is turned and we are hitting the driveway at an angle. Decent sort of clunk in her car, somewhat milder in mine.

Any thoughts / experiences with a similar problem?

Mate I get the exact same thing occasionally when reversing out of my driveway and just as i'm letting out the clutch to go forward "CLUNK"

First time I did it I pulled it back in to the driveway at night a took the front wheels off and looked to see what happened, I was expecting to see a disc pad out or something!
    Found nothing.....

I read it might have something to do with the AWD LSD, but if your GF's is it must be something else.

I bet it's common

I reckon the clunk you are referring to is the floating discs relocating. Happens mainly when uyou brake while reversing. All my subis have done that too. This is definitely different. I wish it was just that.

4. Default

What type for Brake pads are you running

Mine makes a similar clunk when I reverse out the drive.
    I've got a fairly steep driveway, and as soon as the car starts decending on an angle, there's an audible clunk (also noticeable through the steering wheel), that so far I imagine must be a bush that's worn out.

When I got my '05 MPS 6 in December it had a similar clunk... Mostly noticed at low speed manouvering, on/off the gas... Round carparks, in and out of my driveway etc. Mainly through the steering wheel, also a little through the pedals.

Took it back to the Nissan dealer I got it from, they spent most of the day tightening and lubing eveything they could find under the car... Whenthey could not solve it, they walked next door to the Mazda dealer, who told them the issue straight up... Insufficient lubrication in the slidey/adjustey bit of the steering column, pull column out, dimantle, lube and put it all back together again, clunk gone!

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    What type for Brake pads are you running
    .They are just the stockers I believe.

I have some slotted rotors and Bendix pads going in tomorrow so I will be checking things while I am doing that

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    When I got my '05 MPS 6 in December it had a similar clunk... Mostly noticed at low speed manouvering, on/off the gas... Round carparks, in and out of my driveway etc. Mainly through the steering wheel, also a little through the pedals.

Took it back to the Nissan dealer I got it from, they spent most of the day tightening and lubing eveything they could find under the car... Whenthey could not solve it, they walked next door to the Mazda dealer, who told them the issue straight up... Insufficient lubrication in the slidey/adjustey bit of the steering column, pull column out, dimantle, lube and put it all back together again, clunk gone!

Chris.
    That sounds pretty much like my issue. Not real keen to pull my steering to bits though.

Had this clonk on mine. Just release the steering wheel adjuster lever and move the steering column up/down, in/out. If you are lucky it will distribute the grease a bit and you clonk may go. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post
    Had this clonk on mine. Just release the steering wheel adjuster lever and move the steering column up/down, in/out. If you are lucky it will distribute the grease a bit and you clonk may go. Best of luck.

Well I'll be stuffed. This seems to have done the trick. 60km of driving and maneuvering today and I didn't feel a clunk. Will try it on the girlfriends car tomorrow.

Thanks heaps