User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mps?

Default Mps?

Hey all, another new member here.

At the moment I'm driving a regular 2003 mazda6 lux sports, and whilst I'm very happy with.... It's too slow!
    Handlingwise, for a family sedan, I'm quite happy with it, but overtaking is another issue! To make things worse, mum brought home a new golf R yesterday, and after having a drive of that, my mazda feels like my old corolla!
    So I'm thinking an MPS6 would meet the requirements quite nicely, all I have to do is stump up the cash
    As a uni student, it will probably be a fair few months before I can get one, but I may as well start looking into them now.
    The only disadvantage I can think of is looks - the m6 hatch is better looking than the sedan IMHO.

Here's what I'm driving at the moment (stock, I don't think there's any point modding it)

Yeah, get an MPS! Welcome to the club mate! I upgraded from a Luxury Sport.

Looks a disadvantage.....not sure I get you there
    Sedan is way better for looks, then again that's my opinion

From what I can see, if you repaint or replace the stocko rims, looks improve enormously... Let's leave it at that

4. Default

Yeh for sure get an MPS6 and paint or replace the shocker stock rims as soon as you can

Theres a white one for sale in the dealer next to Golf at Belconnen, been there since aug last year and also about the same price, so might be a bargain to be had there

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Yeh for sure get an MPS6 and paint or replace the shocker stock rims as soon as you can

Theres a white one for sale in the dealer next to Golf at Belconnen, been there since aug last year and also about the same price, so might be a bargain to be had there
    I would love to but the yellow mazda isn't that old and I just don't have the coin at the moment. I just took out comprehensive on it as well, and let me assure you, for an 18 year old male with 1 year of driving behind him and no previous insurance history, it is not cheap
    As soon as I've saved up some more (before the year is out I'm hoping), then an mps will be mine

Mel, you need to take this young lad for a drive in your MPS6...!

You're 18?

I'm gonna go against the grain. Keep what you have now for a few years, seriously. It's a good thing, and lack of fasts isn't bad while you're still an inexperienced driver. As you discovered insurance costs $$$. Try getting a quote for a 6 MPS...

8. Default

true that Im 39 have maximum no claim bonus and my insurance is $1k and its not like I live in sydney or anything ... wise TD
    Last edited by blackbetty; 25-03-2011 at 07:33 AM.

18yo in an MPS sounds scary and therefore possibly illegal

hmmm, dont think you can drive a turbocharged car like the MPS until you are on your open licence forgot, ACT is a bit more relaxed about such things there are a few p-platers here with them... just don't get a red one the last p-plater driving a red 6mps has a corner "officially" named after him in the ACT
    and yeah, insurance is scary enough for me (23 yr old) hate to think what it would be for a 18yr old

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/off-t...tml#post157495 <-- take note, stock red 6 mps cannot keep up with modified rx8 through corners
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 25-03-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Whereabouts is that? And are you suggesting an RX-8 instead then?

To everyone else, yes it's a fast car, I'm a P plater etc. But I'd rather get an MPS than some dodgy engine swapped skyline or silva like others I know have. I will be getting something faster, you're not going to dissuade me from that
    Insurancewise, it will be about $300 a year more than my current car... But the extra NCB I will have by then will make up for it

If it makes you feel any better, I have completed one defensive driving course, with another to come in the next month or so. (I realise this does not give me the right to hoon on public roads, be invincible, etc, just saying so)
    Last edited by 651221; 25-03-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Right after my motorcycle crash my insurance wanted 6K to insure another bike! I'm now paying around 2K (give or take) total a year which includes a 06 MPS 6 roughly $1000 and a Honda CBR600RR roughly $1000. +1 for gaining experience before getting a vehicle that is quick. The rule goes for motorcycles here in WA but pollies are too dumb to bring it in for P platers and V8's etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 651221 View Post

To everyone else, yes it's a fast car, I'm a P plater etc. But I'd rather get an MPS than some dodgy engine swapped skyline or silva like others I know have. I will be getting something faster, you're not going to dissuade me from that
    Insurancewise, it will be about $300 a year more than my current car... But the extra NCB I will have by then will make up for it

If it makes you feel any better, I have completed one defensive driving course, with another to come in the next month or so. (I realise this does not give me the right to hoon on public roads, be invincible, etc, just saying so)
    To be sure a 6MPS is a better and potentially safer prospect than a grey imported Skyline or Silvia that you don't know the history behind (cheap mods etc). Definitely with you on your reasoning there.

In actuality, maybe do have a look at the RX8 if it's in your budget. It's not as quick in a straight line as the MPS, but even in stock trim it'll out manoeuvre an MPS with ease
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I think more the issue is that I am unsure if any insurer will take on board an 18 year old who owns a turbo car.

I know alot of them now have a clause for under 25's with hi-po cars.

Indulge me, get an insurance quote for one, no piggybacking off parents policy allowed Post the results here.

I used my old address in the ACT to get a sample quote (Kingston), said I was a good 18 year old with no finance and no traffic history insuring a $25,000 standard 6 MPS with no mods and got quoted $3,002...

Only reason I'm questioning the fast car choice is I've been there and done that as a teenager and spent quite a few years through my 20's getting my bank account to a place where it should have been, $2500+ of fully comp insurance per year as a 19 year old didn't help. There were MUCH better things I could have been spending my money on, I should have bought a $2500 car to be honest... I was earning good money then too, not at uni.

I probably sound like an old fart...but I'm just throwing a point of view out there, albiet not popular with you.

Good luck whatever you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    To be sure a 6MPS is a better and potentially safer prospect than a grey imported Skyline or Silvia that you don't know the history behind (cheap mods etc). Definitely with you on your reasoning there.

In actuality, maybe do have a look at the RX8 if it's in your budget. It's not as quick in a straight line as the MPS, but even in stock trim it'll out manoeuvre an MPS with ease
    I'm considering an RX-8, along with an MPS, and also a renaultsport clio/megane. The only thing that put me off was the fuel consumption, especially considering the performance.

@TD, I'm already paying ~$2300 a year with a relatively sedate car, I had a shitbox before that and this is infinitely better and more enjoyable. I don't plan on going back, and for what, less than $1 a day extra (in insurance) per year, obviously not including purchase price, I could be in an MPS. I do see where everyone is coming from with the lack of experience issue... but I'm a stubborn teenager
    18 year old male, 1 previous incident (not at fault), licence since 17, other nrma motoring membership, 2006 MPS6 Leather, $1400 Excess (like I have now), no finance, private use only etc etc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nrma.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	7993
    Last edited by 651221; 25-03-2011 at 08:27 PM.

$2300 for a standard 6? Wow...I'm gobsmacked. That's ridiculous. In that case, if you're happy to spend the ca$h fill your boots.

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    $2300 for a standard 6? Wow...I'm gobsmacked. That's ridiculous. In that case, if you're happy to spend the ca$h fill your boots.
    Ridiculous, I know, and I shopped around. Moneywise, I can't think of anything I would rather spend it on... Something I enjoy, use everyday, and can admire. So it's either that or my mountain bike...
    Also I don't have a girlfriend

Something I enjoy, use everyday, and can admire. So it's either that or my mountain bike...
    Also I don't have a girlfriend

These are much more fun and will cost as much as an MPS...

At 18 I know what I'd be picking and it's not the car...

Okay.. So here is my story. By the way also from the ACT.

I have a 6 classic hatch. My first car I had insured myself. When I got it I was 22 had my license for a year, no clams no crashes. For full compo it was $2.4k. Go figure that.. When at that stage it was only $3.8k for a MPS. I went the 6 hatch as I needed the big boot for moving amps and guitars around. Was more then fast enough, could even match Lynchy in his MPS3 off the lights as they are so easy to launch well.

After a year I did what you are doing now. I went I want faster. So I started looking and ended out getting a MPS3. Insurance was now down to $2.5k a year. So not too bad. How ever... There is a BIG price difference in running one of these. I went from almost 700ks a tank to 450ks. Really starts to add up quickly.. Then on top of that chews brakes and tyers quicker (depending on driving of course). Then comes the other parts of it, people try to push you more as they know you have a quick car. By push I mean drive in your boot to hurry you along. Also there is not many times you can legally use all the power of the car. Which is a big downer.

But all that aside. It is not just insurance that you have to worry about. There is other running costs. Along with what TD has been saying. I started this at 22 after buying and owning a LS integra beforehand. Looking back (is now only 24) All the money that was wasted on the cars should of been better used. For example I could of actually had a house deposit and could of been a home owner. But now just a few years later after the cars I can now no longer buy a house by myself and will be stuck waiting for a while to get some form of deposit up.

However all that said, your life your choice. If you want the MPS6 go for it. But they will still be around in a few more years.. Times I regret how I did things, other times I love it. I figure you might as well live it while you can.

And if you do end out going for the MPS6 then will have to come out for a cruise, in fact you should come out for the cruises anyway. I took my hatch to a cruise and had loads of fun.

Oh and also no issue with a turbo car on P's here in the ACT. Seen some silly cars driven by P platers around here.... for those that were wondering. Spoken from a P plater driving a MPS3
    Last edited by rfzd; 25-03-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    Now with less zoom zoom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast