User Tag List

Thread: Ultra lightweight Mazda MX-5 GT unveiled for British enduro racing

Default Ultra lightweight Mazda MX-5 GT unveiled for British enduro racing

Filed under: Motorsports, Convertible, Mazda

Mazda MX-5 GT - Click above for high-res image gallery

Mazda
    has been trumpeting its "gram strategy" to cut weight on all of its products, and the best example of how this philosophy works is in the new MX-5 GT race car. The roadster, which will compete in the Britcar MSA British Endurance Championship this year, weighs just 1,874 pounds while packing nearly twice the punch of the standard MX-5.

The heavily modified MX-5 engine produces 275 horsepower - enough juice to propel the light-weight roadster to 60 miles per hour in a scant three seconds flat. The race-ready Mazda can also crest 160 mph while looking damn fine with its new Spirited Green paint job.

In order to cut several hundred pounds off the base MX-5, the Jota Sport racing team removed interior components, revised other interior fittings and dipped the car's shell in acid. The doors, like many interior components, are made of carbon fiber and the windows are made of polycarbonate. The racing team also lowered the engine height, adjusted the suspension and added a six-speed paddle shift transmission to aid with handling.

The Mazda MX-5 GT race car sees its first action on Saturday at a three-hour endurance race at Silverstone. See the lightweight MX-5 for yourself in the gallery below. Trust us, you're going to want one.

Gallery: Mazda MX-5 Race Car

[Source: Mazda]Continue reading Ultra lightweight Mazda MX-5 GT unveiled for British enduro racing

Ultra lightweight Mazda MX-5 GT unveiled for British enduro racing originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:02:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

damn, 200 killer wasps in a 850kg package

me likey!

That would be awesome fun to drive!

Road version please, that engine, those wheels, sign me up, I'll take one

give me 150-160kw in a ~1000kg car (1170 atm) and it'll become a far more appealing car!

I have 88kW on my 176kg machine

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    I have 88kW on my 176kg machine
    Your face is also the crumple zone

I know bikes are faster in a straight line etc, just find them uncomfortable for extended periods of time and like having the 4 points of contact, moreso the stability for cornering

But anyways... think mazda was looking to bring weight of the mx5 closer to (or sub) 1000 kg... Hope this racer is a sign of things to come!!!
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Lol thanks Sam!

I reckon my MPS is more fun around corners but the bike wins hands down for fun in a straight line and easy high speed cornering. The MX-5 was never that appealing to me, but they're getting there. Also becoming more and more popular on the roads