User Tag List

Thread: Im New....Lets get a MPS.

1. Cool Im New....Lets get a MPS.

Hi Guys,
    New to the forum, introduced by a mate at work.
    I am a new MPS convert; looking at Gti and R32s i just cant justify the dollars. To be honest I've owned a few nice cars before but nothing hug on the MPS; Clio 172, Clio 182 Cup, Ba Mk2 Xr6.
    I currently drive a Golf TDI MkV and its gotta go. Too Slow, i dont feel comfortable sleeping at night not contributing to Global warming burning lots of 98 octane unleaded. Its just not cricket.

So i need an MPS. I want to spend around $20k hoping for something 50-90ks i will probably sink around $3k into mods after i have had it stock for a little while, unsure if its a good idea to buy someone else modded pride and joy. I just read a newbie thread about their Mazda 6 blowing up. OMG. Thats shocking.
    Bit like my 172 Clio, pretty much destroyed everything to the left of the engine; bearings, shaft, Hub, Rotor FML.

Anywho to some it up guys, a little buying advice, entry level modding and what to expect quarter mile would me much appreciated.

Also is it worth spending more and getting the newer series one? $30k? Im thinking 06 model with money sunk into mods on a low km car is a better idea...

I've read through a number of threads.

Cheers
    Mark.

Welcome aboard Mark.

Have fun MPS shopping. Make sure you spend some time searching through the threads here: tons of advice avail for mods for your new pride and joy!

Tom

20k for a Gen 1? Might be pushing that a little. Good luck though.
    And BTW, welcome

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    20k for a Gen 1? Might be pushing that a little. Good luck though.
    And BTW, welcome
    Oh my bad, didnt make that clear, I want a gen 2, like 06 model, the new ones; gen 1: are like 30k +?
    correct me if im wrong.

Gen 2 = 2009/2010/2011
    Gen 1 = 2007/2008

Gen 1's are the cheaper ones, they look like an SP23 with a bigger wing. Gen 2's are the ones with a whopping great speed hole in the bonnet.
    Last edited by Reedy; 21-03-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Gen 2 = 2009/2010/2011
    Gen 1 = 2007/2008

Gen 1's are the cheaper ones, they look like an SP23 with a bigger wing. Gen 2's are the ones with a whopping great speed hole in the bonnet.
    Gen 1 started in 2006. Some are coming up for sale in Mark's price range.

Hey mate and welcome,

Can I direct your attention to the thread blow, some handy info on purchasing an MPS and typical problems to look for also the links below lead to other threads (warranty claims etc)
    Hints and Tips for purchasing a used vehicle

Entry level modding means, probably an intake (CAI or SRI) possibly a tip, lowered springs, turbo-back exhaust.
    If you want more, BOV/BPV, intercooler, gauges, short shift plate
    Entering big bucks, coilovers, new turbo, tune, forged rods/pistons etc

Quarter mile times; see here
    Hall of fame quarter mile times

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 03blk View Post
    Gen 1 started in 2006. Some are coming up for sale in Mark's price range.
    Where???

Thanks for everyones help so far. Man i cant wait hahaha. Gotta palm the TDI off this week...

I set myself a $3000 modding budget for my car, I ended up going a bit over this but here's what i'd do if I had my time again and wanted to stick to the $3000 limit:

Replace the entire intake system - CAI(or SRI) + TIP, its pointless getting one without the other - $600 + fitting (Corksport SRI + TIP is like $349 which is fantastic value, but CP-e gear is better)
    Ecutek Tune - $2000 ($1699 if you can get in QUICK with tunehouse)
    Rear Swaybar - $300

OR

Intake - $600 + fitting
    CP-e Downpipe - $1450 fitted
    Rear Swaybar - $300
    Hypertech Tune - $500? (Ask Sam or someone else who has one)

It all depends how tight you want to be with the budget, you could go for the first option there an do a pirate hack job on your downpipe to get the power gains for less cost, I myself started with a $3000 budget and ended up spending closer to 4k because of the synergy between doing the intake/downpipe and getting it properly tuned.
    Last edited by Reedy; 21-03-2011 at 12:28 PM.

i would also recommend checking the for sale section of the forums given you are on a budget. some great deals on there.

and ill be surprised if you stick to the budget. i started with a few small things, then my turbo started smoking - bought a bigger turbo and i ended up getting a little excited and have spent around $5,000+

11. Default

I guess the hardest thing for me is to comprehend what sort of results I'm going to get in comparison to how much i spend, to be honest I usually sell my cars within 10-18months as i get bored of them, but this time I've decided to actually invest in it and make it something special....Mind you i have a few mates with some cars i want to make sure i beat down the quarter...

Reedy; what sort of 1/4 time you run after spending 4k?

12. Default

Ok so i dont know if this is the right spot, but i cant post in buy and sell yet so here it is...
    I stumlbed accross this car on carsales....It seems way to cheap:?
    Gen 1, 90,000km,$15 900
    2007 MAZDA 3 MPS SPORTS BK Series 2 Private Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au

Vehicle ID: 10014176

Someone please give me their opinion...?
    http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=12EE2A0E59FC
    Cheers Mark

I would be very, very cautious about that one and get a mechanical inspection done, since the price is so cheap why not spend the money on inspections.
    Check for smoking turbo and other issues I reckon...cause that's too cheap IMO

14. Default

Yeah, i was thinking the same, to be honest, i think id rather spend another 5k and buy from someone slightly more reputable....More specifically that doesnt have "dowlaa" written on the back window :S I believe the word is "Dollar"? to put it simply, a car that hasnt pop 2'nds...ever.