User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Import Tyres from USA

1. Default Import Tyres from USA

I have choosing to look at USA with the high AU$ for a good high performance tyre.
    Which has a good wet & dry performance,a high treadwear number(340),top ride comfort and a low road noise tyre.
    Tire Rack web site had loads of info,tyre reviews and tyres tests.
    The Continental Extreme Contact DW look like the best tyres for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010730(2).jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	7880 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010728.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	7882 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010729.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	7881

Email them to get a freight quote to Australia. There are some good deals to be had on some tyres from Tire Rack, some tyres with the added freight will make it cost just as much local options.

Here's a quote I got last year (November) for 4 x Kumho KU36 to be shipped to Brisbane.

Order # 1
    Qty Item Number Description/Comment Price
    4 245WR8EXSXL 225/45R18 KU ECSTA XS XL $158.00 Ea.

Mds Total $632.00 Plus shipping - select one below:

FED EXPRESS 1-3 DAYS @ $468.40
    FED ECONOMY 3-5 DAYS @ $326.05

So all up for 3-5 days shipping was $958 (extra for quicker), then you have to pay extra to get them fitted and balanced, as well as dispose of your old tyres (allow $25-30 per tyre for this, say up to an extra $120).

Which means that overall it would have cost around $1078, which was about the same price as they were available locally (fitted and balanced) if you shopped around.

Something for you to think about...

i find it much better value to get high end tires

you can get my tires AD08 in 235/40/18 for 208 US each + shipping

in australia 425 each fitted and balanced...

4. Default

Correct high end tires are better value from the states

I have been told that the standards for tyres made for US, are much lower than that of Australian Standards tyre requirements.

This was a tyre company, not a tyre dealer, don't know how true it is.

Australian Standards and US DOT standards are pretty much the same, there's an international tyre standard agreement amongst certain countries, AUS and US are part of that with our respective regulatory agencies. TUV approved is another one you'll hear of, that's the German standard.

Have a look at your tyre sidewall, you'll see the US DOT codes (link) and the Uniform Tyre Quality Codes (Treadwear, Traction etc) on them, and they're pretty much on all Australian market tyres as we get our tyres from the same places the US does generally (Japan, South Korea, Germany etc). US domestic manufacturers like BF Goodrich may be different however, but they still have to meet the DOT standard.

If you're looking at the sort of high-end rubber you would want to fit to a MPS you will be fine, they will all meet the required standards.

Edit: Forgot to add. There may be slight compound differences in the same tyre sold between here and the US, mainly due to our climate.
    Last edited by TD; 17-03-2011 at 09:50 PM.

My order from Tire Rack got here within 4 business days (economy rate) - very happy!
    Wanted the The Continental Extreme Contact DW's but wasn't prepared to wait 3 months on backorder!

Went for a combination of longevity and reasonable performance.

Came in under $1000AU for 6 tyres!! $15 to fit/balance each tyre at my local... bargs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire Rack.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	9486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Indy 500.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	9487

Shame Tire Rack don't do credit cards or PayPal, would triple their international business overnight.

It's only worth it for high end tyres. I got my Yokie Advan's in 5 days...way cheaper than buying in Adelaide. The international transfer was a minor pain in the ass but no biggie in the big picture of things.

Oh and the tyres are glorious! first time ive ever had full traction in 1st and 2nd.

Tirerack ftw!

i have also bought AD08's from tirerack. they arrived in about 5 days too, and the wire transfer is a piece of piss, i just use (commonwealth) netbank - takes 5 minutes.

I need new tyres...just called around today. The Dunlop SP Sport 2050 on my Gen II are $419 each (fitted and balanced). OMFG !!!!

Been reading the tyre review threads and I think tires from Tirerack is looking very good at the moment !

Bought my last 2 sets from tirerack, you won't regret it... About half the price, including shipping

Sent from my iPhone

I've sent them an email for a shipping quote.

Still can't get over the prices in Australia. It's been a while since I've bought tyres, but geez that is ridiculous !

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    I've sent them an email for a shipping quote.

Still can't get over the prices in Australia. It's been a while since I've bought tyres, but geez that is ridiculous !
    Check out st George tyres NSW or advance tyres Richmond vic plus shipping also

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Just got an email back from Tirerack. They won't ship Michelin Pilot Super Sport to Australia ?! He said he will ship to my postal forwarder though.

I think the brand names are cracking down on tyres imports. I'm checking a couple of other brands to see if they will ship.

For those interested Good Year have a special on at the moment - Buy 4 tyres for the price of 3 - GOODYEAR AUTOCARE NSW & ACT Coupon - 177A8

Offer expires 29.4.12. I found out when I called around.

Makes the F1 Eagle Asymetric 2 quite reasonable compared to Tirerack import (after adding freight +gst etc).

Dang,
    I was looking at those ones too. I'll have to see how my forwarder will charge for those and then compare. Such PITA thanks to distribution exclusivity.

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    Just got an email back from Tirerack. They won't ship Michelin Pilot Super Sport to Australia ?! He said he will ship to my postal forwarder though.

I think the brand names are cracking down on tyres imports. I'm checking a couple of other brands to see if they will ship.

I have bought a set of tyres and a set of wheels from Tirerack. Best store on the internet.

I got my set of Michellin Pilot Super Sport's about 5 weeks ago from Tirerack. When did they start clamping down? Lucky I got them when I did. I went for it coz the dollar was 108 somethin at the time and I thought it would retreat from there. Do a bit of share trading.

I just sent an email last week asking for a shipping quote for Pilot Sport and they said they don't ship to oz.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast