User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Import Tyres from USA

Like for everything?? I heard they are no longer shipping AD08 tyres cause Yokohama is getting cut. Loosing profit in Australia. Sack of shits! I need to buy a new set soon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    I just sent an email last week asking for a shipping quote for Pilot Sport and they said they don't ship to oz.
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    Like for everything?? I heard they are no longer shipping AD08 tyres cause Yokohama is getting cut. Loosing profit in Australia. Sack of shits! I need to buy a new set soon as well.
    Bah I hope that's not true! I'm trying getting some now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    Bah I hope that's not true! I'm trying getting some now.
    let us know how you go, would be disappointing if it turns out true

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    let us know how you go, would be disappointing if it turns out true
    Sadly it is. Word from Ben at Tirerack is the they are not allowed to sell Yokohama outside USA.

That said, shop around in AU. I got a good deal that makes me think Yokohama might have dropped their prices somewhat in AUS.

Bought mine from Andvance Tyres and More in Hornsby http://www.tyresandmore.com.au/stores/Hornsby

How much did you pay for them? If Australian prices don't come down or Tirerack aren't allowed to ship then I will just buy a set of Hankooks instead. Yokohama are dreamin` if they think they can pull that kind of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    How much did you pay for them? If Australian prices don't come down or Tirerack aren't allowed to ship then I will just buy a set of Hankooks instead. Yokohama are dreamin` if they think they can pull that kind of crap.
    Got mates rates on these, but I believe they can be had for <$400 these days compared to last time I bought them at closer to $500 each...

I am also on the same boat as you hahaha Hangoooks RS3?

Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08

Yep either RS-3's or maybe get a set of Bridgestone's because at least they have started dropping their prices in Aus.

Which ones in the Bridgestones?? The only one that compares to the AD08 is the RE11s but i thought they were out of production....

Yep either RS-3's or maybe get a set of Bridgestone's because at least they have started dropping their prices in Aus.
    Current:

RE-11's yea, didn't know they were out of production, they are definitely still available to buy.

I totally agree with you. I paid $840 delivered for a set of S-Drives from Tire Rack. $250 of that was shipping costs. If you think I'm gonna pay over double that for the same tyres here in Oz you're crazy. Cheap Nankangs for me from now on.

Ok.

this is the results of my research in trying to bypass the restrictions preventing tirerack from shipping Michelins/Yokohamas into Australia by using another retailer. More like a rant with some facts

The main obstacle is mainly shipping charges which can be rather exorbitant.
    I have managed to work out the most cost effective way theoretically to get it done.

This is a theoretical case study below to help any future member:

Michelin Supersports 225/45/18 x4 - total USD$968 (4 tyres = 0.441 cubit metre)
    Freight charge via sea (est. time 20 days)

Charges below seem to be around the ballpark figure through my research +/- AUD80

USA CHARGES

LAX CFS THROUGH TO MELBOURNE CFS USD 130.00 PER CBM /1000 KGS
    EBAF USD 30.00 PER CBM / 1000 KGS
    DOCUMENTATION USD 65.00
    AES FILING PER SUPPLIER USD 55.00

MELBOURNE LOCAL CHARGES

AUSTRALIAN PORT CHARGES AUD 75.00 PER CBM / 1000 KGS
    DELIVERY ORDER FEE AUD 65.00 PER SHIPMENT
    DELIVERY ORDER FEE AUD 60.00 PER SHIPMENT
    SEA CARGO/CMR/SECURITY ALL INCL AUD 50.00 PER SHIPMENT

GST OF 10% APPLICABLE ON ARRIVAL CHARGES
    EXCHANGE AT BANK RATE PLUS 2.5%

Looking at the charges above:

Total Charges for shipping: USD 280 and AUD250 = approx AUD550 - 580 inclusive of GST
    OUCH!! as they allow minimum of 1CBM shipping.

The only way around this is to get 2 set of 4 tyres and cope the 10% gst and maximum 5% custom duty and divide the shipping over 2 sets of tyres so:

Total tyres value = USD$1936 (I'm going to assume AUD1=USD1 make things easier)
    Total duty and gst to be paid = AUD290.40
    Custom declaration AUD$70 once off per shipment
    Shipping cost AUD580

Total cost for 2 sets approx AUD$2876.40
    Cost per set $1438.20

Cheapest RRP I could get here is AUD$1640

And all this doesnt include if quarantine doesnt like your goods and say they need to inspect it and more crap. I say Michelin International, you really suck because you know it aint worth our time.

I guess I'll be giving my business to Pirelli.

Have you tried using shipito.com for a shipping redirect? That could be worth a try.

I tried them. Its not the weight of the tyres that are of the issue. Its the volumetric size which makes them weight equal to 70-80kg!! Around that ballpark. If it wasnt for the volumetric size, the cost of shipping would be around $280-$300 which still makes it viable.

Thats what I got from estimation with the shipito shipping calculator thats why I started looking at sea freight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-06-22 at 121138PM.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	11338

I reckon tirerack have enough volume coming through to Australia so its hard even for sea freight to beat their air freight prices.

16. Default

Has anyone tried using a freight forwarding service such as Shipito or MyUSA for cheaper shipping?

yeah tried them. Just beware when you use their shipping estimator (comGateway) they only take into account the weight not volumetric weight so you can be stung there as all the freight companies once they know its a large size shipment will quickly take into account volumetric weight.

I think shipito and MyUSA will quote you first so make sure you tell them the size of the tyres

Have you read the above post :-P
    Seriously though, I'm that guy right now and air seems to be cheaper.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed Justin if tirerack send straight from their warehouse to you. I think its because of their huge volume to Australia :P

bought from tire rack just a week ago, set of michelins. cost $250 Fedex economy. got here in 5 days...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast