User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MPS or Golf GTi?

1. Default MPS or Golf GTi?

Hi, I'm tossing up between the Mazda 3 MPS and the Golf GTi at the moment. Both are fantastic cars with the MPS being a more faster and raw beast, whereas the GTi is more refined and comfortable.
    I've heard that GTi's have reliability issues, but cannot find much talk about these issues from owners because of the 'it's a German car and we paid a premium, so there is no issue with reliability' mentality.
    The MPS on the other hand is Japanese - and we all know how reliable Japanese cars are.
    Being a MPS forum, I guess there is a little bias here, but I want to know what you guys think about the GTi compared with the MPS

2. Default

MPS GTi

dont really think that by posting on a MPS forum you are going to get a totally unbiased opinion here!!!!!

But my vote is for... wait for it..................................

MPS

After reading up some of the stage kits you can get for the GTI from apr tuning. id go with the GTI.

BUT

im in love with my mps so i wouldnt give it up for anything else atm

If you mean the new GTi then the GTi hands down.

I think you have summed it up.

GTI is for people who want to think they have a quick car but can not really hand one. If you go this way i have heard also it is a good idea to sell before the Warranty runs out.

MPS is for people who want a quick car and can handle them. It will not always behave but that is half the fun.

Also remember when test driving an MPS on 75% Throttle is like a GTI on full throttle.

Funny this, as seen by watching the debates dad has started on the VW golf forums, i can honestly say that we (the mps forum) are not at all biased.
    dad asked the same question on the 2 forums. Here the reply was "that doesn't seem right, the golf should be much better"
    Golf forum said "your wrong, golf is better"

anyway.
    Personally i think its horses for corses.
    The golf is the better car, better built, better handling. But not as good as the price suggests.
    The MPS i think is better value for money, Everything is standard that is expensive options in the VW.

If you want just a good all round car, i'd pick the Golf (i nearly did)
    If you wan't something a bit more exciting and different (look at how many GTi's are on the road) pick the MPS

Depends on how much fun you wanna have and how many points you got left on your license.

If the answer is lots, heaps or enormous amounts, then my answer is MPS

Brad I think the same way you do on this. I think the GTI is a great car.

In terms of value for money though, I can't (and in fact didn't) go past the MPS.

When my Mk IV GTI came up for end of lease late last year, I tried to justify going to the new one, but by the time I optioned it up to the level of what came standard in the MPS (Bluetooth, satnav, 18" wheels, electrically adjustable seats etc) the price difference was remarkable and something I just couldn't justify. To say nothing of the higher servicing costs (I would pay easily a third more per service with the GTI than I do now with the MPS)

Plus now that the Golf R is out, all I'd need would be one pulling up next to me at the lights while in my GTI and I'd be in tears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

yeah, sounds about right Caff, when a R pulls up next to you, you'll feel sad and like you got the worse car

the biggest thing between the 2 is, do you want an auto gearbox, if so, golf GTi (done)

if value for money is the thing for you, then MPS

the MPS is different to the golf, try the 2, see which you prefer... but as has been said in terms of what you get for your $$$, the MPS wins, easily.... besides, i hate tartan, leather any day

As for issues, the 2 most "infamous" of these is the pistons bending, but i havent seen any reported instances of this happening on stock gen 2 motors (seen stock gen 1's and 6MPS motors do it) and there is only a few people who have had this happen to them... other than that, smoking turbos, but havent seen any gen 2's with that

the other thing is the rear engine mount failing (buy aftermarket, $200) the cruise control sometimes de-activates when going down a hill at 110km/hr, oh and the parcel shelf rattle

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Funny this, as seen by watching the debates dad has started on the VW golf forums, i can honestly say that we (the mps forum) are not at all biased.
    dad asked the same question on the 2 forums. Here the reply was "that doesn't seem right, the golf should be much better"
    Golf forum said "your wrong, golf is better"
    funny how a MPS forum was right
    a golf R should be/is a match for a 6MPS performance wise... so when the R gets left for dead by a stock(ish) 6, you know something is wrong
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Depends if your buying new, if new I might say the GTi even though the price would be epic compared to the MPS if your matching options like Caff said before. Maybe find one ex-demo save your self some coin and then you consider the resale price... 05/06 GTi is still 30ish on carsale for a decent one MPS Sports is like 25 - 27 for best.

And going the that last point if you were looking at a old GTi or MPS i'd do the MPS.
    Build quality isn't far off GTI and power is up, audio is just as good but you might be missing Satnav.
    If you want to compare dynamics they matched a R32 and a MPS up in USA and video is on youtube and the MPS wins that compareo so really should be a fair bit ahead of the GTI.

Don't be fooled by what you here from people saying MPS is harder to live with... it might be a little stiffer but off boost and if both are manual i would say they are equally easy to drive day to day.

James
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    ... other than that, smoking turbos, but havent seen any gen 2's with that

the other thing is the rear engine mount failing (buy aftermarket, $200) the cruise control sometimes de-activates when going down a hill at 110km/hr, oh and the parcel shelf rattle
    My gen 2 turbo blew up day after 10,000k service. bit of a bitch but replaced under warranty, no problem.
    Engine mount, whats the golf one like: bet its not much better, probably softer i would think...
    There is a fix for cruse controll now isnt there?
    Parcel shelf - warranty, no probs

Only problem i can see with the MPS is tire life
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

I made a very similar decision when I bought my car, of the cars I test drove and checked out, the GTI and MPS were my 2 favourites BY FAR. There are a few reasons why I went with the MPS and to this day have not regretted it for a second.

1. After a couple of test drives in each, I sat in the Mazda and really appreciated the driver oriented layout of the instruments and cockpit. I test drove them back to back 3 times in a row. The Golf confused me with its controls, the Mazda did not.
    If anything, this was the clincher for me. I appreciated the fact that the Mazda did everything the Golf could, yet still seemed simpler and more accessible.

2. Japanese - Cheaper to buy, cheaper running costs and more reliable.

3. Value. Spec a GTI up to the same level that the MPS comes as standard and you will be paying HEAPS more, Bluetooth, Leather trim, Sat Nav, Keyless entry/start etc

4. More Power, the GTI is a nimble and fast car. The MPS is a highway ballistic missile. Very few cars have the mid-range response and overtaking power that the MPS does.

After owning it for 6 months now, things that I have come to love about it that I didnt think of:

1. The little things that the Mazda comes with as standard don't seem like much, but they make a difference. Push button start for example, if it was an option I wouldn't have bothered getting it but I Love it! The Sat Nav it comes with is hugely underrated and works very well too.

2. After 6 months, I still giggle every time I look at it. I know for a fact that if it were a Golf that this feeling would have passed a lot sooner. I love the cheesy grin and bright colour of my car. It honestly stirs a similar emotion to what I feel when I see a ferrari drive past, yet it cost me $38 000 and can fit 4 people + their snowboards on a trip to the mountain!

3. Exclusivity, I see GTI's every day and don't think anything of them. I don't envy them, at all. If the roles were reversed and I was driving a GTI and spotted an MPS I would probably be left thinking "What if?". If I got the GTI then I would be left driving a slower, more boring, more expensive, more pretentious, more common, more serious yet less capable car.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the golf. But Before and after buying the Mazda, the MPS blows it away. And now that I have modded my MPS a little bit, it has become exactly the car I want. If I went to a car maker with a clean slate and built a car from scratch, exactly to the specs I wanted, then I would end up with something almost exactly the same as what I have.
    Last edited by Reedy; 15-03-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Ive also driven the GTI, it has alot less torque and its very noticable,
    The MPS feels stiffer which i like, it feels more sporty.
    If i could do it all over again, Id buy a Evolution VIII MR.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post

the biggest thing between the 2 is, do you want an auto gearbox, if so, golf GTi (done)
    Most people buy the GTI with the DSG gearbox because most people are stupid. Driving the DSG Golf I felt detached from the whole car. The Manual gearbox they come with is fantastic (Better than the MPS one imo)

In the end tho, the decision is yours. If you are still a bit torn between them, take both for another test drive. Sit in them, read more about them. Once you have done enough research and played with both of them enough, the decision will eventually make itself for you. That's how it happenned for me. After my 3rd test drive in both it all of a sudden became clear to me. The MPS was the car I wanted, so I went and bought it.

Don't expect a muppet like me to make up your mind for you. Just absorb all the info you can on both cars, drive them, get to know them intimately. And your decision will eventually become very easy.
    Last edited by Reedy; 15-03-2011 at 09:17 PM.

get the golf R! its the only golf worth comparing to the MPS! but its $$$

otherwise, get the MPS 6 and spend abit of extra $$$ and you will rape Golf R's all day (i know i do)
    Last edited by Rayd; 15-03-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Mk6 GTI DSG.

My mate owns a MK6 GTI with DSG whilst i own the Gen 2 MPS and after driving his i have to say the gear shift is sweeeett!! It'll shift way quicker than what a normal person would do in an MPS. Mind u the little backfire u hear in the exhaust just tops it off for me. When i took it out for a thrashing it just seems like the golf is a much more "all rounder" if u like, very much how u would expect in a german car. everything is just much more smoother. Another sweet option i found is that the GTI allows a fan to spin for least 30 secs after a thrashing, so u dont have to wait around to let the turbo cool down like u do in the Gen 2, so thats a pretty sweet idea haha. I later took my mate for a thrashing in mine and he loved the MPS Funny how that works.. I kinda like the way how the GTI is more nimble, more refined interior and exterior whilst he likes how the MPS is well packaged (mines a luxury) for the price and how much power it has. Overall, if u want something classy, not as fast but refined go the GTI but if u want brutal power that always put u on the edge as well as package for buck, go the MPS. I mean in the end, there is no perfect hatchback, each has own advantages and disadvantages.

After driving a few cars i loved the MPS. Cuz as everyone said....................... the MPS is a bit mad and nuts, this is what makes it a winner..

I have a Golf R and love it

If I was making the choice between a GTI and the MPS 3 Gen II then I'd probably pick the MPS, why as most of the guys have said, the monster torque of the MPS 3 may make it a handful for the motoring journo's but it adds a whole lot of spice and makes it fun. The GTI when I test drove one, felt soft and whilst it is better inside than the MPS it wasn't as quick.

Good hunting, considered the Renault RS250?
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast