User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: MPS or Golf GTi?

Quote Originally Posted by quacker View Post
    Finally made up my mind and got the GTi Pirelli.

I compared the positives and negatives of both and found that the GTi is a better buy in the long run.
    Yes it is not as fast and raw as the MPS, but it is just so much more refined and civilised. I don't intend on driving my car like if i've stolen it, so the MPS is kind of not the car for me. IMO, the seats in the MPS is just no where as comfortable and nice to look at as the GTi's, and eventhough the car's shape is unique, the 'smile' at the front of the MPS just looks ridiculous the more you look at it. Other reasons why I chose the GTi over the MPS are;

- The GTi Pirelli will have better resale value than the MPS.
    - A $1500 ecu flash from API will get the GTi Pirelli to 230kw and 400Nm - enought to surprise an MPS driver at the lights. No competition when you factor in the 'launch control' feature from the DSG.
    - The Satnav in the series 2 MPS is a joke. Too small IMO
    - GTi is more fuel efficient
    - I prefer the DSG gearbox. Yes, I know that some people think DSG is uninvolving, too computer controlled, unreliable etc etc. But the technology is used in road cars for a good 8 or so years now, and VW wouldn't sell so many GTis world wide if their DSG wasn't reliable.

Also, I've driven manual all my life (I'm 35), and I can honestly say that manual in city or suburban driving really sucks. It's not involving - it's labouring. The only time a manual is fun is if you take your car up some winding roads, or to a race track. But how many times do you do that in a year?
    If MPS comes with DSG, then I would reconsider
    Nice choice, congrats, what colour did you get?
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

2. Default

I paid $38k for the GTi Pirelli. Came with the usual Pirelli extras plus Sat Nav. Car done only 13000kms so is pretty new. Colour is blue graphite.

I'll be driving her around for a few months before 'chipping' her for the 230kw

I must admit, the decision was not all mine. My misses needs to drive the car occasionally, so getting the MPS was to much of a handful for her. She prefers the brand name, refinement and 'girly' look of the GTi.
    If the decision was all mine - i would've gotten the MPS and use the spare change to mod her. A red S2 MPS with black rims will look oh so sweet!

Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like once it is chipped you will have to some real fun at them red light GPs :P

Sorry to be the thorn in ones side, but a simple chip to get 230kw? Sounds far fetched... Even for at the flywheel...

He bought the Pirelli edition so a APR stage 1 ECU upgrade should take him to around 230KW, dunno if that's ATW or at the flywheel though, either way it is bloody good lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    He bought the Pirelli edition so a APR stage 1 ECU upgrade should take him to around 230KW, dunno if that's ATW or at the flywheel though, either way it is bloody good lol
    That's APR quoted flywheel kw, from dyno's I've seen it is probably a bit less in the real world, but still a good performance hike.

APR offer a 6 hour trial. Get it tuned, drive around, then go to another dyno and find out what it's making without paying a cent till your happy. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Default

What year did the Pirelli come out?? 2008?
    DoVW have 5yr Warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by TIMU5 View Post
    What year did the Pirelli come out?? 2008?
    DoVW have 5yr Warranty?
    3yr warranty only.

Nice colour the blue graphite! It's the same as my wife's Jetta, enjoy the Pirelli, post some pics please
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345