User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MPS or Golf GTi?

The r32 and r36's have a fantastic zorst note...there is a white one like corz's around my area, and it sounds awesome!

To me a golf gti is for people who want a premium car that goes a bit quick...to draw a parallel with another german car maker, it's like a bmw 330, or even the 325...it's quicker and a bit fancier than the base model, but it's over shadowed by big brother (335i). and price wise, there is plenty around thats quicker and better optioned.

But it's an affordable german badge that motoring journalists love, and thats enough for it to become a bit of a status symbol.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I know on the Golf R you can't fully turn the Stability Control off either, is this the same with the GTI? A recent comparison I read had the Golf R putting in pathetic times around the track due to not being able to turn the DSC off. That would suck, altho, irrelevant if you don't track your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    I guess it'd be like having a wife that cooked, cleaned, loved the kids, etc. But then everyday for the rest of your life, you waited and waited for her to become remotely attractive.
    Great analogy. Made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    IMO, I can't see the enticement of a Golf. For starters, they make me puke just looking at them.
    I guess it'd be like having a wife that cooked, cleaned, loved the kids, etc. But then everyday for the rest of your life, you waited and waited for her to become remotely attractive. Like as if she was a blank piece of paper... maybe with a single red stripe around her mouth... Lol
    Sorry everyone, I don't see any redeeming features for those bland and boring cars...
    The R32 looks good, but that's as far as my appreciation goes for VW.

My opinion only.

God there is some dribble in this thread!

It comes down to what you want and what you think is better value for YOUR money. I think BD pretty much nailed it in his first post... VW is a better build/quality car hands down, any day of the week..

While the exterior is subtle styling I have to say it looks far better than a Happy podgy Gen2 MPS.. Gen1 FTW! .. Anyone who says the Gen2 is a hot car needs their bloody eyes checked!!

As for dumping a VW before warranty ends well same can be said about the MPS to be honest, the amount of issues between GEN 1 & GEN 2 is horrendous...

My 7yo R32 has had less issues than my brand new MPS did over the 2years I owned it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

I will agree that the MPS is better value for money but that still wouldn't be enough to get me back in one. The GTI feels slow due to it's linear power band, unlike the MPS which comes on hard & fast. The options lists do suck! But unfortunately that's another mere trait of owning a euro... you pay for it...

Rayd... Mod the Golf R to a similar level as your MPS and you be left behind buttercup.. Also the Golf R is targeted to the STI/EVO platforms .... Not the MPS!

Servicing a euro will always be more expensive than the Jap brands... The trick is to find a reputable mechanic who is particular in a certain brand i.e. VW & Audi, BMW etc. etc. Also buy importing parts like brake rotors, cooling fans, etc etc from the US will also make things cheaper.....

Having owned a modifed MPS and currently own a modified VW R32, I'd have my R32 any day of the week!!

my 2c..
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    I'm never drinking again

This might also help....

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MNLESS View Post

It comes down to what you want and what you think is better value for YOUR money. I think BD pretty much nailed it in his first post... VW is a better build/quality car hands down, any day of the week..
    Very true!
    While the exterior is subtle styling I have to say it looks far better than a Happy podgy Gen2 MPS.. Gen1 FTW! .. Anyone who says the Gen2 is a hot car needs their bloody eyes checked!!
    Yes that's also true tho a Gen 2 with some wider wheels and lower stance also looks great!
    As for dumping a VW before warranty ends well same can be said about the MPS to be honest, the amount of issues between GEN 1 & GEN 2 is horrendous...
    My Gen1 is out of warranty and I haven't had any major issues! I think many Gen1 owners on here are on the same boat
    My 7yo R32 has had less issues than my brand new MPS did over the 2years I owned it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
    Ah that's when build quality comes in, give it another few yrs and the gremlins will start to show their ugly face!
    I will agree that the MPS is better value for money but that still wouldn't be enough to get me back in one. The GTI feels slow due to it's linear power band, unlike the MPS which comes on hard & fast. The options lists do suck! But unfortunately that's another mere trait of owning a euro... you pay for it...
    Nah the GTI is just that, SLOW...
    Rayd... Mod the Golf R to a similar level as your MPS and you be left behind buttercup.. Also the Golf R is targeted to the STI/EVO platforms .... Not the MPS!
    You serious??? You might as well same some $$$ get your self a mildly tuned R34 GTR and blow the whole lot away, incl the Golf R... Plus it will be different than the 1091897976 Golfs out on todays road
    Servicing a euro will always be more expensive than the Jap brands... The trick is to find a reputable mechanic who is particular in a certain brand i.e. VW & Audi, BMW etc. etc. Also buy importing parts like brake rotors, cooling fans, etc etc from the US will also make things cheaper.....
    Yep thats true but by the time you find someone that knows what they're doing you might as well take it to a dealer for maintenance
    Having owned a modifed MPS and currently own a modified VW R32, I'd have my R32 any day of the week!!
    I'd rather wait a few days of the week and have neither then perhaps buy something I've always wanted, R34 GTR, Series 8 RX7 RZ, BMW M3, AMG SLK 350 etc etc
    my 2c..
    My 2c in red :P
    Last edited by Malicioso; 18-03-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

My 2c

For the budget that quacker has in mind, I'd go down he 2000MNless' path get an Mk IV R32 and mod it, that thing looks awesome (still want to hear it though - may have to come and visit!)

The manual GTI I test drove didn't do it for me, DSG feels quicker but still wasn't enough, the R is just right (with DSG) though over time as I get used to I'll probably make it quicker

As quacker was looking at the GTI Pirelli, these had a different turbo and tune to the standard GTI so that should be quicker and almost as much fun as the MPS!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MNLESS View Post

my 2c..
    Yer, but my point was that you don't have to spend $70k on a golf R to get something that exciting, a bolted on MPS will rip it and your spending $40k max , probly less! And even less if you go second hand!

Not everything is about performance its not everyone's priority.

Re. Gadgets. Yes, the mps will do everything a golf does, but the golf does it better.

And honestly, I think that's how you sum it up.

Luke is right.
    Make a list, what do you like, what don't you like.
    I did that with the mps, gti, megane cup, and xr5 focus.
    The mps had the most positives.
    But that was for me. But the golf out sells the mps by 3or 4 times and car of the year in most countries. So it must be a good car.

And besides, most people sell their car and buy a better one. Quite a few members have bought VWs and are very happy

If u want a performance car y buy FWD ( unless ur like me.. mad) this isnt about buying a car to mod. its about a car off the showroom floor, a car u can live with right from the word go...

if performance is ur choice buy a Lambo,ferrari etc!! Or my fav Audi R8

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    If u want a performance car y buy FWD ( unless ur like me.. mad) this isnt about buying a car to mod. its about a car off the showroom floor, a car u can live with right from the word go...

if performance is ur choice buy a Lambo,ferrari etc!! Or my fav Audi R8
    Buy me an Audi R8 too please...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

12. Default

Finally made up my mind and got the GTi Pirelli.

I compared the positives and negatives of both and found that the GTi is a better buy in the long run.
    Yes it is not as fast and raw as the MPS, but it is just so much more refined and civilised. I don't intend on driving my car like if i've stolen it, so the MPS is kind of not the car for me. IMO, the seats in the MPS is just no where as comfortable and nice to look at as the GTi's, and eventhough the car's shape is unique, the 'smile' at the front of the MPS just looks ridiculous the more you look at it. Other reasons why I chose the GTi over the MPS are;

- The GTi Pirelli will have better resale value than the MPS.
    - A $1500 ecu flash from API will get the GTi Pirelli to 230kw and 400Nm - enought to surprise an MPS driver at the lights. No competition when you factor in the 'launch control' feature from the DSG.
    - The Satnav in the series 2 MPS is a joke. Too small IMO
    - GTi is more fuel efficient
    - I prefer the DSG gearbox. Yes, I know that some people think DSG is uninvolving, too computer controlled, unreliable etc etc. But the technology is used in road cars for a good 8 or so years now, and VW wouldn't sell so many GTis world wide if their DSG wasn't reliable.

Also, I've driven manual all my life (I'm 35), and I can honestly say that manual in city or suburban driving really sucks. It's not involving - it's labouring. The only time a manual is fun is if you take your car up some winding roads, or to a race track. But how many times do you do that in a year?
    If MPS comes with DSG, then I would reconsider
    Last edited by quacker; 22-03-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Good choice, enjoy

Be happy that it was your own decision, not ours (and especially not those VW driving pricks over at their forum)

The Small sat nav screen thing I thought would be a problem with my Gen II but I've found it to be really quite a good little unit. and the biggest thing is the screen is up in your field of view, don't need to take your eyes off the road to look at it.

Other than that, your reasons are all sound as =)
    Last edited by Reedy; 22-03-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Be happy that it was your own decision, not ours

Other than that, your reasons are all sound as =)
    That ^
    Sad to hear that the mps didn't win you over, but hope you enjoy your new car
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by quacker View Post
    IMO, the seats in the MPS is just no where as comfortable and nice to look at as the GTi's
    The Gen2 MPS seats are nowhere near as good as the Gen1, stuffs me why they went backwards there...

Congrats on your purchase, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    The Gen2 MPS seats are nowhere near as good as the Gen1, stuffs me why they went backwards there...
    I agree mate.

Congrats on your new car and thanks for stopping by to let us know

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Agreed with everything said, except for the looks of the gen2. Asked me 12months ago, I'd agree, but the looks have grown on me.

Congrats on the purchase, the perelli is a great car and does sound more suited to what your after in a car.

I don't believe there are good and bad cars, just different cars for different tastes and needs.
    Life would be boring if we all liked the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I don't believe there are good and bad cars, just different cars for different tastes and needs.
    Life would be boring if we all liked the same thing
    Very true, imagine how boring cars would be with out all those crazy rotary owners

One of things which turned me off the GTi was the price, to get the same level of interior features of the MPS3 in the GTi drove the price up considerably beyond my budget, add to that the cost of the chip to bring performance up to a similar level.

I haven't read the whole thread and maybe cost wasn't a factor in your decision but just out of interest, how much did you pay for the GTi?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast