User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MPS or Golf GTi?

Glad you have had a look for yourself

The quality thing though, the VW is better, not as much as the price difference suggests though. However it seems that when talking about quality, most people confuse it with appearance.

Another thing I thought of is the practicality difference.
    If the mk5 is anything like dads golf R the mps is far more practical.
    There is bugger all storage space inside the golf for things like CDs, satnav or anything else you may have.
    You can buy underseat draws, but again, another expensive option

Quote Originally Posted by quacker View Post
    I think price will be a big factor in which car i choose. Right now, I can get a second hand series 2 MPS luxury with just 7000km for just $31,000.
    The 2008 Mark V GTi Pirelli with 13,000Km is asking for $40,000.
    So if you were to go with the MPS you're basically getting a slightly newer and definitely faster car, with lower kms for 9k less, money that you could spend on the MPS to make it one hell of serious animal...

Common sense says go for the MPS :P
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

They are both nice cars, but look a the cost factor from 4 years on and the Golf will send you broke .....Don't get me wrong I would buy a Golf but talking with people, cost will be greater for you if you buy a Golf down the track for parts and servicing, something to keep under your belt... Good luck in your decision....

Personally if I had the choice I would not both with the golf (simply far too many of them around) Instead I would look at the RS Megan. Looks similar to the sorocco and has on paper 188kw so almost the same as the MPS but I love the look of it and I have still not seen one driving around. Also if you get the track edition there will be no corner you can not throw it through at a heat attack inducing speed.

The MPS is good because it has character. The sheer stupidity of it when you are hammering it shows it is a car. Not just something on 4 wheels to take to the shops and back. (which is what I think of the golf [as they have no fun taque steering or things like that])
    Now with less zoom zoom

I think you mean the Megane RS 250???
    Renault - HOME MEGANE R.S. 250 CUP TROPHEE

have to say that the reliability of a French made car is far more worse than a Mexican mule, know this first hand from one of my previous experiences with Peugeot 207 GTI....

Golf = common, good resale, higher servicing cost

MPS = power, cheaper servicing, great handling at 100%

evertime you pull up to the lights in a mps with a golf is beside you, you know you can mince them

R32s can beat you on launch but you can reel them in with 3rd gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    I think you mean the Megane RS 250???
    Renault - HOME MEGANE R.S. 250 CUP TROPHEE

have to say that the reliability of a French made car is far more worse than a Mexican mule, know this first hand from one of my previous experiences with Peugeot 207 GTI....
    Ask Eddy about the RS he drove one, its was amazing but same deal as Golf, expensive to service and maintain but the resale is worse due to the French having a bad name reliability wise
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

2 friends with clios.1 was the biggest pile of junk I've ever seen, the other (a sport cup) was insanely fun, reliable completely faultless.
    But their reputation, lack of dealers locally and poor resale stopped me from buying a Megan (big butt shape)

But judging by the OP's drive of the golf and mps, I guess the new Megane is out of their budget

I'd go for the MPS but I understand why the Golf would appeal to some. Most GTI buyers opt for the DSG tranny. While DSG might be great for drag racing, for me DSG is no fun and potentially expensive and complicated to maintain/fix. I love the precise gear shift and short gearing of my MPS 6. It may be a little slower than my old auto XR8 but it's so much more involving and rewarding to drive. The GTI's interior is probably more classy than the MPS's, but I actually prefer the MPS's "funky" styling.

Many GTI fans say the MPS has too much power for a FWD; what's funny is that they're usually the ones who have APR tunes which increases output to MPS levels.

I love the arguments golf owners make that the mps torque steers worse than the golf because of suspension and diff setups.
    No, fools, its because you need torque to torque steer

Dads golf R is a lovely car, and I'd own one in an instant. But when fully options to the specs of a new mps, it shows how good value the mps is.

Funny that people here, while still suggesting the golf dont completely dismiss the golf as an option.
    Bet that won't happen on a golf forum

Buy the Gen 2 MPS Lux!

Thread closed...

If you're still not sure. Drive them again. Sit in them, spend quality time with them. Break down every little detail of each car. Eventually you will end up with a clear favourite once you consider all things.

Hassle your dealer, make them work hard until the decision gets made for you. Don't buy anything while you are still unsure.

Also; $40k for the Pirelli GTI? Tell him he's dreamin`!
    Last edited by Reedy; 17-03-2011 at 05:29 PM.

i know of many people with DSG problems. One of which the dealer has tried many things to fix, and in the end have said its normal. Normal that he cant get the thing to reverse out of his garage? yeah right.
    2010 car! then they offered him 20k for it trade in because the sales people say it has problems.
    DSG is Crap!

Maybe borrow one for the weekend, then the other for the next weekend. Compare...

Is more then one version of the RS Megan, is the cup and cup trophee.. But most likley outta the price a bit.

However that said.. I own 2 Mi16s. One that is 3 years yonger then me. Yet driving these so called horrible french machines is far more rewarding then the MPS. Not as much power but so much better around the corners. Also they feel tighter and better build. Even with there cheap plastics. Almost 300,000ks and still strong I see no reliability problems with them..

That said.. Back on topic time.

Do as lots ohve said, drive both, sit in both, weight up YOUR personal pros and cons. as I for one know my pros and cons are different to someone else. As at the end of the day it is a lot of money to be putting down so no need to rush into a decision.

Oh also if you plan on modding into into those costs as well and also see how far you can take it before things will start to break. That is if you go down that parth..
    Now with less zoom zoom

get a bit of paper write down all the things u hate about each car, the one with the least bad points buy... Cuz we all can live with the good points its the bad points we cant live with!!

but is the GTI Pirelli a DSG auto tho? if it is.... i wish my mps was a DSG auto

The DSG gearbox is a personal preference thing. I hated it when I drove the GTI, I felt detached and not in complete control of the car. Sure the rapid fire gear changes are satisfying when you are driving that way, but I still like heel toeing and clutch launches.

Not to mention the DSG will be less reliable and also has horrendous servicing costs.

Bit off topic but I drove a Golf R32 last night, nice but meh dunn see what the whole fuss is about with them either, don't get me wrong they're nice very nice and smooth with all it's fancy gadgets BUT stomping on the go pedal it felt like something was missing and at one point it even sounded like it had an exhaust leak and I think the lack of induction noise doesn't help it either. On the other hand tho brakes and handling are superb and IMO this thing would give any MPS a good run on the twisties, they're very modern machine and it would be the only second hand Golf I'd ever buy, pity the guy who own is (mates cousin) drives like a grandma, still not bad for a 19yo kid on P plates!!!

As to price... I think I heard him say he picked it up for a mere 36k second hand....
    Last edited by Malicioso; 18-03-2011 at 07:40 AM.
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

IMO, I can't see the enticement of a Golf. For starters, they make me puke just looking at them.
    I guess it'd be like having a wife that cooked, cleaned, loved the kids, etc. But then everyday for the rest of your life, you waited and waited for her to become remotely attractive. Like as if she was a blank piece of paper... maybe with a single red stripe around her mouth... Lol
    Sorry everyone, I don't see any redeeming features for those bland and boring cars...
    The R32 looks good, but that's as far as my appreciation goes for VW.

My opinion only.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast