User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MPS or Golf GTi?

Hrrm, RS250 true, or maybe the XR5 Turbo?

Brand new at the moment?

GTI then straight to an APR tuner for a stage 1 tune (extra $1900). Came very close to this at the start of the year.

But...good luck securing the exact specification of GTI you want in a reasonable timeframe. Anything with options = $$$. I was going to grab the basic model without options in manual, they're price competitive with the MPS.

I drove a 07 GTi prior to buying the MPS and I found that though the Golf is a very well built car (previously owned a MK4), they do lack the personality of the MPS, they seem too tame and just like Iphone owners, another run of the mill car which everyone else seems to have jumped on the band wagon.

IMO pros and cons on both cars from me driving the two and research:

MK5 Golf GTI Pros:
    Nice cabin and real quiet interior, not much road noise.
    The trip computer and gadgets were a real nice feature which the MPS does not have.
    Fuel mileage.
    Build quality.
    Some parts can be found for real cheap.
    Good re-sale value and prices seem ok for mileage and year model.
    Great after market support in Australia.
    Very comfortable suspension and nice sitting position.
    Some even have sunroof from factory.
    Handling through corners is great for a FWD.
    Great brakes.
    Feel very smooth gear changes.

MK5 Golf GTI Cons:
    Comes on boost too early, makes heavy city traffic a pain in the ass
    DSG models cost and arm and a leg to fix if they break.
    Servicing cost if a bloody joke, need to have some extra $$$.
    On some models there was a recall on the drive shaft nut coming off.
    Interior and exterior styling is too bland and boring.
    Small cabin not much room.
    Shocks on the one I drove seemed a tad soft, bit bouncy if anything
    Aftermarket parts aren't cheap and would cost an arm and a leg to bring one up to the same level of power as an MPS.
    There is just too bloody many of them on the road!
    Some ppl ask too much $$$ for what they are.
    Slow...

Gen1 Mazda3 MPS Pros:
    Bang for buck.
    Great styling, very tuff looking.
    Cheaper to run and maintain.
    Parts are relatively cheap depending on what it is.
    Plenty of cabin space and very nicely styled interior.
    Driving position is also great.
    3rd gear pull on boost.
    Overall power delivery.
    Very predictable handling.
    Solid build and feel.
    Great features (sports pack)
    Price.
    Power and Torque.
    Very responsive to modifications and great gains from simple bolt ons.
    Cheaper to modify.
    Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, stealth appeal.
    Not many seen on the road, even tho SP23 has similar look.

Gen1 Mazda3 MPS Cons:
    PPL who always say "looks like a normal Mazda3" or "it has too much power", or say "but it's FWD!"
    Rear engine mount is a bloody joke for the power they put out.
    Torque steer (though you learn to tame the beast after a while)
    Gear Shifter is too sloppy.
    Turbo seal smoke.
    Brakes calipers and pad sizing is also a joke.
    Build quality compared to Golf.
    Re-Sale value.
    No fancy gadgets like trip computer (have to buy DashHawk)
    Fuel mileage.
    Some mods seem like improvements rather than mods, things which are done to rectify Mazda's mistakes i.e. engine mount.
    Shocks have the wrong valving, too jittery and unbalanced feel on rough uneven road surfaces.
    Wet weather handling, just can't put the power down!
    Aftermarket parts have to be sough after from the USA.

In the end the MPS was priced a bit better when I was ready to buy, and had a nicer feel plus I also liked the way it pulls on boost and that Jet like exhaust sound, I also liked the styling better and have to admit that the only Golf I'd ever look into would be the MK5 R32 or the MK6 Golf R.
    Last edited by Malicioso; 16-03-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    Mazda3 MPS Cons:
    PPL who always say "looks like a normal Mazda3" or "it has too much power", or say "but it's FWD!"
    Rear engine mount is a bloody joke for the power they put out.
    Torque steer (though you learn to tame the beast after a while)
    Gear Shifter is too sloppy.
    Turbo seal smoke.
    Brakes calipers and pad sizing is also a joke.
    Build quality compared to Golf.
    Re-Sale value.
    No fancy gadgets like trip computer (have to buy DashHawk)
    Fuel mileage.
    Some mods seem like improvements rather than mods, things which are done to rectify Mazda's mistakes i.e. engine mount.
    Shocks have the wrong valving, too jittery and unbalanced feel on rough uneven road surfaces.
    Wet weather handling, just can't put the power down!
    Aftermarket parts have to be sough after from the USA.

In the end the MPS was priced a bit better when I was ready to buy, and had a nicer feel plus I also liked the way it pulls on boost and that Jet like exhaust sound, I also liked the styling better and have to admit that the only Golf I'd ever look into would be the MK5 R32 or the MK6 Golf R.
    We do not know if you want a Gen 1 or gen 2 but not some of the cons on this list are not applicabile to Gen 2

Ie does not look like a normal maz 3
    We now have Gadgets
    I think my Gen 2 is great in the wet.

Edited

Personally, I think the Golf is a show off car. "Look how much money I can set fire to".
    Live by your wallet.
    There's not one single VW I'd own, but I'd consider an Audi, if I could afford it. And I'd consider a Porsche too, but I can only afford a Gen 1 MPS3... just.

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    Personally, I think the Golf is a show off car. "Look how much money I can set fire to".
    Live by your wallet.
    There's not one single VW I'd own, but I'd consider an Audi, if I could afford it. And I'd consider a Porsche too, but I can only afford a Gen 1 MPS3... just.
    Audi is just a VW with a different badge and higher price tag, just like Lexus and Toyota....

Audi is just a VW with a different badge and higher price tag, just like Lexus and Toyota....
    Wen was the last time u looked at a Audi? its no VW!! Audis are hot
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

^^^ approx two to three months ago, drove a new A3 convertible and many of the parts are VW and the DNA is shared between the two!

i never knew it until one day I had to buy a new window switch for my MK4 Golf, it has a sticker on the bottom showing VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda, I asked the guy at spare parts about it and he said they share many of their parts. So yes Audi is a priced up VW, well to me anyways and the Girl at the Audi dealer which organized the test drive on the A3, who happens to be a close friend of mine

I have to agree with you with the looks, they're totally Hawt! I'd love to own a new TT or even an S5.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Just to add to the above.

Volkswagen is the original marque within the Volkswagen Group, which includes the car marques Audi, Bentley Motors, Bugatti Automobiles, Automobili Lamborghini, SEAT, Škoda Auto and heavy goods vehicle manufacturer Scania.
    Volkswagen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Audi AG (Xetra: NSU) is a German manufacturer of a range of automobiles, from supermini to crossover SUVs in various body styles and price ranges that are marketed under the Audi brand (German pronunciation: [ˈaʊdi]), positioned as the premium brand within the Volkswagen Group.

The company is headquartered in Ingolstadt, Germany, and has been a wholly owned (99.55%[4]) subsidiary of Volkswagen AG since 1966, following a phased purchase of its predecessor, Auto Union, from its former owner, Daimler-Benz. Volkswagen relaunched the Audi brand with the 1965 introduction of the Audi F103 series.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi
    Last edited by Malicioso; 16-03-2011 at 03:22 PM.

^^^ approx two to three months ago, drove a new A3 convertible and many of the parts are VW and the DNA is shared between the two!

i never knew it until one day I had to buy a new window switch for my MK4 Golf, it has a sticker on the bottom showing VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda, I asked the guy at spare parts about it and he said they share many of their parts. So yes Audi is a priced up VW, well to me anyways and the Girl at the Audi dealer which organized the test drive on the A3, who happens to be a close friend of mine

I have to agree with you with the looks, they're totally Hawt! I'd love to own a new TT or even an S5.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Just to add to the above.

Volkswagen is the original marque within the Volkswagen Group, which includes the car marques Audi, Bentley Motors, Bugatti Automobiles, Automobili Lamborghini, SEAT, Škoda Auto and heavy goods vehicle manufacturer Scania.
    Volkswagen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Audi AG (Xetra: NSU) is a German manufacturer of a range of automobiles, from supermini to crossover SUVs in various body styles and price ranges that are marketed under the Audi brand (German pronunciation: [ˈaʊdi]), positioned as the premium brand within the Volkswagen Group.

The company is headquartered in Ingolstadt, Germany, and has been a wholly owned (99.55%[4]) subsidiary of Volkswagen AG since 1966, following a phased purchase of its predecessor, Auto Union, from its former owner, Daimler-Benz. Volkswagen relaunched the Audi brand with the 1965 introduction of the Audi F103 series.
    Audi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Porsche own them all now .. so there all Beetle DNA
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Brad and Caff summed it up at the beginning! I'm with them.

If you read Wheels or Motor Magazine they give the all rounder award to the Golf. But it doesn't have the sizzle, seat of your pants, feeling the MPS gives. My wife loves our car, so it's easy to drive. But I've driven the DSG and it is addictive.

Good luck. Both great cars. You'll be happy in both...

...or will you? :P

And Chrysler used to get engines from Daimler-Benz. Does that make a Jeep a Merc?
    I'd like to see VW make something close to the Audi R8...
    Porsche GT2 FTW!
    ... or an MPS instead
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Golf Gti is a better car hands down, Mps is better value for money if your looking for power. Lets mot look at the power, drive both and gti is alot more of a nicer car to drive. Still love my mps though.

I'd like to see VW make something close to the Audi R8
    They have tho...

Bugatti Veyron :P

Bugatti is owned by the VW group lol

the veyron doesnt match the r8 for looks...

think this is sliding offtopic a bit

Not sure if this is the case anymore but the reason why the GTI brakes feel awesome is cause they are super soft, my uncle (a mechanic) has told me prepare for a $3000 hit every 3 years doing Front and Rear Discs and Rotors on a GTI including labour.

I agree with Malicioso on nearly all pros and cons, only the MPS brake sizes i dont find the front all that bad and calipers are massive but your right on the rear end what a joke lol.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    Wen was the last time u looked at a Audi? its no VW!! Audis are hot
    True that and Audi's have better quality bits that make them more upmarket .... oh and way sexier too
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Depends what you want in a car...

If you want luxury and to show people you have heaps of cash, buy a GTI, a personailty, and watch the mens gymnastics on TV.

If you want an enjoyable ride at a price AFFORDABLE by most families/singles, buy an MPS, some seat cleaner, and smile every time you pass a GTI on it's way to Ballet class.

That's my BIASED opinion. I bought my car because "I" think it's MUCH better than most of the "balls" that is out there.

If this new member wants an accurate decision in his car purchase, he should drive both/others, check his wallet, and decide from there. NEVER let anyone tell you what is better than the other... Decision is made from your loungeroom. If you can smile every time you look out at your car, you chose the right one...

Peace out...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Depends what you want in a car...

If you want luxury and to show people you have heaps of cash, buy a GTI, a personailty, and watch the mens gymnastics on TV.

If you want an enjoyable ride at a price AFFORDABLE by most families/singles, buy an MPS, some seat cleaner, and smile every time you pass a GTI on it's way to Ballet class.

That's my BIASED opinion. I bought my car because "I" think it's MUCH better than most of the "balls" that is out there.

If this new member wants an accurate decision in his car purchase, he should drive both/others, check his wallet, and decide from there. NEVER let anyone tell you what is better than the other... Decision is made from your loungeroom. If you can smile every time you look out at your car, you chose the right one...

Peace out...
    What he said I'm that lazy

20. Default

Thanks everyone for the input. I went and test drove a Golf V Pirelli edition today and it was very nice. The car felt smooth and the DSG is simply amazing.
    The seats were very comfortable as well.

Then I went to a Mazda dealer to test drive the MPS. Unfortunately, I left my license at the VW dealer earlier, so I could not test drive the series 2 MPS. So the salesman took me for a spin in the demo car with me sitting in the passenger seat.

From the passenger seat, I had a good look at the interior of the MPS, and upon close inspection, I really cannot see why people think that the GTi's interior is more quality. I think people perceive the GTi's interior as more quality because of the use of lighter colours - whereas the MPS is all black inside, giving it a duller look.
    I must admit though, the GTi has the best looking and feeling seats and the DSG gearbox is a charm. Without these two attributes, the GTi is a pretty ordinary car.
    I didn't drive the MPS, but I can definitely tell that it is way more faster than the GTi Pirelli edition (which has 169kw) - let alone the normal GTi.
    The car feels like an animal on full throttle - so violent and raw when accelerating hard. So violent in fact that I could see the salesman fighting the steering wheel to keep the car from running off the road.

At the end of the day, I still can't make up my mind what to get. I like the series 2 MPS for it's power, rawness, and eccentric styling. But I like the GTi for it's all round ability, superb seats and the awesome DSG. I don't digg the looks on the GTi very much. Looks too girly for my taste.

I think price will be a big factor in which car i choose. Right now, I can get a second hand series 2 MPS luxury with just 7000km for just $31,000.
    The 2008 Mark V GTi Pirelli with 13,000Km is asking for $40,000.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast