User Tag List

Thread: Question about SRI+TIP+Highway driving

Default Question about SRI+TIP+Highway driving

hey guys,

Not sure if this has been covered before, but i did a quick search and did not find much.

1. Will installing a TIP + SRI onto a stock mps3 be safe in terms of air/fuel ratio ? I read on the corksport website that the stock ecu can handle this mod but i want to know experiences of other members.

2. Because the TIP + SRI will allow for earlier turbo spool up, would this mean when im crusing on the highway at 110km/hr ( 2700rpm ??? ) it will drink more petrol as the turbo is spooling a lot more than compared to stock ??

3. ( Directed to Gen 2 mps owners because of their fuel consumption display ). How much fuel am i saving if im driving 95-100 compared to 110-115.

Cheers !!

Quote Originally Posted by kelviN View Post
    hey guys,

Not sure if this has been covered before, but i did a quick search and did not find much.

1. Will installing a TIP + SRI onto a stock mps3 be safe in terms of air/fuel ratio ? I read on the corksport website that the stock ecu can handle this mod but i want to know experiences of other members.

2. Because the TIP + SRI will allow for earlier turbo spool up, would this mean when im crusing on the highway at 110km/hr ( 2700rpm ??? ) it will drink more petrol as the turbo is spooling a lot more than compared to stock ??

3. ( Directed to Gen 2 mps owners because of their fuel consumption display ). How much fuel am i saving if im driving 95-100 compared to 110-115.

Cheers !!
    1. Any of the reputable sri and tip combos should be fine

2. Nah it won't increase fuel consumption, that's determined by other factors other than airflow into the turbo,i found my car used less fuel after mine was installed

3. Am a gen 1 owner but I've found that if you're using cruise control it doesn't make a lot of difference, I've done a fair few long trips and fuel consumption seems more dependant on the number of hills you go up rather than your actual speed
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

My highway efficiency improved when I had my DP and TIP/CAI fitted.

Daily driving got worse tho because when you can hear the induction noise, it makes you fan the throttle a bit more when stop/starting.

You should experience improved engine efficiency and hence reduce fuel burn from a decent SRI + TIP setup. Your turbo will spool up quicker but its speed at a set engine rpm should remain effectively unchanged.

Thanks guys. So its safe to drive with the tip/sri setup untuned ??????

Hey mate, i've had my setup now on the Gen 2 for more than 5000km no CEL as of yet. *touch wood* I do use my MPS as a daily and found that my consumption is a slight higher than my average before. But i do also have a heavy foot, not sure how the others drive theirs and i do get stuck in traffic time to time. I've got the CPE nano and the CPE TIP with the HKS SSQV BOV 3 on recirculated. Turbo tends to spool way way earlier, sound is well awsome haha and i dunno about the others but i found that my 2nd gear now carries full boost right up till 6000rpm which is amazing providing before without the modifications it was dropping off at around 4 or 5000. And even that the boost was reduced to around 3/4 of the boost gauge, where as now its full bar all the way.

3MPSPWR "my 2nd gear now carries full boost right up till 6000rpm ..............where as now its full bar all the way"
    No doubt this is the source of your increased fuel burn! ;-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    1. Any of the reputable sri and tip combos should be fine

2. Nah it won't increase fuel consumption, that's determined by other factors other than airflow into the turbo,i found my car used less fuel after mine was installed

3. Am a gen 1 owner but I've found that if you're using cruise control it doesn't make a lot of difference, I've done a fair few long trips and fuel consumption seems more dependant on the number of hills you go up rather than your actual speed
    Born out on twmba <--> bathurst. Fuel economy sees slight improvements from mods, but long trip consumption is very dependent on how many hills and how aggressively you climb them
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    3MPSPWR "my 2nd gear now carries full boost right up till 6000rpm ..............where as now its full bar all the way"
    No doubt this is the source of your increased fuel burn! ;-)
    Hahahaha! Well, its worth the test u know? Whats the point of chucking in a mod and not test it out like its suppose to be. I dont do that on a daily basis tho :S But i still tend to use more petrol than before.. alittle more not significant

sweet....cant wait to order my one then