User Tag List

Thread: New Black Car - No Idea

1. Question New Black Car - No Idea

Howdy,

Thought I'd ventrue off to get my regular car wash stuff, but thought I'd look around on the web to see what is available. Amazingly, there is an absolute shi$!load, and now i'm more confused.

I've been all over the ZAS site, and I think I like the Prima Paint Protection Kit, which will help. I'll probably do this next weekend, and give the car a normal wash this weekend. The car is only 1 week old, so I'm not sure if most of the other components are required.

Is this what people would recommend? I've done some reasearch, and everyone seems happy with the Prima products - I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time, or should be doing something different.

Thanks

GS.

to ozmps, and your new part time job, keeping the car clean

Am sure sure the resident black car owners will be on to help you out ZAS himself owns a black mps!

3. Default

Welcome with your new black car, post up an into thread about yourself in the new members area

Prima is the say to go, check out some of the great work done by other members and leelu's car she just did a massive job on it, looks amazing

Hi and welcome

Myself and a number of others here have applied the Prima Paint Protection kit to our cars, and without exception have been very happy with the results.

The process is not a difficult one, though you'll need to set aside 2-3 days to complete it.

Postman Dan did a good write up of the process here: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/zen-a...html#post75526

He also owns a black car (Gen II) and the results were stunning. Here are some pics of his post Paint Protection: OzMPSclub - Australia's fastest growing Mazda MPS forum - Mazspace

There are a few other products I'd recommend in addition to what you get in the Prima Paint Protection kit:

- Prima Mystique (Car wash)
    - A good wash mitt such as: ZAS Car Detailing Products : ZAS Ultra-Plush Microfibre Wash Mitt
    - Prima Slick (a spray-on quick detailer. I use Slick after every wash to give a finishing shine. Once a month I'll swap it for Prima Hydro to 'top up' the paint protection): http://www.zas.com.au/product/100/pr...ler_473ml.html
    - A plush microfibre towel, which I use to apply the Slick/Hydro. This is very easy on the clear coat when working with light 'spray-on' products: ZAS Car Detailing Products : ZAS 40x60cm Plush Microfibre Towel

There are a host of other products you might find beneficial (glass cleaners, scratch/swirl removal products, interior cleaners, wheel and tyre dressing products etc). Best advice I could give would be to PM Joel (username: ZAS) via the forums here and have a chat with him about anything else you might need.

Good luck

Dan
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 04-03-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

to everything Dan said above!

I also use the Prima products. I find the waffle weave towels from ZAS really good, got 2 of them for drying off the car after a wash. The Prima clarity is also a great product for the glass, used with a glass cleaning cloth I get great results with no annoying smears!

Good luck with the paint protection kit (I found it a great workout) and keeping the Emo beast looking amazing......I'll always be a VR girl but the Emo looks absolutely amazing when it's clean
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Totally recommend the Prima paint protection
    Had a bit of a paint disater with my black MPS recently and with the help of the faroum and Joel decided on the Prima.
    Absolutely delighted with the results.
    Better than the professionally applied aftermarket paint protection that I paid a fortune to have applied

Go for it
    Wal

Caffiene (Dan2ski) summed it up well.

Firm believer in Prima, and have used it since 2009.

Speak to ZAS (Joel) about it.

You will be amazed by the results, and the effort is most definitely rewarding...!

I can't really add anything here, other than if you plan on making a purchase through us - make sure you register for the forum discount! This will give you a discount on the already discounted kit, and then also a discount on any additional products you need.

If you do need any extra advice, fire away.

9. Default

Thanks Joel, Justin has pointed me towards your site. I'm putting the list together now - whats required for the forum discount?

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Quite note - I'm not thinking that black gets any dirtier than my other car that was dark grey.. Although the water marks are a bit annoying... Prima kit on its way.. :-)

10. Default

Wow - got the kit in record time - Great - thanks ZAS!

Nice rainy night in Sydney - perfect time to start the process.

I gave the car a rinse, and then got the old washing up liquid and gave it a good clean. I tried a Powerball, but didn't quite have the same effect as a good squirt of morning fresh.. :-)

Then dried the car with both of my Waffel Weave jobbies, although I don't think these are as nice as my 10 year old chamois. Lots of streaks and bits that didn't dry. I don't doubt that they did soak up a shitload of water, however I had to go around a few times. I then though - maybe the first one is too wet, and I can't ring it out enough to get it dry, so opened up the second one. But it wasn't that much better. Maybe it's me, or maybe it'll just be a good inside the car cleaning cloth?

Started with the Amigo.. Un, Deux, Trios - had the Ricky Martin song in my head as I smeared this grey goup all over the body of the car. It was now in the garage and starting to get dark, so it was becoming hard to see. However I polished off each panel at a time, and wow - the transition was amazing. Went over the whole car - needing a milk crate to reach the roof. Looked quite nice, and I think it was nice and smooth all over.

Next, grabbed the 'epic'. Wow - all I could do is get rid of Ricky and replace him with Jeremy. Such an 'epic' car. this car is just 'epic'. 'epic' 'epic' 'epic' as I'm sure Clarkson has used it a million times. Each litle squirt of 'epic' juice I could hear his voice. Anyway, the car is now in bed, and has a fairly blotchy covering of epic all over it. I'll hit it with another load in the morning and wait until after lunch to then figure out the next stages.. I'll also try to take some shots as well.

Now for some beer :-)

Cheers

11. Default

Polished off the epicness and sprayed the odd bit of hydro during the buffing stage. The instructiosn weren't quite cleare at this stage, but i think i figured it out. Car looks pretty amazing - unfortunately, I was able to see myself in it from every angle I looked at it. I've got no swirly marks, or a single scratch on the car that I can see. Pretty impressed with the result.

Dam thing, had to go out, and it was pissing down with rain. Anyway, after the trip back, I was able to see that most of the water just fell off the car. I had a bonnet of little water balls, but a quick hit with the chamois and i think we were as good as new again. It's been crap light all day, so i've not see the entire picture. I'll aim for a shot or two tomorrow.

Only annoying thing with doing this on a SUV (Outlander) is that I need a milk crate to climb onto to do anything on the roof.. I figured this is where the most of the work was needed as this is where I would imagine all of the problems would begin?

Cheers and thanks everyone for their help!

With the waffle weaves, I think the issue you might have had is because there was no wax on the car. This makes it a little bit harder to dry as the water just wants to sit flat on the surface and excessive rubbing is required to dry. One thing to note about this - this is the exact reason chamois scratch the crap out of your car so much. All the rubbing and wiping. Try to avoid it. Not only will it scratch, but it will reduce the life of your wax/sealant.

Now that you've got the Epic on there, give them another chance. The water will bead as you have already seen and run off. Gently wipe or pat the rest dry. Or, if you like the chamois use them to push the excess water off the panel, but then dry with the waffle.

You shouldn't be getting any streaks at all and you will significantly reduce adding swirl marks to your paint

13. Default

All done - nice and shiny. Pity it's rained both weekends after cleaning it on Friday night :-(

Here is the finished job at around 7pm.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	up1.jpg 
Views:	1228 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	8013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	up2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	8014

shiny good job!

Looks terrific. Great stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblyman View Post