User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminium or Silicone TIP?

1. Default Aluminium or Silicone TIP?

Hey Guys im new to this forum and was just after some general advice. I am looking at getting an aluminium TIP and was just wondering if there is any reason i should go for a silicone pipe instead. I have heard that aluminium pipes are a fair bit louder, but is that all? (Noise doesnt really worry me that much) is there any reason i shouldnt choose aluminium over silicone? As everywhere i look, aluminium is a fair bit cheaper.

Cheers

Hello and welcome!

I have a silicone TIP. I prefer the sound as the aluminium TIP sounded loud and tinny to me. More of a bass stealth air flow noise through the silicone. Also I have a theory that a silicone TIP doesn't carry much heat rather acts as a insulator thus keeping air cooler? Keep in mind the location of the TIP, it quickly gets hot....not mine. Aluminium is cheaper though, the choice is really up to you.

3. Default

Thanks for the thoughts mate, in terms of heat, couldnt you wrap it in heat wrap to prevent the air heating up?

Yes, aluminium is louder than silicone.
    You could wrap it, but, if you buy a 2.5" TIP, you'll be pushed for room as it is.
    You could have it ceramic coted, but, the cost will increase.
    More food for thought.

If noise is important to you like it is to me (lol) i would try an aluminium one, maybe not as heat efficient as the silicone one but still improves airflow over the stock piece. If you dont care for noise then silicone is the way to go, a bit more expensive though.

Blog Entries

Mine's aluminium. It's cool to touch when you stop. It heatsoaks while you are stopped. Once it's reached it's ambient and your moving, I don't think there's any temp downside from what I've seen. I think mine could be heatwrapped. I could give that a go and see if it influences BAT temperatures. I suppose it could make a difference around town and in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by doctordex View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts mate, in terms of heat, couldnt you wrap it in heat wrap to prevent the air heating up?
    Lol ask Toddy, (tell him I referred you!!) I'm sure he'll be most happy to help you out with regards to that! I wouldn't if I were you It looks dodge IMO, the MPS is much to nice a vehicle to add ricer DIY heat wrapping mods, I may stand alone in that sentiment but anyway my 2 cents on it. I reckon a CAI and a silicone tip will look great, sound great and also be effective in reducing heat sufficiently enough through the intake system path

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I had an aluminium TIP that i wrapped in heat reflective tape but its hard to cover the whole thing because of the recirc pipe and boost solenoid barb sticking out, not to mention the 90 degree bend. The air moves so fast through the pipe i dont think that heat soak would be an issue. If you can afford it i'd go with the silicone... if not just get the Aluminium.. 2.5" diameter is about as big as you'd want to go because its a tight fit down there.

On a side note i think Rogwicks induction noise is louder then mine (he has the silicone TIP, I current'y have 2.5" S/Steel. Both have same CAI and filter). But i could just be crazy
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 02-03-2011 at 01:13 AM.

9. Default

Cheers for the thoughts guys, Aluminium without heatwrap it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    On a side note i think Rogwicks induction noise is louder then mine (he has the silicone TIP, I current'y have 2.5" S/Steel. Both have same CAI and filter). But i could just be crazy
    This is a little hard to say cause you're always out the car. I get that draw-back chuff noise as I have the BOV plus 50/50 VTA at the moment, which may give the illusion mine is more noisy?
    After you put the stock BPV back on it went silent, but you still get the induction noise, just no draw-back through the filter. I do remember once I was next to you at the lights and you nailed it....it was really loud being right outside to it.

Glad you decided on one doctordex!

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Which aluminium one are you planning to get? I have an old corksport TIP sitting at home (could still be wrapped in heat tape) because it was too small for my new turbo and i just didn't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    Which aluminium one are you planning to get? I have an old corksport TIP sitting at home (could still be wrapped in heat tape) because it was too small for my new turbo and i just didn't really like it.
    You have a custom silicone one with the BNR yeah? I forget... was it a 3" fitment to the BNR turbo inlet?

M P S

I have a 2.5" s/steel tip

Just bought a MZR intake pipe myself……..sitting in my car waiting to be installed!!!

(hopefully ill get home from work one night early enough to do it)!!!

On the topic of noise, i've got the 2XS TIP and Mazdaspeed 3 CAI so basically my whole intake is aluminum i love the noise but from the impressions i've gotten from the forum is that the noise would be 'grunty/thumpy' not like"i'm spooling so hard that i can suck your car up" lol.

ATM the intact is a little dominate over the exhaust 'no 2nd cat or muffler' if that gives you a impression of noise dbs.

Quote Originally Posted by KLEEMO View Post
    Just bought a MZR intake pipe myself……..sitting in my car waiting to be installed!!!
    Good one. Have the SRI and intake from MZR Performance installed and sound is great. Power gains are noticeable and heat does not appear to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyj View Post
    Good one. Have the SRI and intake from MZR Performance installed and sound is great. Power gains are noticeable and heat does not appear to be an issue.
    GOOD to know/hear!!! tempted to even do it now in the carpark behind work!!!
    2006 MAZDA 6 MPS - LIQUID SILVER METALILIC - MILDLY MODDED FOR NOW.............

i'm running a black coated aluminium 2.5" TIP

have never heard a silicon version in person

Well its in (after many cuts)......................sound is deeper (woosh/fluttering sound) than before...................and spool is on much earlier than i expected!!! under 2000rpm now

20. Default

many cuts???? watcha mean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast