User Tag List

Thread: Motor mechanics/tech-heads please enter...(oil discussion)

Default Motor mechanics/tech-heads please enter...(oil discussion)

"The Worlds most efficient lubricant" - Guiness book of records, (1996)

Any and all welcome to the thread, but I was wondering if we could engage in some discussion in regards to motor oil. Specifically some new information to me is the additive of PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) particles, what are the benefits and is it worth it?

This information came to me when a work colleague and engineer informed me he had his vehicle serviced over the weekend. The mechanic suggested he try this product called Tefflex (I think, gold star to whoever can find something along the lines of that on the INTERNET!) Basically its a US product, an additive of sorts if I understand correctly. 380ml with interesting properties which is said to increase performance, increase mileage, cut friction and wear.

As I said I can't find the exact product but what seems to be a rival product as detailed below. Thoughts and opinions on this? Apparently its primarily available in the US as it does not meet AUS standards yet or hasn't gone through testing?? Hence not readily available on the market here

Source: www.tufoil.com

In early 1980, Frank (an experienced pilot) was flying above the Hudson River. Looking down, he noticed all the smog and gas emissions emanating from the cars in the city below. He decided then and there that he was going to “have to do something about it”.

The experience sparked an idea for a cleaner atmosphere, which led to the invention of Tufoil.

Frank applied his knowledge of teflon based lubricants towards creating an oil additive to make car engines run smoothly and efficiently. It took ten years of work to get it right – the results were astounding.

In 1996, Tufoil was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as “The World’s Most Efficient Lubricant”. To date, no one has broken this record.
    Tufoil has a pure synthetic base of the highest quality possible. The magic in Tufoil is the incredibly tiny size of the PTFE particles suspended in your oil.

We’ve got the answer and the proof! These photos below are taken through a Scanning Electron Microscope and compare the particles in Tufoil with the size of a human hair:

Tufoil’s suspension particles are .5 to.05 microns in size so it mixes beautifully with your oil and can’t clog up your oil filter.

The Benefits of Tufoil:

When Tufoil engine lubricant mixes with your engine oil, two things happen.

1. Your oil is changed into a highly efficient engine treatment with an extremely low surface friction.
    2. As your engine runs, this Tufoil-enhanced oil coats your engine, filling in the “nooks and crannies”.

Now all the moving parts of your engine can glide against each other without causing deadly heat friction. The results are impressive:

• Faster cranking speed under all weather conditions.
    • Better gas mileage
    • Increased horsepower and acceleration
    • Extended engine life.

With that said, said work colleague has tried the oil in his Toyota camry (old car 1991 or something) and has noticed an improvement, increase in power, throttle response. He has also tried it in his motorcycle (my ex 250cc I sold to him) which is a ZZR250. Possibly more power although its hard to tell on such a small engine but he has said throttle response seems better.

My question/discussion is, who has heard of it, who has tried it, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by rogwick; 28-02-2011 at 12:20 PM.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I heard about a product many years ago and your stors sound familar, it is ment to very good.
    I cant remeber if the product was a once off treatment that gave awesome service life of an engine but do remember hearing that a motor that did have this treatment ran without seizing after it some how ended up with no oil in it!
    Im sure its able to be used in manual transmissions and is great for Hilux/landcruiser owners who have experienced internal leaks from transfer case to gearbox.

Was ment to be ducks nuts!

Didn't have time to read the whole thing but it sounds a lot like the Nulon oil aditive they've been selling at supercheap auto for the past 5+ years

Long Term Engine Treatment - Nulon Products Australia <---something like that

I got put onto LiquiMoly Engine Protect, and have to say I did think it made a difference to my car. Was reluctant to post for fear of naysayers etc...

PTFE is commonly known as Teflon. Same stuff as is on non-stick frypans etc.

Theory behind it is ok.
    HOWEVER
    One must be very careful, its a VERY bad idea to mix 2 synthetic products together.

Oils are pretty good nowadays, i think you would be far better off just using decent oil. Its not really needed.
    Without looking into it, you'll probably find most oils now already have it, or something similar.

Never been a fan of additives, just a band-aid solution usually

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    PTFE is commonly known as Teflon. Same stuff as is on non-stick frypans etc.

Theory behind it is ok.
    HOWEVER
    One must be very careful, its a VERY bad idea to mix 2 synthetic products together.

Oils are pretty good nowadays, i think you would be far better off just using decent oil. Its not really needed.
    Without looking into it, you'll probably find most oils now already have it, or something similar.

Never been a fan of additives, just a band-aid solution usually
    Agree with Brad on that, the technoligy in oils no is amazing! they way its rated is awesome.

I also agree with Brad.
    It seems to be a 'friction modifier', and as far as engines oils go these days, it's not needed. Just stay away from oils that advertise 'magnetic molecules'. There's no such thing. If there was, it would be bad for an engine.
    Nice find, Andre. :2thumbs:

Cheers Jon!

Yeah I thought it was an interesting find! Toddy, the stuff my work mate used is around $68 for 380ml so much more expensive than the nulon stuff. Said workmate claims he can feel a difference in power in his camry, however this could be just a matter of new oil and a clean service. I experience better "go" after I've had a service. As for the 250cc bike he claims better response. He did offer I can ride his bike (my ex) but I told him its hard to tell as I now have a 600cc so I can't really tell if your 250cc is running good? I reckon I would try it if I had a cheaper vehicle, just to see if there is a difference. Bit nervous throwing it into the vehicles I have now.

This is true, many oils are pretty good nowadays but this is new to me as I wasn't really aware of many additives as I've never used such before. Same I've never been a fan of additives as they are just like band-aid fixes, however this wasn't really designed to "fix" as such, rather "improve" or so they claim...Perhaps this may be a good solution to motors with higher kilometres?

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Cheers Jon!

Yeah I thought it was an interesting find! Toddy, the stuff my work mate used is around $68 for 380ml so much more expensive than the nulon stuff. Said workmate claims he can feel a difference in power in his camry, however this could be just a matter of new oil and a clean service. I experience better "go" after I've had a service. As for the 250cc bike he claims better response. He did offer I can ride his bike (my ex) but I told him its hard to tell as I now have a 600cc so I can't really tell if your 250cc is running good? I reckon I would try it if I had a cheaper vehicle, just to see if there is a difference. Bit nervous throwing it into the vehicles I have now.

This is true, many oils are pretty good nowadays but this is new to me as I wasn't really aware of many additives as I've never used such before. Same I've never been a fan of additives as they are just like band-aid fixes, however this wasn't really designed to "fix" as such, rather "improve" or so they claim...Perhaps this may be a good solution to motors with higher kilometres?
    A rebuild is better suited to older engines Lmao
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    A rebuild is better suited to older engines Lmao
    Lol true! But then again, I'm not a mechanic, take the cheaper option until can afford another car!

So I get to work this morning and I have the empty bottle of the product (I'll add photo's later) It's indeed called Telflex IV. Work-mate was telling me on the bike shifts are definitely smoother (not sure on power increase, perhaps a touch but hardly noticeable) 13,000RPM shift is smooth and quick as well as throttle response after shift. I remember shifts were average on the bike so perhaps this is an improvement. The main difference is in the car. This however could be related to some new oil (not necessarily the additive) anyway, he's given it a shot and reckons a difference can be felt. I guess opinions are speculations until one tries for ones self.

FYI $65 for 380ml bottle.

M P S