User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Die-ing Turbo

Since we're on the topic on turbo (sorry to thread-jack, clarry!), I have a beginner question about turbo. I'm still in the learning stage bout turbo charge engine.

Why is it a bad idea to to upgrade to a bigger (i.e GT3076) with stock internals? Is it because the stock internals are not built to handle that much boost/power/pressure from a bigger turbo? If that is the case, can't it be overcome by tuning the car? Example, the stock turbo is running on 15PSI. So with a larger turbo, can it be tune to run at 10PSI so that it doesn't over stress the internals? However by 'downtuning' a large turbo, the power created will not be as good or worse than a stock K04 output?...

AM I CONFUSING YOU GUYS??? Cause I am now!
    Addicted to Boost.

CES were not going to hi-flow the turbo, Trevor enquired about it (I had my BNR stage 1 at work for a looksy) It was an external option.
    All the cars that have made 200+kw have been tuned @ Chiptorque (or APC) only running 18psi max. Standard turbo - Not hi-flowed.

BNR hi-flow the std turbo with GT28rs internals (stage 1) It is fine for the MPS. It can be done in Australia too, you just need to find the right company to do it.

You can run a 30/76 on std internals, it all comes down to the tune. Yes, the std turbo is lacking, but, it was fitted for a reason, low down torque. Torque is what drives cars. Fitting a larger turbo may actually relieve the low down stresses on the engine and allow the torque to "come on" gradually, rather than aggressively like std. A 30/76 is way to big for a daily driven car, it should be fitted for someone chasing numbers.

The perfect turbo is a GT28/76r with 0.63 rear housing running around 18psi boost. Boost comes on 400rpm later than std and it'll make power to redline. If you want more boost and power, fit the 0.86 rear housing and it'll be good for 260+kw @ wheels. I fitted the 28 to mine and I had all the Yanks saying it was too small, seems I've run the numbers with a smaller turbo than them.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Thanks Troy! I'm less confused now. Did you run stock internals with your 28?

I found a local company that does turbo rebuilt. - ATP - Advanced Turbo Performance - Turbocharger Repairs Rebuilds Replacements and Sales, Melbourne Australia

Have anyone use them before?

100% std internals and 100 std fuel pump too. It's good for 360Hp @ wheels (100% duty cycle of course)

So a 28 or BNR Stage 2 turbo is a worthy upgrade as it is a straight bolt on (no other fabrication I assume?) and does not require an engine rebuild... hmmm... I already have a FMIC, 3" TIP and 3 an half inch full exhaust system... still short of a DP... I wonder how much KW the MPS will pull with all the supporting mods, a 28 and a proper tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    So a 28 or BNR Stage 2 turbo is a worthy upgrade as it is a straight bolt on (no other fabrication I assume?) and does not require an engine rebuild... hmmm... I already have a FMIC, 3" TIP and 3 an half inch full exhaust system... still short of a DP... I wonder how much KW the MPS will pull with all the supporting mods, a 28 and a proper tune?
    troy's 3 pulled 257(ish)kw atw
    so, would expect 220-230kw at all 4 wheels for a 6
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    troy's 3 pulled 257(ish)kw atw
    so, would expect 220-230kw at all 4 wheels for a 6
    All true.

I'm fitting a 28RS to my current car 1.8L. With supporting mods (same as an MPS), it's listed at 220Kw @ all 4s. You should be good for 220-230 easy.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Thanks for the info guys! This will help me when I decide to go bigger!

Yes, very useful info. Thanks all

Dan

So.. I've taken up smoking too it seems, how did you end up going?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12