User Tag List

Thread: Need Urgent Help with buying a 2006 MPS 3

1. Default Need Urgent Help with buying a 2006 MPS 3

Hey Guys,

A couple of years ago I had a 2008 Mazda 3 MPS which was a fnastic car which I had no problems with it. But time came for me to sell it so I sold it.

Anyways, I am about to my a 2006 MPS to save a bit of cash and the car roughly has 95,000km. I inspected the car by myself on friday and Oil was fine, the car didn't look to be in any accident and was actually serviced at Mazda about 1000km ago.

Anyways after a test drive I saw the engine was realllly loud especially a belt sounding really loud. I so I informed the guy that the belts seemed off. I mean whats the point of buying a cheaper car to save money if there will be problems??? Anyways I just received a call from him and he has mentioned he is getting the timing belt replaced now at Mazda for $2200 and that it will have warranty on the belt.

I just want to know your opinion guys of whether a 2006 mps with 95000km usually would require a new timing belt? Is it normal at this many km's for the car to have such a loud engine noise and belt noise?? My previous mps didn't sound any where near as loud and bad as this car. I am not too good with engines guys so absolutely any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you guys!

Timing belt replaced? ...It's a chain, no?

3. Default

Oh I thought it was a belt? Could of been a chain? So which is it? Anyways, regardless of that is it common or normal for these belts/chains to be replaced at 95000km or for them to have problems like this?

Any help or advice would be great

I'd be telling Eddy Mcguire lock in Timing Chain. The chain doesn't need to be done at 95,000kms. Usually the chain is done when the motor requires significant work overhaul or in some cases not at all. Belts usually need to be done around 100K kms. It should say in the hand book if you ask to have a flick through it

Chain

Owners manual could have mention of replacement.

Awesome find, and very useful. I award 1 gold star
    Yeah, not sure what the owner is talking about mate getting the timing done...?
    Also this might help you out too..heaps of info and links all related to purchasing a vehicle (specifically MPS)
    Hints and Tips for purchasing a vehicle

7. Default

I don't know why my posts keep getting not published...dam...have to repost...

Many thanks for the responses guys. Appreciate it loads. I just spoke to the lady at liverpool mazda service and she said they don;t habe either (timing belt nor timing chain). she must be clueless. She is saying it is getting I think if I recall the continuous valve belt or somethign along those lines replaced? Anyways is it normal for this belt or any other belts to experience problems or to be replaced at 95000kms?

thanks guys

Lol apparently the MPS doesn't require timing by that logic! Nah its definitely a timing chain mate and you shouldn't be experiencing noise at those kms. Perhaps it could be valves you're hearing? I haven't done high kms so I can't comment from experience on any noise related issues at higher kms.

Check the water pump though as there is a belt running off that as well as I know the pump can fail (this may/may not have a noise as I experienced a clack clack clack noise after my water pump was replaced which went away in a short time. Also check the belt tensioners are running true and not vibrating (warped or out of alignment)...?

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-talk/5105-noisey-valves-startup-mps-6-mps-3-gen-i-cx7

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

MZR engines have no timing belt, only a timing chain.
    They DO have a drivebelt, which runs the accessories; ie, waterpump, alternator, powersteering and A/C.
    Drivebelts have no service schedule, same as the timing chain. Drivebelts get changed when they are worn.
    For $2200, sounds like they replaced the timing chain... Sounds odd that a chain could stretch at 90odd K's. But, if they have, the noise should be gone and the car should run fine. Make sure you get the workshops details in case something goes wrong.

If in doubt, don't do it.

You WILL regret it. Save your money for the car that feels "right"

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    If in doubt, don't do it.

You WILL regret it. Save your money for the car that feels "right"
    +1

By the way, there's a 2006 MPS3 for sale on this forum. He posted today. Can't remember his name. Paul maybe. Looking at $25G's. Hunt it down

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Here's the thread...

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-mps-sale.html
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

12. Default

Thanks for all the help guys. Yeh true, I guess if you don't feel right about something, don't go ahead with it. Yeh he said its the timing belt/chain. Very stramge that it would need to be replaced at 95000km. It is really cheap thats why I am pursing it. I am talkign about $17-18$k so I'll see how it sounds after he replaces it.

I just miss my old mps that I had thats why I am pursuing another one.

thanks again for the advice guys

$17-18k? That's cheap enough to immediately ring alarm bells as to what is wrong with it. I'd be checking the written off vehicle register, REVS and anything else I could get my hands on.