User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: GenII MPS3 - Camber & Tyre Wear

Hey guys, sorry to drag up an old thread. I'm about to be a MPS gen 2 owner, pick mine up on Friday. These inner wear issues have me a little concerned, I have read through the entire forum and am a little confused. Let's say for the time being I wanted to keep stock suspension and just add a RMM and sway bar. What would I need to buy/get/do to eliminate the uneven wear and prolong my tyre life. What's the minimum amount I can spend to get even tyre wear and is there anyone in or around Canberra who has experience with these issues and can adjust them out?

@Lachlan ?
    Not sure of any other long term pu owners here...
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 18-03-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Default GenII MPS3 - Camber & Tyre Wear

I thinks it's a problem with too much toe on the oem alignment, coupled with a bit of camber, which results in dragging the inner tyre.

I always get decent 4 wheel alignments (used Bob Jane and Jax so far) and rotated tyres. Never had a problem (although I'm happy if I get 20k out I my tyres, they are at least fairly evenly worn ha ha).

Just ask for no (or very little) toe in at the rear, minimal camber and get the alignment printout (you can read up on suspension theory if you want to decide how to set it up). Toe and camber are adjusted together, so if you can't get the result you want, you can buy either adjustable toe arms (try 2xs) or camber arms (corksport, jbr, many others) which let you adjust them independently. Then just monitor your tyres. rotate them regularly, and enjoy!
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    I thinks it's a problem with too much toe on the oem alignment, coupled with a bit of camber, which results in dragging the inner tyre.

I always get decent 4 wheel alignments (used Bob Jane and Jax so far) and rotated tyres. Never had a problem (although I'm happy if I get 20k out I my tyres, they are at least fairly evenly worn ha ha).

Just ask for no (or very little) toe in at the rear, minimal camber and get the alignment printout (you can read up on suspension theory if you want to decide how to set it up). Toe and camber are adjusted together, so if you can't get the result you want, you can buy either adjustable toe arms (try 2xs) or camber arms (corksport, jbr, many others) which let you adjust them independently. Then just monitor your tyres. rotate them regularly, and enjoy!
    Thanks mate. From my reading the front toe in and camber can be adjusted being stock but only the rear toe in, is this correct?

20K out of a set of tyres seems such a little amount, have you adjusted your toe in and camber or is that 20K with stock toe in and camber?

20k is just because I run semi slicks (ad08/rs3) and beat the shit out of them! Lol
    You can't do much with front camber stock, except by using suspension slack. I think you can adjust front toe though? @Reedy has a better understanding of that I would guess.

My limited understanding is that both can be adjusted in the rear (and that's where most of the inner tyre wear happens), but they adjust together. I.e. You move one bolt which affects camber and toe at the same time, so it's a compromise. Hence why people get either camber or toe arms to isolate one from the other. Does that make sense?

Edit: looks like it can happen in the front too. I'll pull up the stock alignment specs when I get home.
    Last edited by Lachlan; 19-03-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Here we go. Specs an adjustments.

The factory specs give massive margins of error for toe in (200% for the front, and like 125% for the rear). Means your toe can be shot to hell, but still within 'factory spec'.

Go to a shop and give them the actual specifications you want and they should be able to do it. They will also be able to tell you if they had any problems and you can work out what you need to upgrade, if at all.
    Last edited by Lachlan; 19-03-2015 at 12:52 PM.

Cool, am speaking with 2xs about getting some of his adjustable toe-in arms.

8. Default

The Gen II's have a different Toe/Camber setup that causes this don't they? Other than that, the difference in sides can usually be attributed to road camber...

tasche iphone 6
    Last edited by chiprose789; 10-07-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Just curious, how much for the toe arms? I'm keen on getting the same myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MPS00M View Post
    Just curious, how much for the toe arms? I'm keen on getting the same myself.
    You can hit up troy here http://www.2xsracing.com, otherwise there are some for sale here also http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18970

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678