User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GenII MPS3 - Camber & Tyre Wear

Default GenII MPS3 - Camber & Tyre Wear

So I had my GenII booked in on Saturday for a alignment, balance and rotation.

Tyrepower refused, as the inside tread was worn significantly.

I opted for a 2nd opinion at Bob Jane T-Mart, who also confirmed that the tyres are pretty much illegal.

Pricing on the Dunlop SP2050's $600 ~ $700.

Looking at replacing with Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra's - 225/40/R18s. (Happy to take advice from anyone in respect to other options...)

Problem is, my MPS3 has only done 22,600km!

Any other GenII owners having issues with tyre wear...?

NB. Remainder of tyres prolly have >10,000km left on them...
    Last edited by CharlieBrown; 20-02-2011 at 01:07 PM.
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

was it all 4, or just the fronts? i know on mine, pre-vic cruise i got my tires rotated, and the ones that were originally at the front, had the inside 2-3cm totally smooth... the outsides were fine, 50-40% tread left

Left hand side = worse than the right side, but, fronts cooked more than the rears.

The Gen II's have a different Toe/Camber setup that causes this don't they? Other than that, the difference in sides can usually be attributed to road camber...

Heres the Drivers Side Front...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F_DS_1.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	7579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F_DS_2.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	7580
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Drivers Side Rear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R_DS_1.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	7581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R_DS_2.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	7582  

Pass Front:

Name:	F_PS_1.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	7583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F_PS_2.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	7584  

Pass Rear:

Name:	R_PS_1.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	7585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R_PS_2.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	7586  

Know totally what you are saying Dan!
    My fronts were absolutely gone around the time of the floods....same thing.....massive inside wear. Rears weren't as bad but were illeagal and had to be replaced as well. After discussing with several tyre shops they all seem to think that the cars setup is such that the tyres will always wear first on the inside .
    Here's what one of my fronts ended up looking like....after 30,000km (pretty happy with that)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	7587
    Apparently my allignment was fine so that was not the cause as had a couple of places check it before they were replaced.
    Ended up going with the Kuhmo KU31's 225/40/ R18 which I've been very happy with so far....about 1000k's on them now.
    2009 3MPS Lux | Aluminium | 3M Black Tint | CES Racing SRI | 2XS SSP | 2XS/ CES Twin DP | 2XS TIP | 2XS FMIC | cp-e 75 duro REM | Turbosmart BPV | Sure Motorsports - Countershift & Anchors | Eibach Pro Kit Springs

Cheers Trent. What did they sting you for each corner?

When I had the H&Rs put in, the tyre shop did a wheel alignment and I was surprised to find how much 're alignment' was done. I posted up the figures in my 'Caff Mobile' thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    Cheers Trent. What did they sting you for each corner?
    $240 each fitted balanced and aligned. Could of got the tyres cheaper from tempre tyres but as it was the week if the floods I couldn't get much quickly and I needed something asap. If you want to test them let me know.
    2009 3MPS Lux | Aluminium | 3M Black Tint | CES Racing SRI | 2XS SSP | 2XS/ CES Twin DP | 2XS TIP | 2XS FMIC | cp-e 75 duro REM | Turbosmart BPV | Sure Motorsports - Countershift & Anchors | Eibach Pro Kit Springs

Hi Dan, i've gone through a very very similar story with my Gen 2 already.. 1st was my "clutch" issue, the "tyre" issue was the next problem around the same km as yours when i had to get the serviced. Inside wear was too "significant" so when they serviced it they recommended it to be replaced, but still rotated it and balanced it for free @ Mazda. So after the clutch thing, within 2 weeks after i got my car back i realised that my car was shaking scarily @ highspeeds (110km/h) So again back to Mazda i went.. as i thought it was to do with the clutch work.. Long story short, i ended up visiting the service department a couple of times all of which were unable to identify the problem.. (they ended up keeping it for 2 weeks) Apparently they did everything (balance, rotation etc etc) it was still there along with the "wong" sound which they later said was the LSD fluid that they replaced when they did the clutch work (as most of u on here would know).

Anyways, apparently Mazda came down to the conclusion that it was the tyres.. even though wear wasn't too bad the inner edges were getting thin especially at the front. I ran around to find quotes for these Dunlops, they were bloody expensive and for the same price u can get higher performance tyres (in my opinion) I settled on Yokohama S drives @ bob janes @ around 400 bucks a corner.. When they were fitting it the guys at bob janes told me that the weights that was used to balance the wheels @ Mazda wasn't done correctly (as in it was spread out throughout the wheel as opposed to being in 1 corner) so whether it was the tyres or the fact that it wasn't balanced properly i still have no clue lol But in the end i was very happy with the S drives as they held on great in both wet and dry.

Hope this helps dan!

To me your tyres do not look that bad. Only ? able one is the front drivers side.

Mine were a lot worse than that when I replaced then at around 35,000 km

I think you will find all the Gen2's wear like that from the inside

I had to get all of mine replace on my car, the camber was wrong and it ruined my back wheels first. $1200 later.... only done 25,000

16. Default

I have the same problem. 20k done. Haven't rotated the tyres yet because the fronts are pretty much shot. Massive wears spots on the insides. Don't know if it's an alignment or camber problem.

After reading the Tyre Thread, I've opted to get prices on the following

• Toyo Proxus 4 - 225/40/R18
    • Kuhmo KU31 - 225/40/R18
    • Maxxis MA Z4S - 225/40/R18

No one could get a price over the phone for Sumitomo's (Yeldarb's)...

Altho, I'm getting some prices on some Falkens as well...!

18. Default

Did you call tempe tyres? They would have the best prices I would imagine.

Don't get the Proxes4's, they are crap and after 50% they get dangerous in the wet.

Federal 595 225/45 R18 - $205ea (Better than the Proxes4, but start off a little slippery).
    Last edited by Jeev; 21-02-2011 at 07:57 PM.

20. Default

I have the some problem but not as bad.
    Dan A good sit for resurge on tyres > Tire Search Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast