User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GenII MPS3 - Camber & Tyre Wear

God mine are no where near as bad as that and I have 23k on mine. Driving to mudgee this weekend as well.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat as everyone in this thread -- I was told at the 30 000km service that I needed to get some new tyres. I'm thinking of getting some from tirerack but I've got no idea who to use to fit and balance them. Any recommendations in Canberra?

3. Default

I always go to Jax in Phillip, buy my tyres there and I also have them do all my wheel alignments/rotations and balances, they should fit tyres for you

What about this, I dropped into Pedders the other day to make some adjustments to the adjustments I made :P

The Pedders man said they made an adjustable Control Arm for the rear suspension (The area highlighed with the red box). In terms of controling Camber, surely this has to work.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    I always go to Jax in Phillip, buy my tyres there and I also have them do all my wheel alignments/rotations and balances, they should fit tyres for you
    Cheers, I'll try them. For what it's worth, I bought 4 x Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/40 ZR18 from Tirerack for US$1100 delivered... not yet sure how much Customs duty will be.

6. Default

Thats great, Im sure other people will be keen here to hear what you think of them, be sure to do a write up in the tyre review thread

7. Default

Leelu where is Fulcrum? I think I need to have them do to my car what they have done to yours. I just had my 6 month/10,000km service with 7000km on the clock and was told my dunlop 2050s would have maybe 3000 more kms in them! They didn't rotate or align anything just told me they are buggered and that I have a MPS so deal with it

All this after blowing a gearbox in less than 48 hours and 150kms of being new, and being told by the salesman that the 'wong' noise coming from my diff is a guard that stops the tyre rubbing, and the service tech saying it's just two stage diff that sometimes does that in particular circumstances. Definitely changing dealerships!
    Last edited by Timc; 31-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timc View Post
    Leelu where is Fulcrum? I think I need to have them do to my car what they have done to yours. I just had my 6 month/10,000km service with 7000km on the clock and was told my dunlop 2050s would have maybe 3000 more kms in them! They didn't rotate or align anything just told me they are buggered and that I have a MPS so deal with it

All this after blowing a gearbox in less than 48 hours and 150kms of being new, and being told by the salesman that the 'wong' noise coming from my diff is a guard that stops the tyre rubbing, and the service tech saying it's just two stage diff that sometimes does that in particular circumstances. Definitely changing dealerships!
    HOME - Fulcrum Suspensions
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by angled View Post
    Cheers, I'll try them. For what it's worth, I bought 4 x Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/40 ZR18 from Tirerack for US$1100 delivered... not yet sure how much Customs duty will be.
    Had the tyres fitted this morning, they're very grippy. I also had the wheels aligned... and it seems as though they didn't quite centre the steering wheel beforehand as having it dead middle causes the car to veer to the left Taking it back tomorrow morning, hopefully they can fix it.

Camber is like -2degs back and -0.5 in the front for me.. fkn chew my tryes!

ah-ha
    just clocked 24,000km and at my service yesterday my dealer told me I need new tires. I did not really believe them until I took a look at the tires...eeek!! they are cooked!

I did expect that tires would be chewed on these cars due to the setup and being a front drive with this much power. Thats the price you pay...

Quote Originally Posted by angled View Post
    Had the tyres fitted this morning, they're very grippy. I also had the wheels aligned... and it seems as though they didn't quite centre the steering wheel beforehand as having it dead middle causes the car to veer to the left Taking it back tomorrow morning, hopefully they can fix it.
    I had this problem of the car veering left when I had my Pirelli PZero Rosso's fitted

I got the tyre place to fix it which resulted in the car veering right. Back and forth for 3 weeks and 2 brand new Tyres and they gave up.

1 visit to my Mazda dealer and the car was driving perfect and the Tyres are fantastic.

The Mazda dealer stated that they do have some problems wheel aligning the GenII and often they have to tinker with it to make it go straight

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

I spoke to the owner of my local privately owned tyre dealership regarding these issues.
    He stated there are a few components made PEDDERS, FALCRUM, WHITELINE and others to give a few more degrees and millimetres of adjustment here and there for both camber and toe.

But for the cost outlay we aren't talking THAT much more adjustment.

His recommendation was to:
    - ALWAYS keep tyre pressures UP,
    - Rotate tyres (NON-directional design give greater rotation options) every 5,000klms - can be done in your garage with a trolly jack and x4 axel stands and 1 hour of your time,
    AND
    - Regular x4 wheel alignments.

Tyres on any car cannot and should not be neglected...
    MAZDA 2 DE GENKI
    PEDDERS SportsRyder lowered | KUMHO KU39 LeSport | OPAL Corsa 17" alloys
    CORKSPORT Short Shift plate, F&R strut brace, SRI & air duct | CUSTOM exhaust

for the rear, you can get either a offset bushes or a control arms to change camber.

offset bushes $120 = -1.0/+1.0 degrees
    control arms $260 = -1.5/+5.0 degrees

for a stock height mazda 3, the bush should be fine to bring the rear camber closer to -1.0.
    but for a lowered mazda 3, the arm would be better suited, as you need about 3 degrees adjustment to bring it back to -1.0.

personally i think it is money well spent. $120 to extend the life of you tyres 10,000km per set.

specs (toe/camber) i see for mazda 3 amaze me for a street car. especially the specs mazda allow/describe for a mazda 3. it is someone from a car car. woth some tweeks to the settings, you'd easilt get 5-10,000km extra from a set of tyres, even before you supply aftermarket parts to make further adjustments.
    Last edited by projectrracing; 15-09-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Thought I'd give a quick update on my new KU36's after having this inside wear issue....

I'm happy to report that after approx 5,500km I've got no sign of inside wear as yet. Had the tyres rotated by Mazda a couple of weeks ago, then a wheel alignment done with Fulcrum at Browns Plains last week. Also been checking tyre pressure pretty much every two weeks or when I fill up, and running 40 in the front and 38 in the rear. Am pretty stoked with these tyres so far

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Timc View Post

Hey Timc,

Apologies I didn't reply to you here, I've been off the forum for a bit. I took my car to Nick at Fulcrum Browns Plains (on Troy -2XS's recommendation). I've just had the second wheel alignment done with them and as you can see from my update things are great. The guys obviously know what thy're doing and the service is great. I hope you got your issues sorted .

Linda
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Well.. After one of the first few who first discovered this issue last year, my current SECOND set i feel is starting to let go at just 37,000km (swapped out the dunlops @ 23,000km) Which annoyed me alittle bit because i have got them aligned and rotated every 5000km. And they are not even semi slicks.. Yokohama S-Drives. Anyway, i found out after putting some new wheels 18X8.5 with a 45+ offset on them, got on the highway @ approx 110km/h there was fair bit of vibration.

The vibration felt exactly the same as when the FIRST set was about to let go, Mazda had my car for about 1 week or 2 to figure out what was going on and concluded it was the tyres at fault. This was one of the 1st few cases.. Did anyone discovered their issue this way? Or am i the only one?
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

Well after 22,000klm I was up for 4 new tyres!!!

I ended up getting the S-drives and will keep an eye on them.
    With Mazda saying "it's a performance car and deal with it" is a croc of shit! And doesn't wash with me to be honest....
    I have owned PLENTY of performance car's in my time (FWD, RWD & AWD) and none of them had this problem and always got good even tyre wear.
    Had:
    Mitsubishi Evolution III ~12.0@114mph~
    Mitsubishi Evolution VII ~12.8@106mph~
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:
    ~07 Ralliart Colt ~14.85@96mph~
    ~2010 Velocity Red Luxury MPS 3.
    3" CAI, K&N, Race pipe, Silicone Intake pipe, Custom Intercooler heat shield, LED Conversion, Gloss Black Wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by NQMPS View Post
    Well after 22,000klm I was up for 4 new tyres!!!

I ended up getting the S-drives and will keep an eye on them.
    With Mazda saying "it's a performance car and deal with it" is a croc of shit! And doesn't wash with me to be honest....
    I have owned PLENTY of performance car's in my time (FWD, RWD & AWD) and none of them had this problem and always got good even tyre wear.
    too much toe out on the alignment. it ain't the cars fault sorry.

This is how I brought the car from the dealer! I got them to fit a new set of S-Drives and full wheel alignment.

Good to see it passed the mandatory legislation on roadworthiness of a vehicle upon sale and transfer of registration...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast