User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GenII MPS3 - Camber & Tyre Wear

Quote Originally Posted by zippymps3 View Post
    I believe half the problem is that they fitted Dunlops to the Gen2 and Dunlop Tyres have always been soft and crap grip and crap wear. All you need is the alignment out slightly and they wear badly across tread really quickly, they nearly caused me to take out a fence in my GTHO back in the 70's got them changed and have never bought them or a car with Dunlops as standard tyres ever since.

I run Yokohama Sdrives now and they are unreal in all areas.
    Actually, Yokohama tyres are renowned for having a soft compound that disappears from under you. ADVAN V103 Sprts - 13,000kms, making it the worst wearing tyre I've tried on the car, including some pretty soft Street Comp Tyres.

even wear is what i'm getting at as I've said before on the forum true high end performance tyres and longevity will never go together.

No tyre fights please guys... this is about the amount of camber and wheel wear

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    No tyre fights please guys... this is about the amount of camber and wheel wear
    You're a tyre fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    You're a tyre fight!

Areed

+1

Asking a std car to handle corners, have good traction in a straight line and have a long wearing tyre life is too much.

Ask for 2 of these items and go from there.

Or modify the car to improve the aspects that the tyre is trying to acheive, eliminate tyre wear and save your coin.

Camber is good for cornering, but wears tyres in straight lines
    Toe is good for cornering, but also wears tyres in a straight line.
    Hard compound tyres don't handle.

You can remove camber and toe to imprive the tyre wear issue, but, it will sacrifice teh handling ablitlies. This is were you need to start to modify the std items to regain teh handling and retain good tyre wear.

My 2 cents.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Troy is right

Suspension tuning is a game of compromise. You cans gain something without losing something else.

Also changing camber will have little effect on tyre wear.
    Instead of wearing just the inner edge, you'll wear the whole tyre in very close to the same time.
    The advantage of having the camber is that you can turn the tyres around so the warn edge is on the outside.

Personally I think the tyre wear is more to do with dunlop tyres that are notoriously soft

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    Actually, Yokohama tyres are renowned for having a soft compound that disappears from under you. ADVAN V103 Sprts - 13,000kms, making it the worst wearing tyre I've tried on the car, including some pretty soft Street Comp Tyres.
    but jeev ur not exactly easy on your tires

ive run AD08s the softest of the advan street tires i have managed to get 34000ks out of them with a trackday & regular mountain runs, admittedly they are totally rooted now... i got around 30,000 to 35,000 cant remember exactly out of the stock bridgestones

i found i get uneven wear just driving around but when you add some trackdays and mountain runs i got more even wear...

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Asking a std car to handle corners, have good traction in a straight line and have a long wearing tyre life is too much.

Ask for 2 of these items and go from there.

Or modify the car to improve the aspects that the tyre is trying to acheive, eliminate tyre wear and save your coin.

Camber is good for cornering, but wears tyres in straight lines
    Toe is good for cornering, but also wears tyres in a straight line.
    Hard compound tyres don't handle.

You can remove camber and toe to imprive the tyre wear issue, but, it will sacrifice teh handling ablitlies. This is were you need to start to modify the std items to regain teh handling and retain good tyre wear.

My 2 cents.
    What would you consider long tyre life Troy? I at least thought I'd get to 20,000 on mine before having them declared unroadworthy just because of the inside wear.

Tyre wise - I think I'm now considering the KU31's over the ContiSport Contact 2's....
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

I was having a chin wag with Troy on Satdy (I think...?) - I'm considering a sway bar and adjust the camber/toe out to neutral... and allow the sway bar to fix the ass end up... Is that right Troy...?
    Last edited by CharlieBrown; 04-04-2011 at 10:15 PM.

I just had my first big service on my Gen II - 10,000kms at the Mazda dealer where I bought the car.

Just over $300 it cost me. They rotated front to back and did a wheel balance and alignment. Also said the front inside tyres where worn a little more than usual and that this is common on the MPS, even more so on the RX-8. (Was that suppose to make me feel better ? )

After reading this thread I'm thinking it's a common problem.
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    I just had my first big service on my Gen II - 10,000kms at the Mazda dealer where I bought the car.

Just over $300 it cost me. They rotated front to back and did a wheel balance and alignment. Also said the front inside tyres where worn a little more than usual and that this is common on the MPS, even more so on the RX-8. (Was that suppose to make me feel better ? )

After reading this thread I'm thinking it's a common problem.
    It is, and according to Mazda......in a nutshell......you've bought a performance vehicle so you just have to deal with inside tyre wear. I should really scan that letter and post it up actually....... Well that's what 2 of us owners received in the letter from them, a third owner that reported the same issue here in Brissy got told they don't know anything about a tyre wear issue from head office, and to arrange for the field tech to be at his next service so they could check it out. I'm starting to lose a little faith in Mazda, after this tyre wear issue and the fact that I was blatently lied to by my service dept on the issue of the cruise control disengaging on downhill slopes, they fixed this issue in another MPS at the same dealership but told me they weren't aware there was a problem.

Rant over, soz the last part of that was a little of topic.

I've just put Kumho KU36's on mine Monday just gone, then got Fulcrum to do the wheel alignment, they're aware of my issue and have adjusted the wheel alignment specs to hopefully help me get a bit better wear out of this set of tyres. It was very annoying having to replace the Dunlop's with so much tread left on a majority of the tyer .
    Last edited by Leelu; 13-04-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

I'm in the same boat (surprise, surprise) with the inside wear - was told at the 20,000km service that the tyres maybe had 2000km or at a stretch 3000km left in them. Was very disappointed but I can understand that having a performance based car with a completely different camber setup when compared to my old car will achieve this wear - if only I had thought of that when purchasing the car (my responsibility, so I wear that).

Am going to try and eek these out to at the very least 25,000kms before replacing them - ideally I would prefer around 30,000 from the Dunlops but I might be pushing my luck. Looks like I'm up for a set of tyres every year, since I lease my MPS and have to do a minimum of 25,000kms per year! D'oh...
    WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING
    Current Ride: 2010 Mazda3 MPS Luxury :: Next Ride: 2015 Skoda Octavia RS Wagon

To get more tyre life you can rotate the tyres, not front to back but have the tyres taken off the rims and swap left to right.
    Ie. The inside will now be the outside.
    Do that and you should get nearly double the tyre life.

Also, some will disagree, but truth is, if you adjust the camber so the tyre wears flat, you will only get a slight improvement to life, if any at all.
    All that happens is that you wear the whole tyre out, not just the edge.

For maximum life, swap the tyres like I said.
    Before the days of unidirectional tyres you used to rotate them front right to rear left for that reason.

Have the same "issue" on mine as well. Inside of the tyre's on mine have started to go, not to bad atm.

I have 20k on my car now, is it worth rotating as suggested Brad or just get some new tyres

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

I've just got mine back from being re-aligned.
    Noticed a slight vibration through the car while getting up to speed (60kph)

Below are the specs and therefore, the reason for the vibration.

BEFORE:
    Rear Camber: LH -02°29' RH -02°04'
    Front Camber: LH -01°40' RH 00° 58'

AFTER:
    Rear Camber: LH -02°08' RH -02°25'
    Front Camber: LH -01°23' RH 01° 25'

BEFORE:
    Rear Toe: total +4.1mm
    Front Toe: total -3.7mm

AFTER:
    Rear Toe: total +4.9mm
    Front Toe: total +1.3mm

It has been recommended to invest in some adjustable rear camber arms, to ensure correct settings and increased tyre wear.

Anyone have any suggestions on good adjustable camber arms to buy and where from?

Muz
    Last edited by MUZZA; 09-06-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    MAZDA 2 DE GENKI
    PEDDERS SportsRyder lowered | KUMHO KU39 LeSport | OPAL Corsa 17" alloys
    CORKSPORT Short Shift plate, F&R strut brace, SRI & air duct | CUSTOM exhaust

Get in contact with 2XS (Troy), I recently had coilovers fitted with adjustable camber arms for the rear that he supplied!

Edit: When I had my alignment done, rear camber was a lot closer to -1degree (-1.04) I think I saw.
    Last edited by thelegend64; 10-06-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Only just looked at this thread after being told I would be "needing new tyres soon" at my 30k service. I've been keeping an eye on them and am at 36k and looking to replace them within the next week or so, although I didn't look at the inside edge of my tyres so it's possible I've been driving illegal for 6000kms? Either way, I managed to get 30k out of mine and while I don't drive like a granny, I'm not a maniac (most of the time).

Hmmm... conundrum!

I still haven't changed the tyres out and am about to hit 26,000kms.

I'm driving from Ballarat - Bowral (NSW) in a fortnight, and doing some driving around Wollongong. Now, the insides are wearing, but nowhere near down to the radial (as seen on Page 1 of this thread) - the tyres still grip really, really well so I'm tempted to leave them on until I get back - but have received a quote for Kumho KU31's at $190 each fitted & balanced (which seems very good for the tyre).

I guess I'm thinking out loud, common sense says replace them before they're too far gone (and the last thing I want to be doing is driving back from NSW on a space saver)!
    WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING
    Current Ride: 2010 Mazda3 MPS Luxury :: Next Ride: 2015 Skoda Octavia RS Wagon

This was after 3400kms..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309984594.729721.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	8995  

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast