User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning tips?

Default Cleaning tips?

Just gave the baby her first clean. I simply used a cotton hand mit in warm water, washed in sections, dried with a good quality chamois, rinse both and do next section with clean water. This is on a cold surface under cover. No streaks and all grime came off easily.

How do you wash your baby? Do you use any products etc.

Now to the wheels so I'll see you in 3 hours!

Hand mitts are good as long as they're of a high quality and kept in good condition. I normally use two buckets. One with car washing detergent, the other with plain water. After doing a section of the car, I rinse the mitt on the bucket of water to free any debris that is on it, so it doesn't transfer to the soapy water, or back onto the car (where it might scratch the surface)

For car wash, I use Prima Mystique from ZAS. it's a top quality product. I've found give better results than Polyglaze etc

For drying I use a waffle weave towel, also from ZAS. it soaks up water well and minimises surface scratching.

I then finish it off with a spraying of Prima Slick or Hydro (ZAS again) and a light (deep pile) polishing cloth

For windows I use Megs No Smear Glass Cleaner and a micro fibre cloth

For wheels I use ZAS Wheel Armor, then polish with Prima Amigo, with the occasional quick spray of Hydro every few weeks (being careful not to get it on the rotors by spraying the cloth itself)

For tyres, I use Blackfire Tire Gel. Can be a bit messy to use, but goes on easily enough and lasts a fair while once applied

And that's about it for my normal routine.

For detailing, the process and some of the products used are different because you're wanting to achieve a slightly different result (Ie obtain a scratch-free high gloss from the ground up as opposed to bring out what's already there as best you can)

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

OCD much dan?

For a "normal" clean,
    A once over with the hose, set the nossel to jet, blast off what I can
    Then, bucket with dish washing detergent, and a sponge
    Hose down again
    Chamois
    Prima slick + micro fibre

Insane clean:
    A once over with the hose, set the nossel to jet, blast off what I can
    Then, bucket with dish washing detergent, and a sponge
    Hose down again
    Clay bar
    2x banana gloss
    Prima slick with micro fibre

Obviously the insane clean only happens when I really want car looking good
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Wet car down, wash with microfibre wash mitt (Rasta Mitt) with Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner including wheels.
    Waffle Weave dry off, then Meguires Spray Detailer with two microfibre cloths. Tyres once a month Amor All Tyre Gel (contains silicone lasts well).
    4 years old now and still shines like new.

Thanks for the tips. The wheels didn't take too long after all. It's all on the finger action!

I used to use dishwashing liquid on my old car but my ex said it was bad for the duco so too scared to use now. I have a friend who once used Jiff on her white Commodore. I told her not to tell her hubby that lol.

Lookin good.

Shit photo

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Thanks for the tips. The wheels didn't take too long after all. It's all on the finger action!

I used to use dishwashing liquid on my old car but my ex said it was bad for the duco so too scared to use now. I have a friend who once used Jiff on her white Commodore. I told her not to tell her hubby that lol.
    Dishwashing liquid isn't necessarily bad for paint or clear coat. It will however remove any waxes or polishes that are on top of it. So that's why it's not great to use when doing a normal wash.

When detailing though, very different story. I use Morning Fresh to wash the car because I actually do want to remove any old wax or polish from the paint before the new polish goes on . Dish washing detergent is very good at stripping oils and waxes off a surface, however it has no protectant or shine qualities built into it and it will leave the car's clear coat totally exposed. That's why it should only every be used when you plan to completely re polish the car after the wash.

For day to day car washing I'd always always recommend a good quality car wash detergent. Something like Prima Mystique, as it contains protectants and brighteners that will enhance the clear coat and give it a small measure of protection

Jiff, not good in ANY situation

Dan

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Hand mitts are good as long as they're of a high quality and kept in good condition. I normally use two buckets. One with car washing detergent, the other with plain water. After doing a section of the car, I rinse the mitt on the bucket of water to free any debris that is on it, so it doesn't transfer to the soapy water, or back onto the car (where it might scratch the surface)

For car wash, I use Prima Mystique from ZAS. it's a top quality product. I've found give better results than Polyglaze etc

For drying I use a waffle weave towel, also from ZAS. it soaks up water well and minimises surface scratching.

I then finish it off with a spraying of Prima Slick or Hydro (ZAS again) and a light (deep pile) polishing cloth

For windows I use Megs No Smear Glass Cleaner and a micro fibre cloth

For wheels I use ZAS Wheel Armor, then polish with Prima Amigo, with the occasional quick spray of Hydro every few weeks (being careful not to get it on the rotors by spraying the cloth itself)

For tyres, I use Blackfire Tire Gel. Can be a bit messy to use, but goes on easily enough and lasts a fair while once applied

And that's about it for my normal routine.

For detailing, the process and some of the products used are different because you're wanting to achieve a slightly different result (Ie obtain a scratch-free high gloss from the ground up as opposed to bring out what's already there as best you can)

Dan

Cept I use Prima Clarity for the windows and different tyre black stuff

Oh, and I use a Megs Lambswool mit for most of the car and a another pink dodgy mit for the underneath of the skirts and inside the wheel wells.
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Haven't tried Clarity. I must give it a go to see how it compares to Megs.

Lookin good.
    Of course it is, you have an advantage..................

You bought the best colour in the range!!!!! VR FTW!!!!!
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Take car to professional detailer. Pay cold hard cash. Drive away with an awesome looking car and for zero effort haha

Quote Originally Posted by steviekfc View Post
    Take car to professional detailer. Pay cold hard cash. Drive away with an awesome looking car and for zero effort haha
    I have a number of Vic people whos cars I've detailed for just that reason

I've had a decent size scratch appear on my roof after I got it back from a hand car wash place and dirty water used on it to wash it when it was serviced.

Also ended up with interior damage and burnt and hacked rubber window seals on all 4 windows ($450 later from Mazda), from a Tint company. They did such a bad job, they had to pay for all the damage, and I got a full refund plus the job done properly from Motor One.

I am a little precious about my car and I am now the only person I trust with my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Leelu View Post
    I am a little precious about my car and I am now the only person I trust with my car.
    Which is exactly why I'd rather do it myself cause no one cares about my car as much as I do.

I also got my window tinting called Street Legal from Motor One but to be honest wasn't as dark as I'd hoped it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leelu View Post
    You bought the best colour in the range!!!!! VR FTW!!!!!
    Yes red is soooo sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    I have a number of Vic people whos cars I've detailed for just that reason
    How much, where?

I work out of my home in Surrey Hills

$150- $200 for a full day exterior only detail including

Wash
    Clay bar
    Paint correction (swirl, minor scratch removal etc)
    High gloss Polish
    Temporary silicon protection (good for a couple of weeks)

I recently did Pete's (BlueMPS) Gen II. Here: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/detai...how-shine.html

Price is dependent on size of car and condition of paint/clear, but will be no more than $200 for the day

I also do Prima paint protection, which is longer term protection than the temporary listed above (good for around 6 months) That's an additional $100 and an extra day (two days total to complete as the paint protection layers need time to bond and cure)

PM me if you'd like to ask anything further

Dan

Wow Dan. Might have to get that done one day. Thanks for the info.

Wow Dan. Might have to get that done one day. Thanks for the info.
    No worries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast