User Tag List

Thread: OEM Battery life expectancy

Default OEM Battery life expectancy

Hi guys. Anyone know the typical life expectancy of the OEM battery on our cars? How long did your OEM battery last? Or is it still going strong?

My MPS3 is reaching 4 years old. Just a bit paranoid it might go soon!

I've been told;

OEM battery 4-5 years
    After market battery 3-4 years

But it depends on how often you drive, distance travelled etc. Short frequent drives may reduce the life expectancy.

my OEM battery died last year (bad cell) cant remember what day/month but it was last quarter.

Bought a Supercharge MF75D23L as the replacement from Autobarnz

edit:
    O6 MPS3 battery to 2010 Q4
    Last edited by KRNAGE; 19-02-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Blog Entries

My battery in my 2005 Neo in just starting to have cranking issues...then again my stereo does suck a lot of juice but its done pretty well!

OEM MPS 6 battery lasted 3.5 years

Moved to the electronics forum

My 1st one died 6 months from new went overseas for 3 weeks and come home to a flat battery,it needed replacing under warranty and the car is 2 1/2 years old now this month.

OEM battery 4-5 years
    After market battery 3-4 years
    You are correct sir

I Still have the Factory Battery in my car.................However considering replacing it to smaller/ lighter weight Battery

The OEM batteries have a reputation for "sudden death" between 3 to 5 years. I would replace it at the 4 year mark and get a better cranker. I think the OEM is a bit "limp wristed". I could get a better quality battery for £56 in the UK - so not expensive.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I should start replacing my battery soon. I don't have roadside assist either

Anyone have suggestions of what battery to replace with? I usually use Exide with previous cars.

4.5 - 5 years on mine. It didn't die on me but was getting sluggish in winter so I changed it. It's cheap power. I always use Century or Bosch and get the heaviest CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) I can find that will fit the limited space available.

Stupid question..................but I cant seem to get the positive battery terminal disconnected (seems to be corroded on) this is the factory battery/ terminal im talking about.............anyone ran into this problem??? tips???

Ive tried the boiling water trick but hasnt worked.....................I almost want to crowbar it off!!!

Also untighening the bolt doesnt work as its like as i said corroded on the terminal!!! (tried a 10mm spanner/ socket and doesent move it)..................lol yes its the right size!!!

Dayne, best get confirmation on this before you try it but bicarb soda mixed in warm water and poor that directly over the terminals, should work a treat.
    Some google references for you, have a quick look yourself, if happy give that a shot. Also consider using a paint brush, or brush and rub the terminal while poring over

To remove the acid build on the battery terminals of your car or truck make a foam from 3 parts baking soda and 1 part water and brush it over both the positive and negative terminals.
    Make sure that you dry the battery terminals properly afterwards before starting the vehicle.
    Another note, I also use kerosene to clean my motor followed by soapy water after. Just be careful not to spray too much water at high pressure over sensors and electrical components.
    Motor comes up as new when finished if cleaned on a regular basis. Excellent selling point IMO too.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Yep my 3 year old oem battery is nearing the end of it. I never leave the fan on while im sitting in the car nor the bose for long periods. Battery life depends on use too. If its never run flat it will last longer

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Thanks.................Got it off with vice wrench and will replace tonight..............looky untidy and im being anal!!!
    Last edited by KLEEMO; 25-02-2011 at 03:43 PM.