User Tag List

Thread: Turbo and intercooler Pipes warning.

Default Turbo and intercooler Pipes warning.

Most of u are aware that on many occassions people have found that the OEM TI pipe has worked loose and needed to be retightened.

Today i was replacing the oem rubber TMIC 90 deg outlet bend and found this pipe to be loose also. The clamp to the manifold was about 3to 4 turns loose.

It is a real pain to get at as the clamp bolt is at the rear and u need small hands to get at it. I replaced with silicone hose and replaced clamp with better quality and mounted tightening bolt in a more accessable position.
    Any one loosing boost pressure or loss should inspect this pipe.
    OTOMOTO in NSW have quality 4ply silicone material at reasonable prices and there fittings are extra long so as to assist in cutting to suit.

Totally Agreed.

When I was installing the FMIC, I too have notice how 'soft' and easily the hose came out. I'm thinking of replacing that hose when installing the CP-E TIP. Found a local company (Turbo SX ) that makes silicone hoses.

I've noticed this too when i was installing my TIP & CAI. Almost all of the pipe work for the intercooler was loose. I thought the previous owner had modified the car and then returned it to stock before selling it, but it seems that the people at Mazda might be slacking off when building the car at the factory!

Probably caused by cold rubber at installation point and clamp can only be tightened so much . After use the heat generated causes rubber to become more pliant and then clamps loose tension.
    All new instalations of service rubber parts or replacement pipes need to be checked and retightened after run time . More so with turbo cars .

Doesn't hurt to periodically check all hose couplings. The boost lines can carry quite a bit of pressure and can leak or even blow clean off given the slightest looseness. Changing all the screw headed clamps to T-bolt fastening hose-clamps is a good move too, and also means you can use a hex socket drive, with flexible head as required to get at the tricky ones.

Years ago a friend of mine had a Telstar TX5 Turbo that when it was less than a year old blew off a turbo hose.

At the time it happened he was under full boost and overtaking a semi trailer on a single lane highway

Full boost...... Mid-way level with truck...... Zero boost...... Oncoming traffic.....

Fortunately he was quick enough to hit the brakes and pull back in behind the truck, before pulling off to the side of the road

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I meant to add that it's a good idea with metal turbo / IC pipes to ensure they have rolled lip at the ends to engage with the hose clamps. Straight unrolled couplings just don't make it! At least then if a clamp loosens off a bit, the hose may not fly off completely, this preserving some power in cases like the above.

Had the TMIC cover off today fishing around and found the rear IC hoses slightly loose so gave that a tighten!!! Glad i read this thread!!!