User Tag List

Thread: Ticking noise when i change gears

Unhappy Ticking noise when i change gears

hey peeps

ive got a ticking noise when im shifting from 2nd-3rd, used to happen whhen i was in reverse and going back into first but its starting to happen more frequently..

the sound like its coming from my passenger side tyre...

and also when i tend to go ovr bumps or or drive into my drive way i get a noise from my shocks sounds like its clunking like the shock is loose or something.. and this is on my driver side tyre and not my passenger..

any ideas ?

cheers

Sometimes it can be the simplest things...
    Have you checked the wheel nuts?

Perhaps get your mechanic to check the CV joints on your front end if this is the issue should be an easy fix.

If this happens under hard acceleration just after changing gears then the ticking is a nut that comes loose near the back of the engine...you have to drop the exhaust to find it but it just needs to be re-tensioned. Took Mazda days to work this out but it fixed it and has been fine since.

Also check your passenger side engine mount, they have failed abit aswell

links, sway bar, Engine mounts i would check.

bump, also have a similar problem but happens not just on gear changes but when you add to the power going through the engine, (eg whenever you load up the mounts) and also when you come off the throttle quickly
    audible from both sides, louder on drivers side though
    will only happen when car is on the ground and driving, cant replicate it in the air on a hoist

thinking the oil in the drivers side mount is gone maybe?
    80% sure its the mounts but dont want it to end up being a cv or a wheel hub or related when ice gone and bought a mount instead

Default Ticking noise when i change gears

Mounts die very very commonly on these
    Last edited by Rob777; 23-07-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling duh

so basically even if it isnt its probably a good ideato do it? It's done 104000k's

If ain't broke don't fix imo. Pretty easy to see if they need replacing with a visual inspection. Especially drivers side as you'll brown liquid substance everywhere around it. Rear usually u can see when u get underneath as well.

well im replacing the rmm next week regardless, if I can move it with my hand how much movement does it allow for when the engine is pushing 380nm of torque, I doubt my hand can produce more than 20nm on its own without leverage.....
    i'll have alook tomorrow i suppose

12. Default

I had this problem very recently. Mine turned out to be the passenger side drive shaft being dry and very slightly worn. Mazda regreased the shaft with slightly heavier grade grease and reassembled with great results. No more clicking noise. However, if the problem re appears the shaft will need to be replaced. Has been 6 months and so far so good. Hope this helps bud. Good luck

Thanks, much appreciated, if the mount doesn't help it at all I will probably check that next

14. Default

How many Kilometers are on your car?

Quote Originally Posted by brandonjATCorkSport View Post
    How many Kilometers are on your car?
    sitting just over 100k
    has done its 100 thousand service, before I bought it, bout to do the 105 myself

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sam aka 595SKJ View Post
    sitting just over 100k
    has done its 100 thousand service, before I bought it, bout to do the 105 myself

Is the ticking coming from the engine bay or is it coming from the shifter itself?

The other issue I'm thinking is your RMM.
    Cheers,
    Brandon Johnson
    CorkSport Mazda Performance
    (360)260-2675 ext. 106
    BrandonJ@corksport.com

CorkSport.Com

just got a corksport rmm, its neither, coming from the left (mainly) and the right occasionally, sounds more like mounts or struts tops

If you still have the ticking noise, might be worth while having a look at the timing chain tensioner. This can wear away and let the timing chain flop and slop around a little. The ticking noise is the stretched timing chain hitting on the timing cover/tensioner.

I have a similar Ticking/Clicking noise that i can replicate by letting clutch out in 1st and Click! and then doing the same in reverse... Click!! repeatedly!!! its a loud Tick/Click that seems to be coming from the engine bay area? all mounts are fairly new (less than 1 year), drive shafts are 2 years old, I've checked most bolts that might be relevant? the greasing of the drive shafts that i just read above may be a solution?? I'm open to any other ideas??? will post any further findings as they happen... cheers

I have 2 cars with this issue, both cars drive shafts nuts are tight as **** and one had seized splines. The current car I have pulled apart for engine rebuild and found that the duel mass flywheel had lost its fluid and may possible be the offender.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	17499  
    Last edited by MPS2NV; 11-07-2015 at 06:46 PM.