User Tag List

Thread: cold air inlet + daytime running lights - MPS3

Default cold air inlet + daytime running lights - MPS3

What i am planning/thinking?
    • remove stock foglights
    • black mesh over foglight holes - where to find balck mesh?
    • run cold air pipe from behind foglight hole to air intake
    • install DRL around foglight, using foglight wires
    Potential issues
    • water getting into cold air pipe - although gravity should keep most of it out?
    • sourcing decent flexible DRL - any suggestions?
    I'll see how it goes.

Check out KLEEMO's thread on this

Yeah, I would be nervous with hydrolock with this mod mate. Keep in mind the forward motion acts as a RAM-air and on throttle the intake is sucking in.

Both these in combination make for a much easier means of water suction...

Oh and to ozMPSclub!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Welcome Mate,

I recently had a CAI installed and HP-F removed the standard air duct that sits to the right of of the front radiator scoop maybe of you just re-model a duct there to be safer?

When people are concerned about water getting in the intake are they thinking of the CAI going under or larger amounts of rain/spray landing on the Filter?

James

just did this exact Mod...............See as Rogwick stated!!!

Theres a bit of trimming needed to be done, to front bar, surround holdings, and even a few cm's off the Front support bar

Lots of air gets through & no water at all (drove through big puddles) flooded roads the other weekend when Melbourne was flooded and no dramas!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	7501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	7502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	7503  

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Welcome Mate,

I recently had a CAI installed and HP-F removed the standard air duct that sits to the right of of the front radiator scoop maybe of you just re-model a duct there to be safer?

When people are concerned about water getting in the intake are they thinking of the CAI going under or larger amounts of rain/spray landing on the Filter?

James
    Maybe that's a better idea, keep the stock foglights and remove the stock duct and run a pipe from its position next to the radiator up into the airbox, or just next to the airbox so at least the surroundings are flooded with cold air.

Alternatively, what about running a pipe down from the airbox and facing it sideways or backwards near the undertray. it won't get the ram effect, but will still suction on cold air.

The stock inlet to the airbox is so small. Should i cut a new one?

Also, any opinions on the MZR intake? maybe buy MZR intake, make an airbox out of a plastic battery box or something and add a cold ram air feed from the front bumper << i like this idea most, but obviously costs most money

ahhh - so many ideas, not enough time and money to implement them all

Or you could run a boxed SRI, ducted from the wheel well. Exactly like Kleemo, again.

If you have your heart set on DRL's. I fitted flexible LED strip lights to Duglets car a few months back. They come in 20, 40 and 60 cm lengths. The cost from $5 piece for the shorter ones.

Progress:
    Bought an MZR intake. installed. All good

Today, driving home from work. Got CEL, car started spluttering and shaking. turned on ok, but was not idling properly or accelerating smoothly.
    pulled off the road, looked in engine bay. the T-bolt clamp holding the intake pipe to inlet pipe had rubbed against cables next to battery, until they rubbed right through one of the cables.
    pulled off intake by side of road, got a small cable connector, reconnected damaged cable. car started and is running perfectly.
    Only thing is now the auto driver window function is not working?? ANY SUGGESTIONS???
    came home, got some black irrigation hose and wrapped in around the cables to protect the cables from suffering the same fate again.

to fix auto window, hold your finger on it going down for a few secs (even when its all the way down) then do it for going up (again hold it up while its all the way up) then you should be good, so push down once

im running without a fog light for my CAI and not really worried unless i have to drive through a flooded road - most CAI's are tilted up at the end so it would have to be at least half way up my wheels for me to suck water in (id say close to 3/4's up on a standard height MPS3)
    Last edited by KRNAGE; 09-03-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Former 06 Black MPS3

EXE-Crew

Haven't had that problem........ But when I installed the TIP I did remove a metal bracket that held those wires so it wouldn't rub/ foul the tip

[QUOTE=KRNAGE;160986]to fix auto window, hold your finger on it going down for a few secs (even when its all the way down) then do it for going up (again hold it up while its all the way up) then you should be good, so push down once[QUOTE]

thanks for that, worked perfectly!!