User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Drive - Ford Focus RS

Default First Drive - Ford Focus RS

Ford Focus RS

Hold on tight as we ride in the fastest Focus ever built!

February 2009

Stand by for action! This is the most desirable hot hatch of 2009, and the fastest mainstream model in Ford’s history. Auto Express has been given exclusive access to the Focus RS, with a scarily fast passenger ride in the car that’s the star of the free magazine in the centre pages of this issue.

The man allocated the task of giving us a drive to remember is rising motorsport star Matthew Wilson – son of legendary rally driver and Ford WRC team boss, Malcolm Wilson. He’s the perfect pilot to get the best out of the RS, a model inspired by the world rally Focus and the ultimate roadgoing Ford flier.

And we certainly found the ideal location, in the shape of an empty airfield where Matthew was able to push the newcomer to its limits. The result is pure entertainment. Our driver demonstrated a blur of hand and foot co-ordination and enjoyed complete mastery of the car, even when sliding sideways at considerable speeds.

High speed is what the Focus RS is all about. Fans of fast Fords have been eagerly anticipating a new RS since 2002 – and we’re pleased to report the wait has been more than worth it. This is one mean machine which transforms the Focus from family-friendly motor to a true macho beast.

Brutal

Power comes from a modified version of the 2.5-litre five-cylinder turbocharged engine found in the Focus ST, but with 301bhp, performance is brutal – the benchmark sprint from 0-62mph takes only 5.9 seconds. And if you are lucky enough to have your own runway, you will see that it is quite capable of hitting its 163mph top speed.

Under the bonnet, a host of hi-tech gadgets means it grips the Tarmac like a second skin.

And the jewel in the crown is something called RevoKnuckle, a very clever suspension system that dramatically reduces the torque steer which was the Achilles’ heel of the last Focus RS.

Owners will quickly fall in love with the new model, because as well being a track stormer, it can also serve as daily transport. Thanks to a Jekyll-and-Hyde personality, it cruises serenely at high speed, the engine settling to a gentle hum. But as soon as the driver floors the accelerator, it once again becomes a true powerhouse, the characteristic off-beat warble of the five-cylinder engine entering the cabin.

And whatever mode you are in, two figure-hugging Recaro sports seats ensure a fabulously comfortable ride. These are part of a racy finished interior, which features carbon fibre trim and underlines the fact that the RS is no ordinary Focus. This impression is echoed by the exterior, which boasts an aggressive front end with a low splitter and deep air intakes, plus a huge boot spoiler and rally-inspired diffuser.

Jost Capito, head of the Ford RS performance division, believes this is the best RS ever – and that’s a major claim when you consider some of the great Fords that have carried the legendary badge since 1970. We’ll deliver our definitive verdict when we get behind the wheel next week. But on the basis of this exciting passenger ride, the 1,800 customers who have already splashed out £24,995 are getting a model which is worth every penny.
    Source: Autoexpress Images: Autoexpress

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_301818_25.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_301820_25.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_301821_25.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_301822_25.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_301823_25.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	323  

Last edited by duglet; 19-02-2009 at 10:07 PM.

Nice, rub it in our faces...

Blog Entries

Looks nice...

Oh sweet Jebus.... I'm getting a white one.... If they ever come here

Thats hot!!!

The specs are pure sex, but I'm not feeling the interior - dash and instrumentation. Seats look nice though.

Blog Entries

Stay tuned...I should have video footage of Tiff, taking it through its paces on Tuesday morning.

I expected it to be faster from 0-100kph.

Also dont like the interior, it looked a lot better it the photo shoot not so sure anymore.

I'll be happy to keep the MPS instead

That car is soo HORN!!

looks damn nice. has some power too

i actually like this machine!! what sorta money are we talking!! and release dates!!! ???

hey corza, go ya halves in one over in the UK?

yesh i want it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    hey corza, go ya halves in one over in the UK?
    Sounds like a plan mate

dOttY Guest

Yeh, looks nice, probably handles like it's on rails too... BUT at the end of the day, it still has that FORD badge on it, & that's a deal breaker for me!

Oh, wot's with those oval air vents! Ugh!!

I'd rather push my MPS than drive a FORD!...I have morals, yanno!
    Last edited by dOttY; 23-02-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Blog Entries

You know the MPS is made up of Ford parts right?

Quote Originally Posted by dOttY View Post
    Yeh, looks nice, probably handles like it's on rails too... BUT at the end of the day, it still has that FORD badge on it, & that's a deal breaker for me!

Oh, wot's with those oval air vents! Ugh!!

I'd rather push my MPS than drive a FORD!...I have morals, yanno!
    Brand snob

dOttY Guest

Quote Originally Posted by armthehomeless View Post
    Yes I do know that to be the case... I am happy living in denial, however!

Quote Originally Posted by armthehomeless View Post
    As long as the part is not that ford badge is all good
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

anyone else notice how close the break and go peddle are.... and how far the clutch is away ??

heel and toe heel and toe.. slide 2 3 4..............

sounds like a pretty cool little machine !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast