User Tag List

Thread: Fixing Gen II Rear Parcel Shelf Rattle

Default Fixing Gen II Rear Parcel Shelf Rattle

I've noticed that my rear parcel shelf has started rattling/shuddering, particularly on rough roads. As one who abhors rattles of any kind, especially in a new car, this has really been annoying me.

I've found that the issue is actually caused in two places:

- The string clips that attach the parcel shelf to the rear hatch

and

- The clips that attach the parcel shelf to the point behind the rear seats

Here is the fix I've done to resolve the issues.

String Clip Fix

What you'll find is that the clips, once attached to the hatch, rattle around a fair bit. There's a lot of play in them, more so than is actually needed. This play causes a plastic on plastic rattle. It's easily fixed though

For this I used some rubber weather stripping, as it was what I had on hand, and it had an adhesive backing, which allows it to stick to the inside of the clip.

I cut the strip into a short length (around 1.5cm), and put it inside the clip

It now clips snugly into place. No plastic on plastic contact, whilst still allowing the clip to pivot when the boot lid is moved up and down

Parcel Shelf Fix

This issue is caused by the parcel shelf itself moving left and right. This is due to the fact that again there's some play at the point where the shelf attaches to the posts behind the rear seats (a good half a centimeter or so).

For this, I used some 3M rubber grommet feet that I had spare from some IT equipment I had. You can also use a couple of reasonable sized plastic washers and double-sided tape to similar effect. Again though, the grommet had an adhesive backing, which meant I didn't need to use double sided tape.

I punched a hole through the grommet and then, with a sharp knife, cut out a section to the diameter of the parcel shelf post.

I then fitted the grommet over the post and stuck it to the plastic at the base.

As the grommet was quite thick, I only needed to do this for one side of the parcel shelf.

I didn't worry too much about making it overly neat as it's very well hidden when the parcel shelf is in place (see pic below)

The parcel shelf now fits snugly into place, but again still has just enough movement to allow it to pivot up when the boot lid is opened

The parcel shelf is now completely rattle free. Hope this helps others who have the same problem

Dan
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 10-02-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I tried to find the clips you are talking about, but I could not get my parcel shelf to move...

Maybe the weight of the sub is holding it down to tight???

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    I tried to find the clips you are talking about, but I could not get my parcel shelf to move...

Maybe the weight of the sub is holding it down to tight???

Chris.
    Heheheh Yeah it's a bit different for an MPS6. This is really only for Gen II hatches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Dynamat baby

I had a similar problem with my Gen1..Im not sure if the parcel shelf setup is the same in the Gen2, but the Gen1 parcel shelf is actually held down with magnets that protrude from the plastic moulding that the pacrel shelf sits on. This is what holds the parcel shelf in place. This magnet is held in place with a clip type setup inside the moulding, if the clip comes loose, then the magnet will not protrude and there for not hold the shelf in place..This is what happened to mine and it caused the shelf to move around and make plenty of noise

Thanks for the tip

That will come in very handy.

Nice work Dan!!

Nicely done Dan, nicely done

You're a regular handyman

Gees Dan, you're cleverer than the average bear!

lol cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Gees Dan, you're cleverer than the average bear!
    Al, I get about as angry as the average bear when it comes to rattles and squeaks, so necessity is absolutely the mother of invention in this case

On my gen 1 the parcel shelf was creeaking real bad from the day I bought the car, so I ended up smearing a tiny bit of black grease (same color as trim in boot) on the places where it makes contact with the trim and noise has since gone.

really just a temp fix since it will catch dust and dirt then would have to clean it all up again.

I have to admit that Mazda has done a bit of a dodgy job on the parcel shelf, compared to the MK4 Golf U used to have which was all done really nice with retractable cords and real sturdy material.

I guess can't have it all right????
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

quick fix 30sec...... super glue or take it out

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    quick fix 30sec...... super glue or take it out
    Yeah mine is only in about 10% of the time. always putting my back seats down and can never be bothered putting it back in.