User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member with brake issues

Default New member with brake issues

Gday all , My Oct 2007 silver MPS is now over three years old and just had its 60k service. The local mazda service centre said I need new front disks when I just expected pads. at the 20k service I mentioned that a toyta worker had commented on how the disks looked ( put shit on mazdas) but the service people said it was normal. Now they say I need to pay for their replacement. Is this normal or am I being conned. Is it hard to change the disks yourself. Why is there always crap on the front mags from the pads. Show I get someone else to service it. Was promised 6 years warranty at start if only serviced there, so only local mazda dealer have worked on car.

Sorry for the quick questions here, but i felt like venting b4 I looked around the site and gf wants to go out now. (why are blondes always cranky

Cheers folks
    Bye for now

to the forums, that's a hell of a first post

The stock front pads are shockers for brake dust, i often find myself thinking I have different wheels front and back... aftermarket pads are your only solution to fix that...

The rotors also only have like 1mm of wear before they need replacement, so if you live in an area that's hard on brakes, you can chew through your brakes pretty quickly

at the girlfriend, hope you got smacked for that... most non-car people get cranky when you spend time with your car rather than paying them attention
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Yer mate the brake pads will quickly turn your mags black if your a tuff driver hehe, but if your half decent with your hands it's pretty easy to change the rotors on a car, but I'd fork the $50 or whatever the labor fees are just to save yourself the time (it's much quicker to do when the car in on a hoist than when you have to jack it up one wheel at a time)

Gl matey!

aardvark and cranky blonde GF

If you require front rotor replacement at 60,000kms...that is pretty typical actually on a MPS. I've clicked 42,000km and I'm getting new rotor's next service as well as a mate in his 6MPS (we're buying together) I think it comes down to two reasons, the stock pads are pretty aggressive on the stock disk, or the stock rotor is made of a soft compound. I don't know enough to comment which is the case or maybe a case of both. My advice, don't get stock rotors again as the same will happen again. Just FYI - I'm most likely going to get some DBA 4000 series slotted front rotors, can't comment how hard they are to fit (I would say not too difficult though) But I'll be getting my mechanic to fit them on next service.

The crap on the wheels is brake dust as mentioned above. If you're cleaning your rims/painting callipers or the like DO NOT breathe that stuff in! Count yourself lucky you don't have a friend who purposely rubs his shoes up and down the spoke to reveal a single clean line mark then point and laugh...solution paint your rims black! lol You can't really get rid of brake dust however various brands of pads offer varying levels of brake dust. I know Bendix pads give off a lot of brake dust although they don't squeak as much as some types.

Note, there's probably no need to replace the rear rotors but just give them a check to be sure. To put you in a ball park figure, a mate of mine got DBA 4000 Series slotted rotors for $650 fitted I believe. You will pay more at a dealer servicing though, just a ball park figure

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

5. Default

Ive just cliked over 70,000k and my brakes are still in good condition

Welcome by the way ... and not all blondes are cranky

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Ive just cliked over 70,000k and my brakes are still in good condition
    Need to use them more BB

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Need to use them more BB
    Nah, use the other pedal to the right.....its more fun

Welcome
    Here's a link to the MPS garage brake section, might be a good place to start looking if your buying aftermarket.
    http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/sea...1--brakes.html
    Last edited by Lachlan; 10-02-2011 at 07:34 PM.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

welcome, i use Hawk ceramic low dust good cold great when hot. Yeah BB u drive to slow need to use all pedals

Welcome aardvark.
    I bought my mps6 with about 60k on the clock. The rotors had just been replaced.
    That sounds about right,
    My lovely, shiny, slinky, gorgeous, stock alloy rims look like cr*p after about 1 week.
    But gee my car stops well.

Have fun and enjoy your car.

Hi Everyone
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the great advice. Will go after market and dump mazda service. Will give me a chance to make other improvements to improve umm shall we say fuel economy. ( especially to the cranky blonde ) who is currently sleeping I should be out mowing the lawn but I'll leave that for when shes awake. ( let sleeping blondes lie )

Cheers

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Hi Everyone
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the great advice. Will go after market and dump mazda service. Will give me a chance to make other improvements to improve umm shall we say fuel economy. ( especially to the cranky blonde ) who is currently sleeping I should be out mowing the lawn but I'll leave that for when shes awake. ( let sleeping blondes lie )

Cheers
    MPS with interceptor clone at Silverton Hotel - Where are the snowdens of yesteryear ( catch 22 )

Don't forget that most of your braking is applied to the front wheels.

If you want to keep your extended warranty, you can probably buy the parts and just get them installed by mazda?

I think I'll dispense with mazda altogether. The cranky blonde is actually a qualified fitter , would you believe it. So she can do the services with my help ( She likes to be involved ). I did buy the disks from the mps garage and the ceramic pads. I also figure I can buy more stuff and claim its to improve fuel economy
    Cheers

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

I think I'll dispense with mazda altogether. The cranky blonde is actually a qualified fitter , would you believe it. So she can do the services with my help ( She likes to be involved ). I did buy the disks from the mps garage and the ceramic pads. I also figure I can buy more stuff and claim its to improve fuel economy
    Cheers
    MPS with interceptor clone at Silverton Hotel - Where are the snowdens of yesteryear ( catch 22 )

God I wish my gf actually knew or cared about anything automotive related!
    I get either blank stares or 'your car is new, don't fiddle with it!
    Anyway,good luck with the brakes, maybe write a review if they are any good.

I had exactly the same thing happen with my MPS6 at the 60,000km service. I didn't even expect pads! The discs were shot and the quote to replace pads and rotors was something like $600 or $800. So I ended up buying a set of DBA slotted and cross-drilled rotors from MPS Garage (just the Street Series) and I got a set of Mintex pads through a bloke selling them. I had to change the Mintex pads out after about 10-15,000km because they were moving around in the cradle (too small, even though the part number was correct). So I ended up going with Hawk HPS pads and they are great, low noise, and a huge improvement in dust.

Hi Stupidly I clicked on the link provided without checking which section i was in. Now I have a set of MPS3 rotors which are different. I noticed that some thing was wrong I received the invoice and I replied to the email b4 delivery but I received no reply. I have comfirmed that I have the wrong part with the manufacturer

In summary I have part number DBA 42692 where I should have part number
    DBA 42690 according to the manufacturer.

I am currently waiting to hear back from mpsgarage about how to swap them for the correct ones.

Sigh : I hope they replay soon

I think I need a beer

I'm at 57,000km now and I reckon my rotors are getting close to 1mm wear on the outer face. I'd guess that 60,000 kms all done is pretty normal. My Land-cruiser discs were replaced at about 100,000km, with no prior skimming. I'll look at alternative slotted rotors and research pads and fit them myself when the time comes. The Mazda isn't bad for brake dust. Try Kraut cars. Bimmers and Mercs have real soft pads and shed dust all over the place! Japanese cars are often thought of as having pads that are a bit hard.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

I bought the DAB disk and hawk ceramics pads which should reduce the problem . Once I get the rights disks I'll post a howto with photos. Me and the cranky blonde will do it.

19. Default

Actually now i read your at wollongong and have a cranky blonde passenger ... how old are you ?

Some time back I had a nice little play with a silver MPS6 i came onto the hwy off from the M7 and there was this nice silver MPS6 excited to play dodge the slow cars along the highway then they turned off towards wollongong exit near cambletown ... perhaps we may have met

Welcome mate, lots of help in this thread! I had my front rotors and pads done at 55,000km (I must've used my brakes too much) Anyway I went with the DBA 4000 slotted and Mintec pads bought from MPS garage the pads were less dusty than the stock ones and with installation it came to about half of what Mazda quoted! Was very happy with the result and slotted rotors look cool
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast