User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving my shift

Default Improving my shift

Hey guys

With all the options about, Id like to know how to improve my shifting

The issues i have are as follows

- Not directing into third correctly see's me griding alot
    - Shifting feels really notchy sometimes ( Ive had std engine mount checked)
    - when letting clutch out to take off car can seem jumpy at times as well as between shifts

From what i have read, the best thing for me is a shifter weight, and a new rear engine mount, What duro but??

Can you guys assist?

BUZURK, Hi. Search the threads on short shifters first. Then read the clutch threads. Then come back with your next lot of questions. Most of these have been answered in these threads.

Change the gearbox oil to a good quality synthetic, you wont be dissappointed.

One thing you can't get away from is that you have to change gears slowly in these cars because there are 86 syncronisers on each gear and each one has to take a turn during the shift. Alright maybe not that many, maybe 72.
    Last edited by kmh001; 08-02-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Consider changing the rear engine mount. I used to have the same problem missing 2nd especially and 3rd every other day. I'm using at CPe 60 duro and have nevver looked back since. Some guys like the 75 duro and I don't blame them... the feel is slightly better for the 75 but I was looking for a balance of comfort and vibration.

Oh...first few months fitting a new mount, u will notice the vibrations but u wont after that

I was in pursuit of better shifts in the MPS. the biggest improvement for very little side effects is getting a rear engine mount. If you want comfort get the cpe 60duro. I've also got the JBR solid shifters and SSP. This combo would be a great start

I've now also got a turbine tech front engine mount. its an improvement again on just the rear mount alone, however there is slight increase in vibes, but a more moderate increase in noise. I steered away from getting a gearbox mount as the vibes and noise apparently is quite unsettling.

I've still got the stock gearbox oil, which when cold is a bit rough. but gets better once its heated up. I will soon change the gearbox oil to something else to hopefully help with my 2nd gear grinds and when its cold

hey guys thanks for the replies, very helpful

So the engine mount inserts are not advisable? i might order 60 duro one from mpsgarage then in the next few days, this with a 2XS SSP would be a good start you think?

Engine mount inserts will help. But the aftermarket engine mount would probably be better.

It really depends how much vibrations concern you.

I have recently installed 2XS shifter base bushes, JBR short shifter kit including the heavier gear knob and changed the gearbox oil to Penrite SIN 75W85 GL4 oil (which has also eliminated the annoying WONG WONG noise) and it is a great improvement over standard, the shifts are shorter, much more direct and overall much smoother, they seem a bit notchy at times but I think that is due to me not yet installing my rear Engine Mount.

also last weekend I fine tuned my shifter according to that youtube video, the MPS3 shifter has some adjustment inbuilt into it and it has made the gear changes even better, all that is left for me to do is the rear engine mount.
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

How hard is it to change the Tranny Oil???

Im thinking the Shifter base bushes and weight? Thoughts?

Can anyone suggest some good quality gearbox oils to suit the 6 speed?

Bakis: Tranny oil is dead simple, if you wanna come over to mine I can do it for ya, takes no more than 20mins to flush out the old stuff and put in the new oil. Shifter Base bushes felt awesome from day one and the SSP and heavier gearknob felt even better.

Fletch: There is a whole thread on this in the transmission section of the forums, some mention Penrite SIN 75W90 oil which is a GL5 which is ok but the Mazda manual espcifies a GL4, I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty bits on this as is has been covered many times before, but I used a Penrite SIN 75W85 GL4 oil which seems to work quite well and my shifts are real smooth now when cold, only thing I have noticed is that when going up or down a steep drive way, say at a servo I can feel one of the front wheels free spinning while the one on the ground is not doing anything, as if the LSD isn't engaging correctly or something. Very much like a single spinner so I will be looking into the Redline oil which is also highly recommended for these vehicles.
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

as above getting shifter bushes will help along with a rear engine mount. after that look at a SSP if you want to make the throws shorter

after "feeling" toine888's "shifter" with only the 2XS SSP, getting the bushes would definietly help.

i went in this order for my shifter
    TRZ Rear Engine Mount - good
    TWM Solid Bushes - better
    TWM Shifter - bettererer (got it on a GB many years ago otherwise I would have probably gone with an SSP)

Hi all,
    Can anyone please provide a useful commentary on the improvement, if any, on their gearshift by the fitting of JBR solid metal shifter bushings to an MPS6? For example, refer http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...-bushings.html
    Please keep replies specific to the JBR brand and to MPS6, it will save a lot of red herrings and distractions.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 11-08-2012 at 06:04 PM.

i have the sure ones, not the JBR ones, but im not sure why you state just the JBR ones as they are the all the same design or very similar, shifting did feel a lot better and direct after the install, i was skeptical too about just how much of an improvement it was but i can say i was pleasantly surprised at the increase in feel and they are lighter then stock but like 40g matters

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

but if you really want to improve your shift you will need a gearbox rebuild with custom 38 tooth twin syncos instead of the 42 or 44 tooth triple syncos, makes it a heap easier to slam into gear, or dog engagement haha
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Thx Axspeed. I specified JBR as they have bushings on special right now and I was musing about buying them. I have no great need or desire to overhaul my gearbox, I'm reasonably happy with my shift but if it can be mildly tweaked at a small cost and without a complex operation, I will do it. I might put in a short shifter setup but haven't seen one I'm happy with yet, they all seem to have some quirks or not feel the same in all positions. I don't slam through shifts, launch or drag anyway. I have more respect for my transmission. These cars have such power that the few extra milliseconds lost taking time on a shift don't concern me much. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Chs.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

i did like the feel increase with the shifter bushings in i would recommend it as for a short shift plate as it trys to run the synco's through to gear faster they can cause grinding/shift thump, i am actually going to take mine out soon due to it causing shift thump during 1st - 2nd changes but that could also be my stuffed gearbox too, as i think my shifter mechanism in it is a bit screwed and a bearing or 2 has gone all gears are fine tho and its still going strong but im getting a s/h box soon and rebuilding this one with a new first and 2nd gear, the ratio slightly taller on both and the synco's i mentioned in my last post
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Hi Axspeed, thanks again. I agree that the first gear and certainly second gear ratios need to be stretched out, especially in Oz. I can imagine second's current ratio being more useful on an alpine road with multiple hairpins. You will see how out of whack it is from my gear -speeds diagram, (posted several times previously too) attached here. It is interesting what you say about the short-shift setups - exactly what I have noticed in several cars I have been in with a variety of them fitted.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Shift improvement update for those interested:

I installed the JBR Solid Shift Bushings on Friday evening, a 30 minute job. I can report a subtle but definite improvement in shift feel, crispness and directness. I'd say for the $30 all-up cost it has been a worthwhile modification.

The old parts (4 collets plus 4 rubber bushes) have gone into a labelled plastic bag and stored with all my other OEM bits that have been surgically removed.

they do more then you'd think dont they

20. Default

i certainly found that the bushings help remove (in part) the vague feeling in the shifter , primarily around the cross gate movement (i.e. 2nd to 3rd)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast