User Tag List

Thread: Potential MPS 3 owner looking to by a certain car off carsales.

1. Default Potential MPS 3 owner looking to by a certain car off carsales.

Hey all,

I am new to the forums and very keen to purchase a Mazda 3 MPS. I have just sold off my Evo 8 as it was not the best daily driver in the world and was a bit 'needy'.

I have taken particular interest in a MPS on carsales which looks like the perfect choice for me. I am a Bombers supporter and the colour scheme works amazing. It looks very nice, I have talked to the owner and has said it needs a few things done.

It needs it's rotors changed and the wheels are around 65%. Not sure when clutches need replacing but it has not had its clutch replaced. It has a few mods and stuff but I'm not overly concerened about that.

He has also serviced it every 10k, not 5k.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this car before or knows the owner or anything like that to give me an idea of how it was cared for.

Here is a link to the car: Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au

Thanks for all your help,

Nick
    Last edited by Nick; 04-02-2011 at 10:21 AM.

wow I remember this car.

It been on car sales for over a year. Original price was 28k

As above. This car has been on carsales for over a year.

I remember because it was on there when I was looking for an MPS. (Had mine over a year now).

Did not look at this because the price was alot more back then / wanted a stock MPS.

Isn't the owner a member on here? Looks familiar

5. Default

Yeah I think he is an owner on here. He said it got OzMazdaClub picture of the month in 09 so it is a certainty. It being on Carsales for a year is rather strange. Just concerned about service costs etc... not sure how expensive it is for MPS's. If it anything like an Evo.. clutch replacement and rotor replacement are going to hurt bad.

Looks like mine, minus the strips on the bonnet and my rims are 18 x 8's..

Servicing is normally under $400 Clutch anywhere from $1500 to $2000 where you go, and rotors are reasonable priced from DBA....

7. Default

That sounds more expensive than an Evo to maintain... I might be buying the wrong car here when it comes to running costs?

We were just discussing clutches in here What-does-mps3-clutch-look-like-250-000kms
    Also a mate of mine had DBA 4000 series slotted front rotors fitted, total price of the unit and installation came to $640 if I remember to give you an idea. Keeping in mind the rotor price is most of that.
    Typical service costs depends where you go really. I've been charged just over $200 from my mechanic for services. The last one was a major @ $220.00 (nothing really major needed doing) I'll be getting rotors next service.

Rino - where do you take yours for servicing?

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That sounds more expensive than an Evo to maintain... I might be buying the wrong car here when it comes to running costs?
    I'm speaking worse senerio, I pay $250 to $300 depending what I get changed eg. wiper blades air fiters etc... I like to change things more often than required to the book

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    I'm speaking worse senerio, I pay $250 to $300 depending what I get changed eg. wiper blades air fiters etc... I like to change things more often than required to the book
    Rino... you don't change your own wiper blades?!

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

11. Default

I just read that OEM clutches for the 3 MPS are around $1700. That is crazy.

Thanks guys for all your input.

I'm not sure if I should invest in this MPS or not still. Is a bit of a gamble me thinks. It has just taking me with it's overwhelming aesthetic appeal.

Sounds like all pretty average pricing for performance car bits and servicing.

Ask to take her for a drive mate. See the car in person and drive it. Might give you some idea to clutch condition rather just talking about it. It might not need doing at all.
    My mates MPS6 has clicked 70,000km on the stock clutch. I reckon his might have taken more of a hammering than that FWD MPS3 you see on carsales...?
    As you are probably aware, this place is a pretty good source for information and knowledge not to mention fairly welcoming and friendly. The more research you do the better. Knock yourself out browsing

M P S

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Rino... you don't change your own wiper blades?!
    Hah that's why I get it serviced for

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Ask to take her for a drive mate. See the car in person and drive it. Might give you some idea to clutch condition rather just talking about it. It might not need doing at all.
    My mates MPS6 has clicked 70,000km on the stock clutch. I reckon his might have taken more of a hammering than that FWD MPS3 you see on carsales...?
    As you are probably aware, this place is a pretty good source for information and knowledge not to mention fairly welcoming and friendly. The more research you do the better. Knock yourself out browsing

Dug has 170,000k's on the original clutch

My girlfriends ex-mechanic was charging $10 for replacement blades when I didn't think it was the right time to replace them, not to mention the blades he replace with come in a bulk pack and would be lucky to cost $20c each. For $10 I could have gone with the twin blade or silicone blade. But the other work he done was average, hence I broke the client/mechanic relationship and matched her with a better one! I tell my mechanic now not to worry about, blades, filters, lights as I can do all that myself. I would drop the oil too but I've needed other stuff done of late, so easy just to book the whole thing. I can justify the price my current mechanic charges me and I'm happy to give the business.

How does Rino know his car is due for a service...? There's sun damage cracks in the wiper blade rubber that require a replacement!

M P S

16. Default

Thanks guys, I would have certainly taken the car for a drive by now but as the thread suggests I am located in Tasmania and the car is in Melbourne. Just looking for some advice before I decide to fly over and have a look. The test drive will be the defining moment for sure.

I do servicing up here in Qld guys.

looks like bakis' car (james)

19. Default

The owner, I believe, is called Jed. There are a heap of 2006 red 3 MPS's in Melb at the moment so I'll have to test a few out