User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! From people of Perth especially...

Default HELP! From people of Perth especially...

HI guys, need to ask some help from you guys. I'm currently driving the 6 MPS, and my wife has got her MX-5. She is currently about 5 and half months pregnant though, and the talk about getting a family car has arisen. We're contemplating just swapping cars, but she hates the clutch pedal of the 6 MPS, that it's too heavy and the travel is too high/long. I've tried getting the Mazda dealer to adjust it at my last service, but they refused to...something to do with that "It is made at that height for a specific reason bla bla bla..."

So, my question is, does anyone in Perth know of a good mechanic I can bring my car to get the clutch pedal adjusted? I've read the clutch pedal adjustment thread, but I'm a complete noob at such things, there is a high chance of me stuffing things up! IF there's anyone in the Perth region that can help, that would be great...otherwise we may have to sell the MX-5 and buy another car, currently looking at either the SP25 or the Gold 118 TSI...

Thanks guys!

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

Sorry, thread title should read "From people OF Perth especially..."
    Last edited by rogwick; 03-02-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: edited title

Is your 6 MPS the 05 build? I believe that is model had the grabby clutch and would benifit most from the "clutch pedal adjustment" thread. It worked great on mine. The force required to depress the clutch pedal is roughly the same but its more consistant where as the stock setup used to get much harder right at the friction point which made it hard for some people to drive. I'm not sure if there is others way to adjust the clutch in this car to make it softer or shorter throw.

I know the clutch in the series 2 SP23 is very wife friendly as it take about the same force to depress as the accelerator pedal.

If your really stuck then maybe myself or someone close to your area can attempt the clutch adjustment for you. If i remember correctly it doesn't take very long.
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 03-02-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Hi Toddy22587, thanks for your reply. My 6 MPS is an 07 build, to answer your question. I'm not sure whether the clutch is grabby per se, I personally don't have a problem with it (probably coz I'm used to it, along with muscle memory...), but my wife does. But in your opinion, the clutch pedal adjustment doesn't actually change the force required to depress the pedal? That's interesting, coz it that was the case, I'm not sure it'll help solve the problem my wife has with it...

We're going to test drive the aforementioned cars this Saturday, but if I am going to adjust the clutch pedal, I may need help hey...like I said, I'm not particularly mechanically inclined.. Are you NOR or SOR?

I'm SOR in Huntingdale.

Seems a bit drastic to sell a car to deal with a temporary situation that potentially has an easy fix. I don't know of any one here but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Tried a different Mazda dealer? Melville Mazda Service are on (08) 93193610 - might be worth a chat if you haven't yet done so.

Maybe you can get a softer replacement spring for the pedal from somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ship View Post
    The talk about getting a family car has arisen. We're contemplating just swapping cars, but she hates the clutch pedal of the 6 MPS, that it's too heavy and the travel is too high/long
    It's more than likely I've missed something but what of the MX-5. Is it worth selling that and getting an user friendly family vehicle and still retain the MPS?

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Seems a bit drastic to sell a car to deal with a temporary situation that potentially has an easy fix. I don't know of any one here but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Tried a different Mazda dealer? Melville Mazda Service are on (08) 93193610 - might be worth a chat if you haven't yet done so.
    I know it appears drastic, but with wifey driving predominantly the 6 MPS after the arrival of baby, it's important (for us anyways) that we get it right for her. It'll be a shame though, coz both of us really do love our cars....I may give Melville Mazda a call and see, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    Maybe you can get a softer replacement spring for the pedal from somewhere
    Is that at all possible? It'll be an ideal solution if it is

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    It's more than likely I've missed something but what of the MX-5. Is it worth selling that and getting an user friendly family vehicle and still retain the MPS?
    Yes, the MX-5 is the one we're contemplating selling...it's a Limited Edition one too, and has retained it's value bloody well. However, my dear wife is quite fond of it, will be sad to see it leave...so unless we can get the clutch sorted, looks like we'll need a new practical car (choice of either the SP25, the Golf Mk VI 118 TSI, or potentially the WRX hatch, if the price is right...she's a bit of a hoon...)

Just a point mate, it would be in your best interests to avoid parkland Mazda, Wood Bro's is another recommended one by Shakespeare, although I've never been myself. Depends which is closer to you really, although I don't see them spending much time and detail on tinkering around. They usually only replace parts or do the basics of servicing. My GF has difficulty driving my MPS too.

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ship View Post
    Yes, the MX-5 is the one we're contemplating selling...it's a Limited Edition one too, and has retained it's value bloody well. However, my dear wife is quite fond of it, will be sad to see it leave...so unless we can get the clutch sorted, looks like we'll need a new practical car (choice of either the SP25, the Golf Mk VI 118 TSI, or potentially the WRX hatch, if the price is right...she's a bit of a hoon...)
    I see...Ultimately its up to you guys but from a practical sense, I would say selling the MX-5 would be beneficial as that's not really an ideal family car. The MPS6 is. She could always get a quick 4cylinder (Turbo or N/A) that might be more family orientated. I know what its like selling a limited edition. I've got ride of two stunner's in a last few years! I would say keeping the MPS would be the better option, but I'm sure I'm saying that cause I like my ride and I think a MX-5 would be the one to go in my eyes. How many kms has your MPS done? Would changing the clutch fluid help?
    Last edited by rogwick; 03-02-2011 at 03:08 PM.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

ROG re your "Just a point mate, it would be in your best interests to avoid ..... "

Agreed. I just had a conversation with my two workmates who had two bad experiences there - total lack of care for a car in their custody for repairs and service, despite repeated complaints. So did I, though it wasn't related to my car specifically but more during the initial inquiry stage.

They had one really pleasent and dynamic girl there as a sales girl for a while but they got rid of her. Big mistake. She had more lights on and enthusiasm than the rest of the male team all put together. I reckon they got shot of her as folks really warmed to her and she was showing the others up. It's a real rat race, that game, with lots of petty jealousies, and the rats invariably win. Some sales guy tried to white-ant her imminent sale to me, and she got the shove just after that. I refused to buy my car from them because of that, plus their poor attitudes to a few issues I raised with them, and went elsewhere.

BTW, I noted with interest that in an advert they ran in 2005-2006 in one local journal, the picture of the MPS6 was labelled an "MP3" while in a later magazine the pictures of the CX7 and CX9 were both labelled as "CX7", despite the "advert" numberplates in each picture having the correct designations on them. That shows a lack of attention to detail for a start. "If they can't edit a simple advert, what hope for fixing cars?", one might ask.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 03-02-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Doug, the problems with us started back in the late 90's with Parkland. When I hear of recent members having issues (I won't list them all) I make it a specific point not to go back....go somewhere else, hope for better service is my recommendation.

Thanks guys for the heads up about Parkland Mazda, now I know I'd best avoid them... We usually get our cars serviced at Jason Mazda in Osborne Park, no complains about them just yet...well, apart from the fact that they refused to touch my clutch pedal...

Hey rogwick, my 6 MPS has done about 33000 k's, still have about 8 months left on new car warranty. We would most probably keep it, giving me a chance to mod it after the warranty is up... I'm not sure changing the clutch fluid will help, my wife has pretty much complained about the clutch from day dot. Hopefully we can find a solution...otherwise it'll be sad to part with the MX-5, going to miss the handling and steering especially, nothing quite like it...

At 33,000kms I doubt you would need a fluid change. Just thought I would mention it. The clutch is a little heavier than some cars in the MPS6. Got any pics of the MX-5 to share. Hopefully you can come up with a solution. I haven't actually changed my clutch as I like it as is, so I can't really help you out much. Join us on our upcoming cruise if you want a day of fun or maybe discuss possible options in person if you like?

If you come out for a fun day / cruise, you can try my clutch - it's completely unmodded but I don't feel it is heavy or very abrupt in take-up. It might give you a standard of comparison. I doubt very much that fluid is an issue unless there is a pipe restriction which seems highly unlikely.

Yeah, hopefully we can come up with an adequate solution....just quickly, would you (or anyone) recommend me to just go to a mechanic and get the clutch adjusted?
    Will put up pics of the MX-5 at some stage, I'll post it up on the Member's ride soon...
    Would also love to go to the cruise, but Sundays are usually not good for me, and we'll be away in Sydney that weekend anyways, so have to rule it out...

I'm not sure what other adjustments are available on the clutch (apart from the one i've already done) so i'm not sure if a mechanic would be able to help but i guess its worth asking the question.

there's a good chance i'll be working on Rogwicks MPS on friday night so if your in the area feel free to drop in and we can test out the clutch adjustment

Hmmm...not sure if I can make it this Friday, got dinner with my folks...add to the fact that I'm NOR in Tuart Hill, and you guys are in the SOR in Huntingdale area, it may be a bit of an ask, unless you guys plan to work on it til quite late...
    Thanks anyways for the offer, I really appreciate it...

What Toddy said

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Doug, the problems with us started back in the late 90's with Parkland. When I hear of recent members having issues (I won't list them all) I make it a specific point not to go back....go somewhere else, hope for better service is my recommendation.
    I wish you had mentioned this to me in my VVT thread...great.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I wish you had mentioned this to me in my VVT thread...great.
    Bad experience I take it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast