User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Rims 101 for Leelu (Gen II)

Default Cleaning Rims 101 for Leelu (Gen II)

Quote Originally Posted by Leelu View Post
    Leelmo finally got a wash on Aus Day, came away with bruises on my hand from doing the rims!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    How did you bruise your hands doing the rims? I think "you're doing it wrong"
    Yes, another wash is in order for this weekend! I ended up with a bruise on the top of my hand and my wrist. I bought a Meguiar's Ultra Safe Wheel Spoke Brush, but it doesn't get all the marks off and because it bends, it makes it hard to reach the back part of the rim that is a slightly lower than the front. And when you pull the brush out of the rim it sprays dirty, brake dusty water back all over you, which I do no enjoy!!! So I have gone back to my old method of a microfibre cloth wrapped around my hand (soon learnt to do this to avoid cuts) to clean the rims. The part that bruises my hand is where the brakes are on the front, the gap is really small and it makes it hard to clean in there, but I am persistant and keep ramming it in there!!!
    Cleaning rims 101 for Leelu.

Microfibre cloth
    Bucket full of soapy water
    Pressure Hose

Ensure the microfibre cloth is fully submerged in soapy water. Pull out the cloth and gently wrap part of the cloth around one or two fingers. Apply the cloth to desired area, rubbing slowly up down and around the spoke. Do this also for the outer rim and surrounding tyre. Repeat this for each spoke, rinsing every few spokes to apply fresh soapy water.

In the event of calliper cleaning, wrap microfibre cloth around one finger. Stick your finger in between the spoke until you penetrate though to reach the calliper. Rub the calliper with the cloth to remove brake dust dirt. Do this for upper and lower parts of the calliper. Insert the cloth and cloth only with plenty of soapy water in between the spokes and twists and wriggle the cloth to remove further brake dust from surface of calliper.

Rinse with high pressure hose or high pressure cleaner. Insert the nozzle of hose close to the calliper and penetrate with direct pressure which will promote further surface cleaning.

Repeat for the other 3 rims.

At no point did I mention ramming!! I think you're doing it wrong. The above should save you some bruises...your welcome

Example image of finished prodcut.
    Note, each spoke has been washed and cleaned. The surface has also been washed. Rims should have a shine (if painted) or appear light in colour.
    For extra credit to Cleaning Rims 101 use tyre shine for a finishing wet-look touch
    Thankyou to Andre for his very informative 101 guide to cleaning rims

I'm wondering if there are any other 3MPS Gen II owners out there having these sorts of issues cleaning their rims, keeping in mind that I'm not just happy to shove a brush in there swirl it around a bit and call it clean, I want tar etc off the rims!!! I know Yeldarb purchased an Oats brush to do his and am now wondering why I've never asked Postie what his tecnique is since he is the Gen II detailing master?!?!?!
    Last edited by rogwick; 02-12-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

I can't believe you dedicated a thread toward cleaning rims! Perhaps what this thread now needs is some before and after pics to support my 101 class. I shall assess your efforts after you submit some images. I will be marking on
    -Cleanliness of rim
    -Calliper cleaning and brake dust removal (I require close up shots of the calliper for this, behind the spokes is fine)
    -Clean tyres (no orange sand/dirt marks)

*Extra credit for tyre shine and clean wheel arch.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Well you obviously have a lot of time on your hands Andre, I thought the effort you put in deserved it's own thread . Was also going to start a "What did your Mazda do to you today" thread but that might confuse people .

I'm not sure I want you assessing my efforts!!!

I don't think there will be may entries in the "What did your Mazda do to you" other than mine of my car door slapping me. It would be confusing though.

I always make time to help. I pictured a sad girl with bruises on her hands washing her spokes...I thought to myself...how can I, Andre, make a difference and put and end to this. That was my true inspiration. I can rest tonight knowing I've made a difference. It was no trouble, really!

If there's anything else you need in regards to car care, you let me know

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

spray paint them matt black

My method generally involves polishing the wheels so next clean 99% of the brake dust, dirt etc comes straight off with the high pressure hose.

Everything else comes off after the wash with wheel armor and a microfibre cloth. Then a quick application of Amigo, and then a quick squirt of Hydro (yes I use a small amount on my wheels lol.....what, don't look at me like that!)

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    spray paint them matt black
    Been there
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

8. Default

omg Rog you even spend time cleaning your calipers ... OCD much lol

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    They're red and should remain that colour!

M P S

I have realised that I am not the most anal person on her when it comes to cleaning their car!!! I have nothing on the analness of Andre, Random, Nathan and Danny Boy........oh and MISSY!!!!!!!

But not Sammy Boy or Jeevy Boy

I have realised that I am not the most anal person on her when it comes to cleaning their car!!! I have nothing on the analness of Andre, Random, Nathan and Danny Boy........oh and MISSY!!!!!!!

Lol @ most anal
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

These are my tools:

Says you who immediately wipes bird crap off the car while its still sludgy hmmm? I just dedicate more time to my vehicles than most folks

M P S

My car needs a wash and polish if anyone wants to do it.
    I wash my car once every 3 weeks and in the 12months I've had it, it's never been polished...

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    My car needs a wash and polish if anyone wants to do it.
    I wash my car once every 3 weeks and in the 12months I've had it, it's never been polished...

If the GenII rims are harder to clean then the GenI then I feel sorry for yas. I have easily spent an hour or more in one hit to clean all four rims on my GenI..

Saying that though... Low/no break dust pads are a god send.

Says you who immediately wipes bird crap off the car while its still sludgy hmmm? I just dedicate more time to my vehicles than most folks
    No true, I wiped some crusty bird crap off yesterday. Dodgy little pidgeons must have dive bombed Leelmo in the morning, by the time I got out there in the arvo it had baked on . I had to get my PINK mircrofibre cloth out and soak it off before I drove home .
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

The only way i've been able to clean my rims thoroughly (without being sprayed black by rim brushes) is by jacking my car up and taking the whole wheel off haha
    I do appreciate the thread though - I love having clean wheels, but i bloody hate cleaning them !!!! omg.
    Last edited by Crayon; 15-08-2011 at 10:53 PM.

I forgot this thread existed!

My rims are currently dark brown

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Clean with Angle Grinder FTW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast