User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hdi intercooler kit for mps 3

wow!!!
    I know there's a dyno there to prove the result but why there's still some people telling me the FMIC will not gain any power???
    same as when Troy posted his FMIC result.
    very confused now :/
    anyone ??

because a FMIC is not an addition that increases power on it's own - but it does allow you to increase power more easily when you do other mods (like upgraded turbo).

I'll try explain:

An intercooler is just a radiator. Air comes in through intake at whatever temp it is outside, goes into turbo and get's pushed out at increased velocity and pressure (which causes increased heat). That heated air then passes through the intercooler to lower the temperature before it is ingested by the engine. Lower inlet temperatures are important because cooler air is denser and contains more C02. The more C02 that is present, the more fuel you can mix with it to make an efficient explosion (this is why people talk about Air/Fuel Ratio - ideal is 13:1, but some argue 12:1 is better for turbo cars). Simplistically, the ECU decides what the AFR is - and it is more or less a fixed value from the Mazda factory for different rpm/load. Ensuring that this ratio is maintained yields the optimum power. Too much fuel and not enough air (or air too hot) = rich/low power. Not enough fuel and too much air = lean/lower power/pre-detonation.

If you bolt on an aftermarket intercooler with the stock tune, the air might come into the motor a little bit cooler, but the ECU is generallly not smart enough to recognise this, so it still injects the same amount of fuel. You don't actually get any more power. This could only be achieved by tuning the ECU to provide a better match of air and fuel.

There is also an argument which says, the stock turbo is running at pretty much the max efficiency from the factory. An aftermarket intercooler is much bigger, and has much longer pipes - which means there is much more volume of air for the turbo to fill up than before. Because of this, it takes a longer time to fill the charge space (ie. hit full boost) which means you now have a less responsive car.

This is a simplified explanation of why people 'say' that it won't gain you any power. I hope it helps. But put simply, without a retune and support mods - a FMIC will not increase your power, and may in fact make your car feel slower as it will be laggier.

I will disclaim this, however, by saying that if the stock TMIC is restrictive - then replacing with a FMIC may yield results. But if you're not planning on doing your turbo, then i'd argued that a more efficient aftermarket TMIC might be a better solution.
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 06-05-2012 at 01:48 PM.

I've got this kit on mine and have posted twice (and made a thread) about my feedback on the product.

Unless you get a tune you will not get its full potential like SMOKEY said. There is a bit of lag but its so minimal its hardly noticed but due to the increased forced air the spool comes on pretty strong like a smack of torque. An advantage of a FMIC over top is less heat soak and such but search the forums for the thread and if going for a bigger turbo down the track then a FMIC is recommended but not needed.

Omg!! Thank you Smokey!! That is simple but I totally got this finally !!!
    thank u devil MPS as well.
    yes MRT is putting a bigger turbo on my car now.
    Maybe FMIC next step :/
    thanks again guys

get a fmic straight away if you are getting a bigger turbo i put an oil temp gauge on my car and was shocked at the 130 deg oil (at this temp your oil is starting to degrade and it induces increased engine wear) on a hot day in traffic with the tmic and my bnr stage 3 then i got the fmic and now oil never creeps past 105 deg even when booting it

Oh shit. I just ordered a hyperflow TMIC today and I think they already fitted it since my car still there.
    Thanks anyway.

For a gen 2 temps should be lower due to the scoop, us gen 1 folk suffer major heat soak due to the lack of air into the cooler when not moving and even more so when stopped cause the heat doesn't go anywhere else, it's like an over under there.

Kk cool

HEHE i finally bought this! should arrive early next week! can't wait!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12