User Tag List

Thread: Air conditioner noises

Default Air conditioner noises

I think my car has an issue with the air intake from the outside for the air conditioning unit.
    When my air con is on recycle, its fine, works as expected
    When it's set to get air from outside, it's fine for the first 30 seconds or so, then approximately every 10 seconds it makes a squeaking noise from underneath the center dash.

It only happens when the air con is set to get air from the outside, and it doesn't matter what the fan speed is, or if the engine is on or off

Any ideas?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Sounds like a faulty fan, Sam. Bad bearing in the motor... That's my first guess.

Is ur car still under warranty?

Hopefully isn't too difficult to fix need the aircon cranking at this time of year.

I've just had a similar noise. When I put the air con on and change the air from 'recycle' -> 'from outside' I hear a loud .. click-click-click-click-click noise in rapid succession.

I never normally have air come from outside, but today it's been raining and I pressed the defrost button, which automatically switches to 'outside air'.

I then started playing around with the buttons to reproduce the problem. It's seems like when you switch from outside to inside and visa versa.

I had a noise that only happened with air from outside, was a dirty filter

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mouse in system?

could be the gearing which moves the diverters in the system. would be a huge pita to get to ...

I had an issue with random clicking most obviously heard when the AC was on, ended up being a shot tensioner pulley bearing.

Leaf or some other bit of debris stuck in the fan and rubbing on the ducting/flaps when set to fresh air, or a piece of debris stuck to the air intake flap and rubbing on the fan...

Would similar from time to time in my HQ, then a while later bits of chopped up leaf would start coming out the vents...

Chris.