User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WOT Hesitation Fix

Default WOT Hesitation Fix

Well for as long as I can remember my MPS6 would hesitate 2-3rd gear change on WOT, for a blink of a second the motor would stutter 3 or 4 times before going back to full power. This was extremely frustrating because for all the power the car has you had to ease the throttle in after changing gears.

Yesterday I had had enough and went searching for an answer (again!!!)
    I came across a link that was mentioned in this forum and I read the 24 or so pages and then decided to give it a go...

wide open throttle engine studder FIX - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 / Mazda Atenza Forum

It only took 20 or so minutes to complete the mod and the test drive after was amazing, full power with no hesitation at all. I tested it on flat road take off, an up hill highway that I know it always hesitated on and with DSC on the off. Plus as soon as I turned the key you could tell the car idled smoother as well!!!

The mod requires you to take off the TMIC, unplug each coil pack and take them out one at a time. The coil plug will split in half by pulling the rubber extension away from the hard plastic top. Once you have done this a spring about 10cm will be able to be removed.
    This spring links the coil pack with the top of the spark plug. The problem seems to be that the end of the spring that reaches to the spark plug leaves a gap of about 4mm.
    Once you have the spring out it needs to be stretched, stretch the last 1/3 of the spring that is going to touch the end of the spark plug, this will make sense once you see the spring. Stretch it about 5-6cm just using your fingers to pull it apart. Once you have done that stretch the middle 1/3 (thicker bit) out by a 1-2cm. Now the spring has been stretched pop it back in the rubber extension and push the coil top back on to the extension. You will now notice the spring reaching further to the end of the rubber extension where the spark plug will slip in to. Lastly before you reinsert the coil pack back in position use a flat head screw driver to scratch (score) the top of the spark plug (no need to remove the plug) this IMO just makes sure you get the best connection between the spring and the top of the plug. sit it back in position, bolt it down then click in the harness.
    Repeat this to all 4 coil packs, then put it all back together and test drive

Although this procedure can sound complicated once you see what I am talking about it will be no problem at all to figure out, like I said it took me only 20 mins or so to take off the intercooler and do the mod and get it back together.

This info has been on mazda6club for over 3 years, I only wish I knew this before today lol!!!

Nice find. Sounds like the spring stretching trick I used to do on old ball point pens to keep them working lol.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read mention of this "Spring stretch" before, and even asked about it here...

I suspected this was what it was about, but could not find any confimation...

Now to find out if the "TB coolant bypass trick" is worth doing...

Cheers,

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    I have read mention of this "Spring stretch" before, and even asked about it here...

I suspected this was what it was about, but could not find any confimation...

Now to find out if the "TB coolant bypass trick" is worth doing...

Cheers,

Chris.
    Well I don't know about the TB coolant trick but this one should be done on all of these motors even if you don't get any hesitation, the smoothness is just as noticeable

Interesting find mate. I also experience hesitation, might look into giving this a shot

I did try this myself when I changed spark plugs, but didn't notice a difference at all. Mine hesitates randomly and makes a clicking noise somewhere beyond the firewall, usually when accelerating after steady cruising in the same gear. I've looked in the rear view and see a cloud of unburnt fuel.

But is a worthwhile exercise especially if you have the I/C off.

The coil spring stretch was popular a few years ago, but it kind of fell by the wayside after it failed to produce consistent and lasting results. I've done the stretch a few times, and even replaced the coils. Still hesitates.

Did you disconnect your battery while doing this?

I wonder if it is more about the cleaning of the components that does the trick, more than the actual coil spring stretch?

I know I have said this before, but my next try would be to see if I could clean the EGR valve. But it seems like a big job. Same with using Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner...
    Last edited by andy b; 25-01-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    The coil spring stretch was popular a few years ago, but it kind of fell by the wayside after it failed to produce consistent and lasting results. I've done the stretch a few times, and even replaced the coils. Still hesitates.

Did you disconnect your battery while doing this?
    No after reading the 24 pages of the link, I saw that disconnecting the battery would stop hesitation for only while so I left it connected to see if this mod works.
    There has to be some truth to it as it does work (so far) and the spring does not touch the end of plug stock.... (4mm by my measurements) ....???!
    I will admit I'm pretty excited that it has worked for me and I decided to let everybody know today that it worked, sure I will keep you updated if it starts stuttering again

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I wonder if it is more about the cleaning of the components that does the trick, more than the actual coil spring stretch?
    Could be....? Under large amounts of boost (fuel) the motor could need a stronger spark and by scoring the plug ends of the spark plug and stretching the spring closer (even touching) this may do this

Quite right, I also got a noticeable improvement the first time I did the stretch. Shame it didn't last. Sorry if I sounded negative, I'm probbably a bit jaded after countless unsuccessful attempts to make my hesitation go away.

I'll be pissed too if this does not work long term, fingers x.

(just went for a spirited drive to the shops, WOT in the 80Km zone and no problems, unlike usual)

Gave the spring stretch a try today, also replaced spark plugs and intercooler hoses while i was there..

took it for a test run, second gear up to 6000rpm and changed to third and still have hesitation Crap!!!

Oh well it was worth a shot

Blog Entries

When in doubt, stretch the spring out!

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

If still in doubt, give it a clout!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    Gave the spring stretch a try today, also replaced spark plugs and intercooler hoses while i was there..

took it for a test run, second gear up to 6000rpm and changed to third and still have hesitation Crap!!!

Oh well it was worth a shot
    Sorry to hear that

I'm going through so much fuel as I'm trying to make it stutter but it still wont!!!

My non stutter recipe is 98 octane (BP), CPE intake and catback Y split straight through mufflers.

My next mods were going to be the dump, piggy back ecu and tune, but because of the stutter I thought there was no point.... NOT ANYMORE

Dump pipe might make a difference, might start to shudder again

17. Default

Anyone tried this?

HKS High Performance Twin Power Ignition System

The CDI method, capacity discharge ignition, provides maximum voltage by transferring all stored energy in the capacitor to the ignition coil so that the ignition current can buildup quickly, thus making the Twin Power very effective in the higher revs where a normal spark would tend to diminish.
    This strong rapid spark prevents the high rpm ignition miss that reduces peak power. The transistorized method generates high voltage by using transistors to cut off current to the coil, thus allowing for a long energy discharge. This longer spark duration allows the Twin Power to improve lower RPM throttle response and torque.
    Now that seems to be describing fixes to the occurrences that you have described. It also comes with a PnP harness for the 6MPS.

I've considered it, but it's an expensive experiment with no guarantee of success. After making so many hardware changes I've pretty much convinced myself the problem is software related.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I've considered it, but it's an expensive experiment with no guarantee of success. After making so many hardware changes I've pretty much convinced myself the problem is software related.
    Can you not data log this?

The dashhawke must be able to some how log this.

And the hypertech didn't change anything?

Just a passing though. Years ago on my gti-r pulsar we did a few repairs and changed the plugs.
    After this, under WOT at 5500rpm it would miss like described. At 6000 it would be fine and keep pulling to redline.
    With it turned out to be plug gaps were wrong.
    When researching the problem I came across info about plug gaps in relation to increased or decreased turbo boost.
    I can't remember which was it went, but if you increased boost, the plug gap needed to be changed from factory setting.

Has this been tried by anyone?
    Last edited by bd581; 30-01-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: fixing auto correction mistakes made by my phone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast