User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WOT Hesitation Fix

Hypertech didn't help and I've logged almost everything that can be logged with Dashhawk and nothing shows up as a cause of the hesitation.

A while back I played with plug gaps and heat ranges. At that stage I wondered if the spark was being blown out by the denser DI charge and I got some positive results with a smaller gap which made me think I might have been on the right track.

However most things I tried along the way initially gave a positive result. I don't know how many times I thought I had eliminated the hesitation. But it always comes back and I still have it today.

Here's a summary of the things I can remember that I've tried: changed intake, changed spark plugs, changed spark plug heat range, changed spark plug gap, changed ignition coils, changed EGR valve, changed wastegate solenoid, changed battery, changed TMIC, changed DP, cleaned PCV system and removed oily residue from intake, cleaned throttle body, had several Mazda MMDS PCM updates installed, donated my car to Mazda head office in Sydney for two months so they could do research on it, installed Hypertech tune.

At the end of the day, only one thing makes the hesitation go away - give the car a flogging. I am now quite convinced that it's a software issue and if you tell the ECU you want performance mode it uses different maps where there is no hesitation. But if you drive he car normally, and then give it a squirt, it hesitates badly because the nana software is faulty.

There's only one other theory that I haven't explored, which Doug has put forward and that's compressor stall. But I don't know how to test for it and I don't know how it could be related to a change in driving style.

I'm not necessarily saying hesitation will be unfixable for everybody; some guys have achieved a permanent solution by trying one of the above fixes. But for myself and others who can't seem to shake the hesitation I reckon we're stuck with it.
    Last edited by kmh001; 30-01-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    At the end of the day, only one thing makes the hesitation go away - give the car a flogging. I am now quite convinced that it's a software issue and if you tell the ECU you want performance mode it uses different maps where there is no hesitation. But if you drive he car normally, and then give it a squirt, it hesitates badly because the nana software is faulty.
    I read somewhere that many ECUs are programmed to retard spark during gearchanges to reduce strain on drivetrain components on clutch-out... Certainly my old MX-6 (2.2 Turbo) had more punch on spirited changes than the MPS does... I would have thought that the Hypertech would take care of anything like this though.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    There's only one other theory that I haven't explored, which Doug has put forward and that's compressor stall. But I don't know how to test for it and I don't know how it could be related to a change in driving style.
    The guys who turn big truck turbos into jet engines use optical tachometers and a dab of white paint on the compressor wheel to measure turbo RPM... could be difficult to adapt into the turbo inlet in a car though...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

*UPDATE* Still no hesitation

lucky you

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    lucky you
    I think he means b*stard cause we still have the hesitation! Haha, Good to hear mate, lets hope it stays that way

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Re: Mine hesitates randomly and makes a clicking noise somewhere beyond the firewall, usually when accelerating after steady cruising in the same gear. I've looked in the rear view and see a cloud of unburnt fuel.

Andy B - your account sounds like you might be having some advanced ignition issues under, I assume from your words, accelerating under load in a higher gear (say, 5th or 6th?). What speeds/rpm are you doing, what gear are you accelerating in, and what is your throttle position when doing so? For example, if you floor it in 6th at freeway speeds (ca 2000-2500rpm = 80-100kmh) then you'll sure as hell get detonation, and you haven't even got onto optimum boost in that range. Does it do it when accelerating in a lower gear at the same road speeds? You should find that accelerating (hard) in 5th at 3000-3500rpm (= 93-109kmh) the engine should be much happier. The car isn't on really song until 120kmh in 6th (3000rpm).
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Hi Doug, it's happened once or twice in 2nd gear under load, but mainly in 5th or 6th gear at around 80-100km/h. I wouldn't say it sure as hell happens, it's random. I had the wastegate solenoid changed and it wasn't as jerky, but still there. I suppose I will just have to knock it back a gear...

Hi Andy, thanks. Mild acceleration or smooth application of power at those speeds, especially when running level or downslope in 5th-6th is fine but any heavy loadings, such as uphill, heavy loads or near full throttle (or all of the foregoing at once) would be prone to inducing knock. This is also fuel dependant. I use 98 RON fuel and it sure helps. It's mostly cleaner and better-filtered juice too.

My Mazda 6 MPS experiences so much hesitation, even sometimes when trying to launch my car from 1st gear and WOT, it will hesitate, when I hit around 5500 - 6000 rpm and shift to 2nd gear and WOT it hesitates again. VERY annoying because it feels like the car is dodge and breaking down
    Might have to try this. Btw my car is full stock at the moment.

This is something I plan on investigating once i get a few more things sorted out with the base tuning. I have some ideas where the problem may be but once I start looking into it more then I will get back to everyone with some more information.

If there is a vehicle in perth that is doing it all the time, that would be great as I could then datalog and try and solve the issue.

btw guys, know am dragging up an old thread, but was looking at stuff on the access port (amongst other things...)
    COBB Tuning Blog » AccessTUNER for MAZDASPEED Gets Expanded Boost Tuning, LC/FFS, Faster Data Logging, Improved Graphing and New Table Enhancements

and for those of you who dont want to read too much, here's the good bit:
    Post FFS Lean Condition and WOT Stutter Fixes for MAZDASPEED Vehicles
    New fueling tables allow the users that are experiencing a lean condition following FFS (MAZDASPEED3/6) and the WOT Stutter (MAZDASPEED6) to make adjustments in these tables and resolve these issues. The following tables can be used to tune out this momentary lack of fuel to fix both the lean condition and the associated misfire or stutter:

• Ignition Timing Limit (Min) (Throttle Closed) – Set this value between -4 and -2 for best results.
    • Ignition Timing Limit (Min) (Throttle Open) – Set this value between -4 and -2 for best results.
    • Load Based Fuel Compensation (Clutch In) – Set all values to 1.0.
    • Load Based Fuel Compensation (Clutch Out) – Set all values to 1.0.
    • Load/RPM Based Fuel Compensation (Clutch In) – Set all values to 1.0.
    • Load/RPM Based Fuel Compensation (Clutch Out) – Set all values to 1.0.

Additional table exposure and fixes:

• Added “Fuel OL Commanded EQ (base)”.
    • Added “Fuel Commanded EQ Max Enrichment Allowed”.
    • Renamed “Fuel OL/Part Throttle Commanded EQ(unused)” to “Fuel OL Commanded EQ(Throttle Closed)”.

The new MAZDASPEED3 v2.00 calibrations do not have these fixes implemented in them, the next round of calibrations will include these by default. The upcoming MAZDASPEED6 v2.00 calibrations will have this fix implemented.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I still don't get WOT hesitation, but I'm now running a 3inch TBE with 1x 100 cell cat and ECUTEK tune at 192kw's.
    I had to put up with it for so long I'm now holding back occasionally from 2nd to 3rd but when I'm thinking about it and go WOT it's all systems go! lol

Shit I thought it was just me with the stuttering when I picked up the car today its most noticeable in second for me, I'll Give this a go and change the spark plugs while I'm at it.

it's a software/tuning thing

There seems to be lots of possibilities of what it could be this seems pretty odd though the fuel rail sensor just re-plugging it Fueling Issues - Page 2 - Mazdaspeed Forums

Bump

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

found something when looking for how to tune VTA in AP:
    under shifting control tables:
    Ignition Timing Limit (Min) (Throttle Closed / Throttle Open / Low ECT)
    Tuning Tips – Reducing this value down to roughly -3 degrees on the non-Low ECT tables appears to resolve post shift
    stuttering on MS6 vehicles.

Default Re: WOT Hesitation Fix

I should update as well and say.. Check your plugs and the gap.

When you you say wot wat iv started experiencing is if i give it stick up to say 110 it has what seems like a miss round 5g rpm and sometimes even down low as it comes on boost will hesitate and appear to miss i was going to get the sparks checked but is it as simple a flash with AP? to improve how this beast performs?

Default Re: WOT Hesitation Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Supereunos View Post
    When you you say wot wat iv started experiencing is if i give it stick up to say 110 it has what seems like a miss round 5g rpm and sometimes even down low as it comes on boost will hesitate and appear to miss i was going to get the sparks checked but is it as simple a flash with AP? to improve how this beast performs?
    Are you asking how to fix hesitation/stutter or how to make it go faster?

You could have a boost leak or the plugs could be gone.
    What other mods have you got?

Yes the AP maps may fix this though you may have another issue.

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast