User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The enemy - suburu liberty gt

Default The enemy - suburu liberty gt

So being a MPS6 owner/driver…ive always referred to this car as “the enemy”,
    In fact, when I was first looking at purchasing an MPS6, this was the other only car I could find that had similar specs.
    Well…no GT’s came out during that time, so I never got to test drive one…

Ive always been curious as to how similar the cars would drive…but I could never find someone I knew (or a friend of a friend of a friend) to compare…

Until now…

My work colleagues and her husband were looking for a family car. They were deciding between the 07 liberty GT and a newer model 6 (station wagon).
    I told them to also consider the MPS6, which they did, but they ended up with the GT

She drove it into work today and I got to have a sit in it…geez theres way too many similiarities orright.

Will definitely have to arrange a drive with him next, and suggest having a swap trial.

Anyone else have any drive time/experiences with a Scooby GT? (either driving it, or along side it?)

No but I did drive the Liberty B4 Twin Turbo way back when I was looking for my previous car (ended up with a Golf GTI)

Loved it, except for the abysmal lag spike smack bang-between the two turbos, more or less in the middle of the torque curve. Oh gawd it was awful. Enough to overshadow every other positive thing about the car.

To this day I don't know how Subaru could have released the car with that as it was. Yes, you could have gotten an STI tune to get rid of the gap, but what I didn't understand was why the car wasn't fixed from the factory once the problem was discovered.

I have no doubt subsequent cars have been better (they've been single turbos for a start), but I've got to say that the B4 put me off Subaru for quite a while.

Purely personal experience.

Dan
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

They're a nice looking car, the GT's. Not too sold on the new ones though. They look a bit bulky for my liking. I was considering a GT when I was looking but couldn't justify the price of most Subaru's. They're expensive cars!

Good for them for getting a GT but I'm still sold on the MPS, hence I own one. I like the sound of Subaru's though. The MPS does not compare in that game.

Similar power to the MPS yet the MPS has more torque but also a tad more weight. Considering they have an extra 200cc on the MPS and less weight, I reckon the MPS6 will still have a fair crack!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

One of our guys here has just sold his GT Liberty. Not a bad looking car but is down on power compared with an MPS6 and no where near as smooth delivery. Crappy hard placky cheap looking interior too. Ride isn't flash either. Mine left his behind in the wake turbulence......

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    They're a nice looking car, the GT's. Not too sold on the new ones though. They look a bit bulky for my liking. I was considering a GT when I was looking but couldn't justify the price of most Subaru's. They're expensive cars!

Good for them for getting a GT but I'm still sold on the MPS, hence I own one. I like the sound of Subaru's though. The MPS does not compare in that game.

Similar power to the MPS yet the MPS has more torque but also a tad more weight. Considering they have an extra 200cc on the MPS and less weight, I reckon the MPS6 will still have a fair crack!
    yeah the newere ones look terrible...this goes for the impreza too...
    his one is the nicer shape.

im going to have to park next to it next time and grab some pics from the work carpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    One of our guys here has just sold his GT Liberty. Not a bad looking car but is down on power compared with an MPS6 and no where near as smooth delivery. Crappy hard placky cheap looking interior too. Ride isn't flash either. Mine left his behind in the wake turbulence......
    Cause you car is stock hey Doug!

Bit of a shot for the MPS/GT lovers

Last edited by rogwick; 24-01-2011 at 03:57 PM.

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

My bro just sold his MY10 GT Premium. Not too shabby….love the leather seats….quite spacious too.
    The only thing I didn’t like is the shape of the car.

ROG, I still reckon even stock the MPS would have it - especially in the top end. I was surprised when I found out that the STI version was still relatively underpowered for a 2.5 litre turbo. I don't know the relative power to weight ratios of the two cars - I'd imagine weights are similar.
    SABRELLI - I'm the opposite - I didn't mind the body shape although the front view is a bit messy and lacks visual flow .... and the MPS Leather pack comes with leather too!

yea but mazda get their leather from 50year old bulls, rather than nice supple young female cows

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    yea but mazda get their leather from 50year old bulls, rather than nice supple young female cows
    My rear passengers used to complain when I went round corners when I had the Luxury Sport (leather) Mazda. It was funny and I would take corners quickly just to look in my mirror and watch my passengers squish and slide together! haha

M P S

I test drove both before I bought the MPS, this article here helped too

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...ps-review.html

Overall the Liberty (MY06/07) felt much nicer than the new one, interior as good as the MPS, felt as good, though as Doug mentioned lacked a bit of ooommph! Also was only a 5 speed and I was doing alot of country driving then and the 6 speed was better on the open road. The MPS was just that little bit better at most things than the Liberty!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    My rear passengers used to complain when I went round corners when I had the Luxury Sport (leather) Mazda. It was funny and I would take corners quickly just to look in my mirror and watch my passengers squish and slide together! haha
    That's why you need a 2008 model Gen 1 MPS3... A L C A N T R A /Leather baby... FTW!!!

lmao
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    That's why you need a 2008 model Gen 1 MPS3... A L C A N T R A /Leather baby... FTW!!!

lmao
    Nah, no passengers is best, didn't want the extra weight anyway!

M P S

I drove several used examples of the MY 06-08 Liberty GT's before purchasing my 06 MPS6.
    Having owned a MY99 WRX wagon in the past, and currently also the owner of a MY05 Forester turbo, it comes as no surprise that I am fond of Subis. As long as they are properly serviced and driven as intended (ie; enthusiastically, but not stupidly), the response and reliability of these cars is superb.
    I took the Libertys for a run because I wanted a quick, reliable, comfortable car that could fly under Plod's radar. With the Liberty I also had the option of a wagon, which was/is my preferred weapon of choice.
    I really liked the way the Subi worked in the first 2 gears- it just got the power to the ground so directly, but like most stock Subi's the party was well and truly over by 4800rpm.
    The MPS didn't seem quite as quick off the mark, possibly because the gearing doesn't allow for 105kph in second, but it was what the Mazda did in 3rd gear that sold me.

Question- Why didn't Mazda build an automatic version of the MPS?
    Answer- They did. It's called 3rd gear.

The shove of these things in 3rd/4th is incomparable.
    The ambiance of the cabin is much nicer than the Liberty IMHO.
    I must say that I think that the MPS6 is one of the most subtly masculine looking Japanese cars on the road.

For all of their positive attributes, Subarus are still just butt ugly.

...well that's what I reckon anyway.
    Last edited by guitar69; 25-01-2011 at 09:04 AM.

15. Default

Well said and thats coming from a huge Subi fan too. I used to have an MY05 Impreza RS wagon and if ever the day comes that Subaru make that shape again my interest might head there again.

I must admit after a few other fast cars, I find the MPS not fast away from the lights unless you want to really cane it. The close ratio box means its a bit short in the legs in 1st and only a short hop into 2nd, although as we all know it gets real good in third and upwards from there. That's what makes it such a good high-performance tourer. It'd be great in Europe on winding mountain roads. I don't drag at lights anyway, as I don't like feeding all the power into the transmission from zero.

You might find the attached chart handy or interesting. Based on stock tyres and tune. It shows just how close 1st and 2nd gear are and the sizeable jump to 3rd. Fortunately the engine is so torquey there is no real issue with this. Gear speeds chart.pdf
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    I must admit after a few other fast cars, I find the MPS not fast away from the lights unless you want to really cane it. The close ratio box means its a bit short in the legs in 1st and only a short hop into 2nd, although as we all know it gets real good in third and upwards from there. That's what makes it such a good high-performance tourer. It'd be great in Europe on winding mountain roads. I don't drag at lights anyway, as I don't like feeding all the power into the transmission from zero.

You might find the attached chart handy or interesting. Based on stock tyres and tune. It shows just how close 1st and 2nd gear are and the sizeable jump to 3rd. Fortunately the engine is so torquey there is no real issue with this. Gear speeds chart.pdf
    defnitely agree on this...with regards to taking off...unless im really in a hurry, i dont rev 1st or second much past 3K RPM)
    and if the chance that i find myself next to a rice boy racers at the lights(hondas/nissans etc), i let them accelerate quickly off, as im way too "mature" to drag race/and want to take care of my gears/transmission

also...im led to believe the turbo/boost is limited in the 1st two gears, but 3rd gear is pretty much "on boost" even with normal shifting from 2nd (around 3K RPM) which is where the magic happens...and like previously mentioned...what sold me on the car.

will be interesting to see how the scooby drives.
    Last edited by JohnnyC; 25-01-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    im led to believe the turbo/boost is limited in these gears?
    Not any more for me!

Also...forgot to say thanks for posting that gear speed chart dougmps. just curious...is there one available for liberty GT...and the MPS3 and/or SP23?

20. Default

ok I have always understood the 6 is not limited in 1st and 2nd in any way like the 3 is The test drive of the two back to back certainly felt quite different

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast