User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The enemy - suburu liberty gt

Quote Originally Posted by guitar69 View Post
    Oooohhh, nasty.
    A Subaru is purchased because of it's reliability, not it's looks or charm.
    I feel sorry for your mate.
    That's a funny statement "how can you say Subaru and reliability in the one sentence"

I've worked on a lot of subaru's over the years and I could count the good one's on one hand. So many gearboxes rebuilt it was almost to the point I could do one blindfolded. Oh! sorry I've retired, thank god I don't have to work on Subaru's any more. I was still doing Subaru repairs as a TAFE teacher, usually "LOVE" jobs for staff

I must admit having said that: there are so many on the road (and off) there must be some good one's about somewhere.

I discovered that the 2.5 Turbo Subi Liberty STI GT that my friend has is only 195Kw. And it's also a power-soaking auto (?). Now, without knowing the respective weights of the cars under discussion, and accepting that different cars get the power down differently, and even allowing for the reasonable regard I have for the Subaru AWD system, I'd say that all other things being equal, and if I was out shopping for a car, the MPS6 is a better deal off the bat in terms of engine efficiency, before even considering interior room, ride quality, panel plastic, braking, fit and finish and looks (to my eyes). And in the case of my car, minimal "tweaks" puts mine in a different Kw category altogether. But who's to know what appeals to different drivers? Even the lack of a dropping back seat in the MPS6 might make some prefer the Subi. I didn't care. I can't recall the last time I needed to fit a long load into my car.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by nickows View Post
    I also test drove a Liberty GT before deciding on the 6MPS. At the time of purchasing the 6MPS the Liberty GT was not actually being sold by Subaru as emission regulations killed off the 2.0L turbo engine at the end of 2005, and it was 6 months (maybe 12, I can't remember) before they released the 2.5L turbo. If I had wanted a 2.0L GT the only one I could find was a demo.

The link to the Wheels article that was posted earlier pretty much sums up my thoughts on the performance differences between the 6MPS and GT. I drove the 2.0 GT and 6MPS back to back at Tom Kerr in Sydney (and at Orange), and the step up in performance in the MPS when you hit boost was more aggressive, and once up and moving was significantly quicker in terms of in gear acceleration. The MPS pulled alot harder in the midrange than the GT, which felt more docile in comparison. Those characteristics are what sold me on the MPS. I've also driven the 2.5GT and while the low down torque improved it still didn't have the 'shove in the back' feel that you get from the MPS. I haven't driven the current Liberty.

I preferred the exterior look of the previous model Liberty compared to the 6MPS, and still do, although Im happy with the look of my car with the exterior mods I've done. I also liked the interior and dash layout more in the Liberty and the McIntosh stereo craps on the mediocre Bose unit in the MPS.

It's interesting reading people's posts on the Hypertech. While I feel the car has more power up top with the Hypertech installed (and it comes on boost slightly earlier), I have lost some of the mid range punch that I had pre-Hypertech. The power delivery is more progressive post-Hypertech, which I'm sure is better for the engine and drivetrain, but I do miss the aggressiveness of the original tune, when boost built more quickly.

So even though I prefer the Liberty GT in some ways over the 6MPS, each time I see a GT on the road I do still see them as the 'enemy'
    cheers for that...and yeah the i really didnt want to compare that article as it was the 2.0L liberty, where the one my colleague has at work is the 2.5L
    still havent been for a ride yet (i have been nagging) but i did get to sit inside. one thing i do like about the liberty is the traction control can be switchable from the steering wheel.
    and i think the interior is a bit nicer. no surprises that the macintosh stereo would trump the bose (i havent listened to the system in the liberty, but ive grew up around audio-philes)
    i cant express how much i hate modern bose stereos...but for stock OEM in a car its something ill let pass.

someone at work has now bought in a new model WRX too...i took a photo of the 2 side by side from my phone...from inside my car.

enemies!!!

the front of the new WRX looks quite nice...the back however reminds me of a hyundai xcel.
    the only thing missing on the WRX is the lame personalised number plate ie "SIKEMWRX" "INWRXTC" "TWRX" "WRXIN8TOR" etc which im sure will surface in the near future.
    Last edited by JohnnyC; 02-02-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123