User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cars at Tunehouse!

my car is going in next wednesday for its 35k service and getting my FMIC installed....cant wait

2. Default

So i talked to one of my mates who is pretty good with cars, and knows a fair bit about working them, and he says not to take my care to Tunehouse, especially because its a front wheel drive. He reckons, and im only paraphrasing here, that alll its gonna do is give my car heaps of wheel spin and torque steer, and put pressure on the other internal parts in my car that have to compensate for the extra kw that the car is pumping out, which will result in other parts malfunctioning and damaging in the long run. He reckons that the way mazda have tuned it is exactly capable to the warranty standards it provides, and any changes being made will not only void warranty, but as i said above, cause other parts to wear faster than normal.

He also tells me that Mazda will know that the computer has been tuned if i ever got it serviced at a dealership and that it will instantly void the warranty, because they can see that modifications have been made on their computers when you put it up for service.

Has anybody who has gone to tunehouse to get the spec c or spec s tune had any of these particular problems? Have any of you had to upgrade or replace parts in your car because of this?

There is nothing wrong with Tunehouse.
    Ask yourself why you want a tune/mods.

11gen2mps...

Have a good read through the threads on this site and you'll come to learn the ins and outs of the pros (there are many) and cons (we are always learning as we go along) of tuning.

Invest some time into learning about what you can get out of your MPS from members here who know their cars like the back of their hands. Many have qualified and experienced backgrounds and have gained much from modding an tuning their MPS.

Then you can you back to your mate and say; "I disagree!..."

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Tunehouse.
    Ask yourself why you want a tune/mods.
    I never implied there was anything wrong with Tunehouse, im sure the job they do on our cars is second to none, thats why i wanted to take it their in the first place, looks like a first class organisation. Im just worried that the added pressure of getting my car tuned may or may not cause extra wear and tear on other parts in the car, and if so i dont want to be taking my car to a mechanic every month cos i have to get something replaced of fixed.

Why do i want to get tune/mods? Well, i definitley dont want mods, i see the tune as a light mod, i mainly wanted to get it done because they claim they can improve fuel economy. Now that i think about it logically though, how am i supposed to have increased fuel economy when my car is pumping out an extra 50 kw!!!? Unless i dont kick the turbo in on ANY of the gears! So my main resoning as to why i wanted it done was fuel economy, and on the odd occasion(rarely) to give it a boost every now and then.

But my main questions havent been answered, will Mazda void my warranty if i take my car to tunehouse and get it tuned? Does anyone who works for a dealer know whether this is a legit cause for concern?

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 03blk View Post
    11gen2mps...
    Have a good read through the threads on this site and you'll come to learn the ins and outs of the pros (there are many) and cons (we are always learning as we go along) of tuning.
    Where are these threads you speak of!!!??

Mazda can void your warranty if the ECU has been touched.

But by the tone of your post, its probably better off if you just sell the car......
    Whats the point of buying a perfomance car that is turbo charged, if you're worried about fuel economy & in your words "rarely" give it a boost now and then?
    You should have bought a standard Mazda3.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Mazda can void your warranty if the ECU has been touched.

But by the tone of your post, its probably better off if you just sell the car......
    Whats the point of buying a perfomance car that is turbo charged, if you're worried about fuel economy & in your words "rarely" give it a boost now and then?
    You should have bought a standard Mazda3.

So only people that thrash cars are allowed to drive turbo cars?

I bought the car cos it looks good, LOVE the shape of it, the interior, all the little gadgets and features it has, but mostly cos its the hottest damn thing ive seen and Mazda at the moment are really making some beautiful cars, above all the other crap thats out there on the market, couldnt say that 10 years ago though. If i wanted fuel economy i would have purchased a 3 Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by 11gen2mps View Post
    I never implied there was anything wrong with Tunehouse, im sure the job they do on our cars is second to none, thats why i wanted to take it their in the first place, looks like a first class organisation. Im just worried that the added pressure of getting my car tuned may or may not cause extra wear and tear on other parts in the car, and if so i dont want to be taking my car to a mechanic every month cos i have to get something replaced of fixed.

Why do i want to get tune/mods? Well, i definitley dont want mods, i see the tune as a light mod, i mainly wanted to get it done because they claim they can improve fuel economy. Now that i think about it logically though, how am i supposed to have increased fuel economy when my car is pumping out an extra 50 kw!!!? Unless i dont kick the turbo in on ANY of the gears! So my main resoning as to why i wanted it done was fuel economy, and on the odd occasion(rarely) to give it a boost every now and then.

But my main questions havent been answered, will Mazda void my warranty if i take my car to tunehouse and get it tuned? Does anyone who works for a dealer know whether this is a legit cause for concern?

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Any car maker can void ur warranty for any mod (anything thats affected by the mod). If you work on your car than its not done by a lic machanic.. BUT mazda have been great too me and my dealer even better. I have found Mazda in Singleton to be by far the most understanding of all dealers, they have done warranty work for me with bolt on mods like ,DP,CAI, fmic. They even done the water pump and didnt charge me labour. Its dealers like this that give Mazda a good name. Cant see them worrying about a tune and voiding warranty (in saying this you do it at ur own risk)!!!
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 19-07-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

I would question the economics of spending $1700 to get a tune to save money on fuel and whether you would recoup the money that your spending to get improves economy

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    Any car maker can void ur warranty for any mod (anything thats affected by the mod). If you work on your car than its not done by a lic machanic.. BUT mazda have been great too me and my dealer even better. I have found Mazda in Singleton to be by far the most understanding of all dealers, they have done warranty work for me with bolt on mods like ,DP,CAI, fmic. They even done the water pump and didnt charge me labour. Its dealers like this that give Mazda a good name. Cant see them worrying about a tune and voiding warranty (in saying this you do it at ur own risk)!!!
    Thanks a lot Luke, this is the type of advice that i was looking for, much appreciated.

+1 with what AD07 said. Have a read through the forums and you might change your mind with some things.
    Some mods let the car breath and flow better then what it came with standard.

And i wouldnt classify a tune as a 'light mod'.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    I would question the economics of spending $1700 to get a tune to save money on fuel and whether you would recoup the money that your spending to get improves economy

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    Yes thats why i myself questioned the legitimacy of this above, you must have skipped my last post. BUT, afterall, Tunehouse claims on their website that this is the case, improved fuel economy, with added power. Are they lying? Or are they marketing for the gullible young car enthusiast just like oil companies do with their motor oil?

Quote Originally Posted by 11gen2mps View Post

The reason I asked was your mate said dont take your car to Tunehouse..
    From what he has said he sounds like he knows absolutely nothing about cars or tuning.

Use the search function, check out the tech section and do some reading. There is more than enough information on this forum to answer your question 100 times over.

In regards to fuel ecconomy, yes a tune will increase this IF you drive like a nanna all the time. If not, you will have the opposite effect.
    If you are after increased milage I would suggest you look at either an SRI or CAI (Intakes). Either of these should lean the AFR out a little.. On average I was getting about 25kms extra out of a tank with one of these fitted due to the turbo spooling a little earlier meaning I could use less revs and the engine was straining less.

Now - about the warranty, this is up to the individual inspecting the car... Find a good dealership (this is a good place to start http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...ew-thread.html).
    If you are concerned about any mods, speak to the service manager and see what they have to say. General rule of thumb is if you replace something the warranty on that item is void. If that item causes something else to break then thats voided too.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

14. Default

Thanks Jmac, with regards to this:

In regards to fuel ecconomy, yes a tune will increase this IF you drive like a nanna all the time. If not, you will have the opposite effect.
    If you are after increased milage I would suggest you look at either an SRI or CAI (Intakes). Either of these should lean the AFR out a little.. On average I was getting about 25kms extra out of a tank with one of these fitted due to the turbo spooling a little earlier meaning I could use less revs and the engine was straining less.
    Can you please point me to a general direction as to where on this website i could find this information under? There is a wealth of good information here and i dont know where exactly to start. Thanks mate.

Hey 11gen2mps, I bought the car for the same reasons you did. They look fast standing still, plus the "holy shit" factor when you drive it for the first time.

Their claims of better fuel economy are valid, but once you tune the car, and Jason can probably attest, that goes out the window.

Your car has amazing potential. Instead of a $1500 tune, spend it on suspension, some stickier tyres and maybe some aural fun (intake/exhaust).

Then you'll be taking corners like a demon and then asking for mooooaaaar poooowweeerr!

Then see Tunehouse!

That's my path!

...oh, get a rear engine mount. I hear it transforms putting power down. Then tell your un-informed mate to piss off and get his fcking Camry off your driveway :P
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

16. Default

Hey guys,

11Gen2mps - I'm not sure what to say mate, if you're not comfortable modifying your car then I would recomend you investigating further before you do so. We would love to help you with your plans, but you need to be sure what you're after before going down that path... We can acheive better economy and improved performance - I can promise you that is simply no lie. An efficient tune in every sense is a powerful one, Better economy for 'normal' driving which most people do 80-90% of the time but you are right, for the most part: more power = more fuel, atleast at wide open throttle! So for normal driveabiltiy our packages are actually very crisp resulting in improved economy while if your planning on driving at full noise constantly - Than economy is probably the least of you concerns

As always guys, I'm more than happy to answer ANY questions you have, MPS related or not so never hesitate to let me know

Kind Regards
    Chris Milne
    Tunehouse
    e: chris@tunehouse.com.au
    p: (02) 9557 4000
    w: TUNEHOUSE | Premium Automotive Workshop

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Tunehouse View Post
    Hey guys,

11Gen2mps - I'm not sure what to say mate, if you're not comfortable modifying your car then I would recomend you investigating further before you do so. We would love to help you with your plans, but you need to be sure what you're after before going down that path... We can acheive better economy and improved performance - I can promise you that is simply no lie. An efficient tune in every sense is a powerful one, Better economy for 'normal' driving which most people do 80-90% of the time but you are right, for the most part: more power = more fuel, atleast at wide open throttle! So for normal driveabiltiy our packages are actually very crisp resulting in improved economy while if your planning on driving at full noise constantly - Than economy is probably the least of you concerns

As always guys, I'm more than happy to answer ANY questions you have, MPS related or not so never hesitate to let me know

Kind Regards
    Chris Milne
    Tunehouse
    e: chris@tunehouse.com.au
    p: (02) 9557 4000
    w: TUNEHOUSE | Premium Automotive Workshop
    Hi Chris, thanks for your information.

I wanted to ask you and anyone else that would know, on your website you have three different tunes, Dyno tuning, Flash tuning and ECU tuning. What is the difference between the first and the third ones? Arent they both esentially the same thing? Or is the ECU tune meant to replace the manufacturers ECU?

Bare with me because im a little slow!

Also, i wanted to get the Spec S Dyno tune but if i wanted to get a flash tune, which one would i go about getting first?

I am getting a few modifications done to my car(SRI or CAI dont know yet, turbo inlet pipe and im looking to get a complete exhaust system) should i do these modifications first and then get a tune?

Before i do the above mods though, im getting swaybars and an engine mount installed, should i do these mods in any particular order? Logically i think it would be better to do the swaybars, engine mount followed by the CAI/SRI/turbo inlet pipe and then the complete exhaust modification? But i have limited knowledge with cars so i need an experts opinion on these things.

Can you recommend an exhaust system that would beef up my performance but keep my car relativley quiet and stock-sounding? I want a bit more noise than the stock pumps out but not a shitload, and i dont want the car to be heaps "vibey" when im driving.

All advice is much appreciated, thanks.

Just personally, HPF tuned my car to 170fwkw and I ran two 13.7's with spinning 1st gear. Few weeks ago I drove 2 mates MPS's with 202-205fwkw each and I could only manage a 14.4 at the best over 7 runs at Heathcote Victoria. The other tuners are reputable and therefore I wont mention any names, but I find dyno results mean nothing to how quick a car will and can go. Seen far too many car enthusiasts brag on exagerated dyno figures, then totally shut down on the street or at a drag meet. I think some of you need to hit a drag strip to get a clearer indicator of what your tune has done for your car, if its performance your chasing of course.

ps- nothing as good as old school muscle-performance that doesn't depreciate. (just my 2 cents worth)
    pss- sorry if my comments offend anyone but I just love this thread and wanted to 're-ignite' it again! Love the cars too Tunehouse.

Prem is 100% correct... i WALKED a 135i with an exhaust granted it was auto but from a roll at about 70 i had him by about 1 car length... This is with an apparently 'low' (180fwkw & 470ishnm) power figure compared to what other tuners are achieving.

Same as Prem i'm not shit canning the other tuners i'm sure the cars are fantastic but just because cars are making 200+fwkw at 1 dyno doesn't mean it's better then car that make 175fwkw on a different dyno. It's the 1/4 mile MPH that matters.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Tunehouse dyno is fairly conservative. Its about % increase over stock..

sent from my galaxy s2

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast