User Tag List

Thread: Blowing smoke

Default Blowing smoke

Was out in the beast today, and when i took of from a set of light reasonably hard looked back out the rear view mirror with tint and seen a nice cloud of smoke. Tried this a few more times and the same thing. Even got the wife to drive the car, and i followed in another car and the smoke is white and only as the revs get up high in the rev range. The only thing i have changed to the car is a turbosmart BOV, cant say that i noticed it before i fitted the BOV.
    Was just wondering if anyone might have any ideas as to what it couid be. We let the car warm up before driving, and run for 30 seconds before turning off . It has just ticked over 1500ks to. For the first 1000ks didnt use 6th gear, or put the motor under to much load. I gave it a little bit of WOT here and there but never red lined it.

Dave

turbo seals.... white smoke would be my first guess. if they go, they let oil in past the seals, and it combusts into white smoke in the exhaust. didnt think this was an issue in new MPS vehicles tho. only older 2005-2006 mps6 and mps3

off to the mazda dealer you go :S

checked ur oil maybe overfull? if not that take it back to mazda, sound like the old k04 turbo.. Or u can splash out and put garrett internals in itfor a more impressive drive

As IceValk mentioned.

If you get white smoke even at idle (after a sprited run...) and smells like burning plastic, PCV issue. Was a common problem in the Gen I first series. (05-06).

Thanks for the replys guys, that is what i thought it might have been. Just wasnt sure if the BOV might have caused it or not. Would like to change the turbo but not just yet, as the minaster of finace and war would have my nuts. She wants the exhaust done first. Will put the stock BOV back on and take it to the dealer this week.

Dave

Hrrm second time I've heard of this Garret turbo business , is there a specific turbo that will be a direct replacement for the stock turbo? I.e without the need to change the manifold etc?

Another thought before stressing too much. If your low on fuel, re-fill it from another servo. It could be as simple and bad fuel. I've seen it before. All those that looked at it thought turbo right away.

But if its a new car under warranty, let Mazda worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Another thought before stressing too much. If your low on fuel, re-fill it from another servo. It could be as simple and bad fuel. I've seen it before. All those that looked at it thought turbo right away.

But if its a new car under warranty, let Mazda worry about it.
    good point...
    we had someone on a cruise once that was showing these symptoms.. turns out it was a bad batch of fuel
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Well we have run most of the last tank out, and refueled this arvo with shell v. So far so good no smoke . Checked the oil level this morning and is at the same level as when first picked the car up a month ago. We are going away friday for the weekend, so will see how we go. Hopfully was just a bad tank of fuel.

Dave

A decent run might work wonders too, especially on a new engine.

I had this as idle for about the first three days after picking up my Gen II from the dealer. It went away and hasn't come back since (8000k on the clock now)

I'd chalked it up to the detail the dealership did. It was bought as a demo model and the underside was spotless, so I'd assumed they had it up on the hoist and had cleaned the underside/exhaust with a funky chemical that was burning off with a bit of driving.

Who knows if it was correct or not, but as I said it hasn't come back

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thanks for the info guys, have done 2 big road trips. Started with shell v but still was blowing smoke, then when that tank was out went th bp ultimate. Havent seen any smoke so far, so hopfully it was just a bad lot of fuel.

Dave

I Stay away from Shell V (No-power)!!!

An old Friend is a Chemical Engineer there at the plant making the V-power & he would never use it...........Only ever uses BP Ultimate or Mobil 8000 (same fuel, different branding)!!!