User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could you go from an MPS to a RX-8?

1. Default Could you go from an MPS to a RX-8?

Hey guys, as y'all know, thinkin' abt selling up the MPS mid this yr coz I don't drive it much.

Prob save up the money till mid-end 2010 when I go back 2 Melbourne. Got 3 cars on the agenda: MY01 or 05 STi, RX8, or 350Z

I'm kinda digging the RX8... Mazda loyalty perhaps?

Well, I've never driven one. Has anyone? Can you deal w/ the power difference b/w it & the MPS?

Some things to consider from my POV, not just for the RX8 but for the other cars too:
    - probably will be a weekend car, so fuel economy is not a concern
    - possibly need to take passengers from time to time
    - only light modifications will be made (suspension, rims, exhaust, intake, body kit for the 350z)
    - Bang for buck (will be second hand market, so kms will also be in consideration)

Post ur thoughts!

Peace!

~ RoNi '09

The RX8 should be easy to pick up cheaply. There are also some very nice MOD's for them. We are currently putting a Turbo on ours. You will either Love the car or hate it.

You will feel like its not going as fast as the MPS. As i recon it just don't go as fast. However i would say its a slightly FUNNER car around corners, and has FAB handling! Since your a 3 Owner you would really notice this. Rotary's are very different to drive and sound very different. I would suggest not to ever buy an Automatic RX8 for many many reasons.

I like the 350z but i think its a chicks car... It seriously does not visually appeal to me like the RX8 does. Yes its a little bit faster but doesn't it only have 2 seats.

Passengers in the RX8 are surprisingly comfortable. That car has heaps of leg room in the front. Im 6' and i can stretch my legs out without hitting the front, if the seat is right back.

Plus you can't go past the cool doors on the 8.

We own both the MPS6 and the RX8.... got some questions shoot me a tell.
    Latool- far from normal

3. Default

Excellent! Nice run down Latool.

2nd question then, out of curiousity? What is your fuel consumption per 100km?

My neighbour had an rx8 and i drove it around a fair bit.. but never felt as good as the mps. can't say anything on 350- never been in one.. as for the rex? I was looking at an sti before i got this.

simple answer NO

I wouldnt go to a RX-8, lovely car and all...but i dont think i could go back to a N/A.

I love my boost too much...

350Z aint a bad car...my friend did own one..but traded it for a 3MPS.

STi...well i cant say bad things....awesome car....but it was almost double the price of a 3MPS new...so you would expect it to be..

Personally...I dont think many cars come better than the 3MPS for price and performance.

In the end...its your decision what you choose and no one should be able to change that.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

370Z comes out in May... If my finances are in line I'm trading up the MPS and my Jet Ski and getting one of those =D

If i had to choose it would be the 05 STI or the 350.
    I have driven the RX8, it was certainly fun but not my cuppa.
    if its for weekends get the STI, coilovers/exhaust/cooler/tune and enjoy.

The new RX8 sure!

The old one no way....its gay!

9. Default

Evo-lishous
    Last edited by Wardski; 17-02-2009 at 07:36 PM.

10. Default

lolz EvoX.

I am loyal to Subaru though. Sorry dude.

hmm, my 2 cents worth. I test drove the RX-8 prior to getting the 6MPS and found it lacking in torque, with the dealer on board and myself (he was not too big probably 90kg and myself 80kg) it felt weak compared to the MPS, also boot was small and back seat area was ok, but I sometimes take clients out and it would be a squeeze for some of them. However, recently I drove my cousin's RX-8 by myself and by keeping the rpm up it felt as quick as the MPS, though without the turbo kick. Still was great fun to throw around and you can't really beat front engine, RWD 50:50 weight distribution (or close to) and gotta love the rotary buzz.

AWD is the way to go!!
    rx8 is beauiful tho, build quality is better than say the rex!!
    its a comprimise game!!

13. Default

However, recently I drove my cousin's RX-8 by myself and by keeping the rpm up it felt as quick as the MPS
    Most promising thing I've heard so far.

So outta curiousity, do we have real life RX8 fuel consumption figures?

Blog Entries

Thats a rotary thing, all the power is at the top of the scale.

Fuel consumption man (combined)1 12.9 litres per 100 km
    Recommended fuel Premium unleaded (min. 95RON)
    Maximum power man 170 kW @
    8,200 rpm

To answer your 2nd question... Fuel consumption... It really is how you drive it. Car thrives to be driven in the higher RPM and you can tell the difference. On a mountian run day with 4ppl in the car and a full tank of fuel the car is HEAVY and it really makes a difference.. however i still got 380k's of petrol out of her. Given i had less ppl i recon you could stretch it out... Alot of ppl claim once you turbo it you can hit around the 420k's to a tank. which i would believe. we shall see soon. But that sized tank thats really crap fuel consumption. It is comparable to a V8. But id go a 6mps from the 3 and mod the **** out of it. Or get an EVO.
    Latool- far from normal

for a smallish car its a big lot of fuel its chewing!!
    but like latool sed!! it depends on how you drive the car!!
    same with the mps3!!
    aka the mazdaspeed3!! hhaah

i have heard the 350Z's hammer...

plus strap a supercharger on em... and get up to 400HP ... i know what i would pick !!

[YOUTUBE]MXo-ZuqfCIQ&feature[/YOUTUBE]

plus how cool does it sound on wind down..........haha

Blog Entries

[YOUTUBE]4zn5ekAahR4[/YOUTUBE]

That sounds better trust me wait till the end of the vid

I couldn't swap over to a RX-8 from a MPS, reckon you'd miss the turbo torque pretty quickly.

I'm with Wardski, get an Evo. If not a 10 grab an older one (8 MR or 6 TME...mmm), better than a comparable STi. 350Z is a bolter...I'd give one of them a go too. Wonder what else you can get for the money you're looking at? If you're not driving much could be a good opportunity to pick up something interesting, M3 perhaps?

------------

Forgot to add. You're looking at a RX-8, drive a MPS now, have STi and 350Z on your list, hardly drive and are worried about fuel consumption? That's one of the last things I'd be worried about...maybe if you did 25000km+ per year it will make a noticeable change to your total cost of ownership, otherwise it's negligible.

I'd also factor in depreciation/resale, servicing, insurance, tyres etc if fuel consumption bothers you
    Last edited by TD; 18-02-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast