User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18x8, 37 offset, 18x225x40 tyres - Gen 1 MPS3 stock suspension ?

1. Default 18x8, 37 offset, 18x225x40 tyres - Gen 1 MPS3 stock suspension ?

Hi all,

Is anyone running a similar setup and can comment on whether they'll fit and if a guard roll will be required?

I've been waiting on Lenso Type-M's in a 18x8 45 offset for over 2 months and it's going to be at least another 4 weeks but probably longer.

My tyres are bordering on illegal now so I need to do something about it. There are the same rims but in 37 offset in stock, and I'm seriously contemplating just going with them even if it requires a guard roll.

I'd appreciate any thoughts?

Will need guard rolling at least.

I don't think I need to get back onto the problems of incorrect offsets being used
    There is a good debate on the post pictures of your favorite Mazda 3's thread if you feel like reading another fact vs opinion argument

3. Default

Yes I agree it is not ideal and in fact after further reading I'm pretty certain I don't want to go down this path..

Which leads me to my 2nd question, is this tyre (stock RE050) illegal given the outside edge horizontal tread is completely worn in parts? The other concern is of course the main tread marker, which is "just" indented slightly. I assume these are the 1.6mm tread markers? What are the smaller markers above this? They are lower...

The rest of the tyres on the car are fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	7104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	7105

I'd say yes mate. If the outside tread is worn to that degree I'd say you'll be fairly easily pinged for that.

Regardless of legality, I'd really not want to be driving on that

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    I'd say yes mate. If the outside tread is worn to that degree I'd say you'll be fairly easily pinged for that.

Regardless of legality, I'd really not want to be driving on that

Dan
    I know mate me neither. Though the car does still grip better than probably most of the crap on the road! lol

Though the wait time on these rims is getting beyond a joke now with the amount of delays I've had to date, if I could just get over the problem of this 1 tyre I will wait for the proper offset to come in.

Are there any OZMPS members in Brisbane with a spare stock set of rims (who've changed rims say) who'd be willing to lend one for a few weeks by any chance? Just swap over mine until the other rims/tyres arrive?

I run 18x8 with 235/40R18's, and I needed to roll my guards.
    I'm in Redland Bay, and I have my stock wheels/tyres under my bench at work. (2 wheels are badly buckled though)

+37 will be too far offset. 8" rims are best at +45 (as low as +42) Don't do it, you will regret it in the long run.

Here's a thought, get them to fit the new tyres to your std rims, then refit them to the new rims when they arrive (free of charge of course)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    +37 will be too far offset. 8" rims are best at +45 (as low as +42) Don't do it, you will regret it in the long run.
    Second that. +37 is not legal here in QLD. +40 legal minimum before even thinking about whether it rubs; +45 to +48 best...
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

BTW, I have 46 offset

+50 (like RX8 rims) fit good the other way too, as long as you don't have larger bore diameter coil-overs.

11. Default

Thanks for the replies guys and offer Grajy. I am well and truly convinced now that this offset is not a good idea...

Unfortunately the rims/tyres are coming from Sydney so can't fit to the original rims then just refit when the new ones come in "unless" (and I'm going to pursue this because of all the hassle its been) they ship the tyres first and the rims when they come in and absorb the cost of the additional shipping

It would mean extra fitting / balancing costs in Brisbane but they've knocked the price down quite a bit so far because of the wait.

Otherwise I'll just have to find Kumho KU36 225/40/R18 in Brisbane for a reasonable price and forget about the rims for now

Try Option1 garage for tyres, they are extremely cheap. $200/corner ish normally.

Option 1 Garage - performance car japanese performance parts Brisbane Queensland Australia workshop drift racing nissan

13. Default

Thanks I'll give them a call tomorrow

Just to give you an idea, 18x8.5 +38 with 235/40-18s all round, guard roll, dropped on coilovers and just minimal rub on the rear where the bumper meets the guard.

obviously that car is pretty low, and I'm guessing yours is still on stock suspension so 18x8 +37 is pushing it but would work on stock height 18x8 +45 would be sweet on 225s.

There are threads in US forums where similar ppl ask the same question of what fits and what work is involved.

Ps: I'll be putting my flame suit on as soon as I can, seems to be expected in this forum.....
    Last edited by Malicioso; 20-01-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Offset Calculator_English.zip

this may also be of some help...

PS: Stock specs are 18x7 +52.5 hub bore 67.1
    Last edited by Malicioso; 20-01-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    Just to give you an idea, 18x8.5 +38 with 235/40-18s all round, guard roll, dropped on coilovers and just minimal rub on the rear where the bumper meets the guard.

obviously that car is pretty low, and I'm guessing yours is still on stock suspension so 18x8 +37 is pushing it but would work on stock height 18x8 +45 would be sweet on 225s.

There are threads in US forums where similar ppl ask the same question of what fits and what work is involved.

Ps: I'll be putting my flame suit on as soon as I can, seems to be expected in this forum.....
    And I'll be there to back you up Malicioso... This is one of my favorite Gen 1's.

^^^ Cheers brah!

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    +50 (like RX8 rims) fit good the other way too, as long as you don't have larger bore diameter coil-overs.
    Too true: my RX8's give only 5mm clearance at the front from rim to shock (with BC Coilovers). Gotta choose front tyres carefully!

Aka 'Hellasunk: we rub on the inside!'

19. Default

Well I spoke to the Sydney shop today and they are going to send the tyres straight away and the +45 offset rims when they come in and they're doing it for the same price which works out pretty well given the discount they'd already offered. I pay for the tyres now and the remaining when the rims arrive.

Can anyone recommend a tyre shop to get them fitted and balanced that takes care of peoples rims? Edit: Brisbane North Side preferably
    Last edited by rhcp_steve; 20-01-2011 at 12:56 PM.

I have a mate who owns a tyre shop on the southside if you decide you need a drive.

You could also buy some bits from me then

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast