User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 18x8, 37 offset, 18x225x40 tyres - Gen 1 MPS3 stock suspension ?

my old black wheels were 18x8+35 and had 225/40/18 and only scrubed when hooking it into corners... the rims sat flush with the guards.. so you will be fine..

Stopped by F1 this morning and tested some Lenso's D2R 18x8 +37 wasn't too bad actually with stock suspension however if dropped would def run into problems.

^^^ Nothing a bit of a fender roll and neg camber can't fix...

the main problem from the research I have done is the rear, where the bumper meets the guard it has a flap that sticks out and this is what rubs on the rear when lowered and running wider wheels and rubber, it usually needs to be ground down.

Pic:

Must look at that I'm running 235/40/18 on 18 x 8 with +46 offset and mine just rubs on the outside of the tire and then once it's worn in I don't hear at all until I put real stress on the cornering or 3 people in the back, but I must check your circled bit you show. It could just be your offset to mine ????

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    Stopped by F1 this morning and tested some Lenso's D2R 18x8 +37 wasn't too bad actually with stock suspension however if dropped would def run into problems.
    +40 is the legal minimum offset in QLD. +35, +37 - I would expect attention from the constabulary and a canary for that....
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Mine still stock...

I plan on going either 18x8.5 +38 or 18x9 +35 with 235/40-18 on mine so that will be one of the first things I will be doing with the addition of fender roll and neg camber

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    +40 is the legal minimum offset in QLD. +35, +37 - I would expect attention from the constabulary and a canary for that....
    i have been pulled over by police with my 18x9+30 wheels pokeing out of the guard and they looked at my car and never said a thing but in saying that each officer is different..
    Panda spec Evolution VIII

Yeah looking +40 or +45 at this stage.

Been pulled over 3 times while having on 18x8 +35 and they have never mentioned a thing, except when I was pulled over for going too fast around a round about.

The officer said refering at the very worn tyre shoulders: "by the look of your tyres you like to drive pretty hard around corners"

..but again nothing related to my +35 offset.

Anyone know the minimum legal offset in NSW?

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    Anyone know the minimum legal offset in NSW?
    According to the RTA, you can't increase your track by more than 25mm (12.5mm each side of the vehicle), with track being measured from the centreline of each wheel. Assuming your offset doesn't change, your track shouldn't either. Offset is measured as the distance from the hub mounting surface to the wheel centreline in mm.

The way I understand that, if you stuck to the original 7" rim width, you could conceivably run a +40 offset as a minimum (standard being 52.5). Even if you ran something like an 8.5 or 9" wheel (as some have done), if the offset was 52.5 then track wouldn't increase, as the extra width would be distributed evenly either side of the rim's centreline = happy days. Lower offset = increased track.

However, if you run a lower offset (how hard is it to find good wheels with high <greater than +45> offset), you increase the track, as you are moving the centreline of the wheels further out towards the outer edge of the guards (did someone say "hellaflush"!).

So my answer: in NSW, I believe on the 3MPS it will be +40 as a legal minimum. Let the flaming begin.....

You are completely correct.
    +40 offset with 7inch rim is legal
    +45 with 7.5inch is legal
    +50 with 8inch rim is legal
    On gen 1 3 MPS

Thing of note, just fitted rx8 rims. Replaced 18x8 +45.
    Same tyres used, same pressures, same weight. Just different offset.
    Instantly noticeable improved turn in and steering response. Surprisingly so, even just normal driving.
    Less understeer aswell when being pushed hard.
    Didn't think much about it until I was flicking through my suspension bible (radio control car set up book)
    It states when narrowing the track (which by changing offsets did) has all the effects on a car I mentioned.

As for the legality of it, if a wheel is obviously too wide I'm sure you'll get picked on, especially if you bring attitude.
    If you have an accident, I know for a fact you can have insurance issues. I've personally seen insurance policies voided because of illegal wheels, rightly deemed dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    On gen 1 3 MPS

Instantly noticeable improved turn in and steering response. Surprisingly so, even just normal driving.
    Didn't think much about it until I was flicking through my suspension bible (radio control car set up book)
    It states when narrowing the track (which by changing offsets did) has all the effects on a car I mentioned.

As for the legality of it, if a wheel is obviously too wide I'm sure you'll get picked on, especially if you bring attitude.
    If you have an accident, I know for a fact you can have insurance issues. I've personally seen insurance policies voided because of illegal wheels, rightly deemed dangerous.
    Similar to Go Karting Brad, adjusting the rear wheels for different tracks we used to log the different settings for each race and what a difference it made...
    So similar with the offset who would of thought, but i did notice a slight difference when I changed and I thought it was just me
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    On gen 1 3 MPS

That looks like a stricter interpretation you are using there, which is taking into account the placement of the wheel face, hence different minimum offsets for different wheel widths?

I think they are probably correct, however by the QLD rules I am familiar with the wheel width requirement is simply that nothing sticks out past the gaurds and nothing rubs in any circumstances, there's a specific test course published you can apply to see if you would pass a transport check for rubbing.

+40 is hard limit, and while 18x8+40 is not illegal by virtue of it's offset, it is illegal because it's sticking out, and rubbing is a given.

re: steering weight, turn in feel, tyre scrubbing...

This can all be predicted before you choose a fitment by considering how your new tyre will sit on the road. Track is measured from wheel centerline. Inside track from tyre inside tyrewall/footprint, outside track from outside sidewall/footprint. The first thing to look at is the inside track. If the inside track moves inwards towards the centre of the vehicle, steering weight gets heavier, steering feedback decreases, and increased inside track tyre wear is possible/probable. If it moves outwards, steering gets lighter, _negative_ steering feedback increases, and bearing loads escalate.

so
    from 215 to 225 @ +52.5 = increased steering weight, inside track moved -5mm
    same fitment @ +48, that's a 4.5mm difference to OEM, then inside track moves -5mm + 4.5mm = -0.5mm
    steering weight normal, feedback normal.

Where people should really notice this is with 235/40 fitment on RX-8 wheels. They should be noticably heavier in the steering, and might suffer inside wear.
    from 215@+52.5 to 235@+50 moves the inside track -10mm (rubber) + 2.5 (difference in offset) = -7.5mm

235@+45 inside track only moves -2.5mm, so steering weight should be just a touch heavier, but barely noticable. The outside track sits a significant 17.5mm further out, which in terms of wider stance, is where I think you'd be seeing your gains in handling. It's not actually legal to reduce the overall track, but your inside track may have been what you are measuring when you say narrowing the track?

I chose fitment first, and decided on +48 offset with 225 because it sits so close to stock in footprint.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    Yeah looking +40 or +45 at this stage.
    Have you considered Advan rims???

They have a broad range of widths and offsets, price is a bit exy on them rims but they're top notch stuff...

ADVAN Wheels - Yokohama's best high performance road tyres, race tyres and light weight wheel range.

You can get the Advan RZ in 18x8.5 +45 which would be spot on (or on a conservative side 18x7.5 +48) and for a pictorial example there is this silver MS3 from the States...
    Last edited by Malicioso; 11-02-2011 at 06:54 AM.
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    Have you considered Advan rims???

They have a broad range of widths and offsets, price is a bit exy on them rims but they're top notch stuff...

ADVAN Wheels - Yokohama's best high performance road tyres, race tyres and light weight wheel range.

You can get the Advan RZ in 18x8.5 +45 which would be spot on (or on a conservative side 18x7.5 +48) and for a pictorial example there is this silver MS3 from the States...

They are nice just took a look. Called around and awaiting for a price on the RZ series.
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

Cool

Just don't expect them to be cheap like Lenso or Rota...

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    Cool

Just don't expect them to be cheap like Lenso or Rota...
    Shit you weren't kidding!!!! With Tyres $4280 just wheels $3400!!!

WAY outta budget!

Yep like I said not cheap lol

Dad is getting work wheels, special order. They don't make the pcs he needs nor the colour he wants. But they are doing it.
    Still, they aren't anywhere close to that price.
    Crazy, pointless and can not be justified

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast