User Tag List

Thread: How to Modify your Mazdaspeed...

Default How to Modify your Mazdaspeed...

Here's something I found.
    Might be useful to the new members/owners...

MAZDASPEED 3 Performance

Nice find, pasted the image in here

Curious as to why they advise fitting a dump pipe (they call it "down pipe"..... but that term to me means Custom Orb and guttering) should be among the last mods?

Best Mufflers dump pipe was first mod I did on my MPS6 and I have to say it REALLY lifted the performance and feel of the car. As has been said before in here "best bang for buck you can do for your car".

Leon

Im guessing they go by the easy and cheaper mods first leaving the prick and expensive ones last.

the "test pipe" just replaces the 2nd cat... so it's like doing half a DP install...

the ones i dont understand is the cat-back exhaust (1-2kw atw max...) and the BOV (0kw max...)
    also love how it says clutch and flywheel before DP

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    the "test pipe" just replaces the 2nd cat... so it's like doing half a DP install...
    Isnt the 2nd cat located in the cat back?

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    the ones i dont understand is the cat-back exhaust (1-2kw atw max...) and the BOV (0kw max...)
    also love how it says clutch and flywheel before DP
    While the catback and BOV arern't exactly mods that give you big gains, while adding the other bits lile the DP and bigger and better intercooler they do play an important role.

Clutch and fly wheel makes sense as a preventive mod, if you chasing power and more power surely that will shorten considerably the life of the clutch or kill it very soon if you are always at it. (i.e Troy's ex-mps)
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

It's a guide on how to mod, not how to chase power. Remember, it is American. Somethings we do differently in Oz.
    It's a guide for people new to Modding. I hope this helps them some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Isnt the 2nd cat located in the cat back?

While the catback and BOV arern't exactly mods that give you big gains, while adding the other bits lile the DP and bigger and better intercooler they do play an important role.

Clutch and fly wheel makes sense as a preventive mod, if you chasing power and more power surely that will shorten considerably the life of the clutch or kill it very soon if you are always at it. (i.e Troy's ex-mps)
    The second cat is part of the dump pipe. Cat back is called CAT BACK for a reason : P lol
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

lol

I always thought the start of the exhaust system was at the DP which comes with a cat (1st cat?), then the rest of the system where the other cat (2nd cat?) was located

My bad

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    It's a guide on how to mod, not how to chase power.
    Guide says : "The Goal here is to add some horse power"
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    lol

I always thought the start of the exhaust system was at the DP which comes with a cat (1st cat?), then the rest of the system where the other cat (2nd cat?) was located

My bad

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Guide says : "The Goal here is to add some horse power"
    Smarty pants : P
    Well, it's good for the noobs
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Im a noob

Either way I dont think there is anything wrong with that guide

in my MPS 6, i did my exhaust from the 1st cat 3" all the way back and 2 straight through mufflers, the MPS6's dump pipe is different to the 3MPS, in the 3 i can understand why it would be essential to replace it, but on the 6, the first cat is bolted directly to the turbo, so putting 3" from the 1st cat is essentially the same thing as putting on a dump pipe with a single cat where the 2nd cat is currently.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

PS: what are the intercooler boost tubes?

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    in my MPS 6, i did my exhaust from the 1st cat 3" all the way back and 2 straight through mufflers, the MPS6's dump pipe is different to the 3MPS, in the 3 i can understand why it would be essential to replace it, but on the 6, the first cat is bolted directly to the turbo, so putting 3" from the 1st cat is essentially the same thing as putting on a dump pipe with a single cat where the 2nd cat is currently.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

PS: what are the intercooler boost tubes?
    I'd suspect they mean the hoses that are attached to the intercooler. I don't see why one would bother with this. Some of these things might be a looks/sound type of this rather than performance mods...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

maybe Intercooler piping? Adding different diametre ones could add power but increase lag or visa versa.

Maybe the system is for ppl that want to go all the way, because when you do manifold and turbo that is when the dump would be the easiest to install.

I don't think larger diameter intercooler pipes would benefit. They wouldn't fit on the intercooler then.
    I think it's suggesting to replace them with silicone hoses for looks... Look IS a reason for modding...

Wish there was a mod to make sure that the engine give equal performance on every drive... Some nights worked 5.7's/6Ls struggle to shake me then some times I struggle to shake 3.6 ecotecs. Frustrating as hell...

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Wish there was a mod to make sure that the engine give equal performance on every drive... Some nights worked 5.7's/6Ls struggle to shake me then some times I struggle to shake 3.6 ecotecs. Frustrating as hell...
    There IS, Jim !.!.!
    A FMIC from Troy, and a tune at HP-F...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I'll echo Jon's comment. Get a FMIC. By itself it goes a long way to solving the 'variable' performance problem.

A motor is an air pump.

Air in - air out, the less restrictive it is, it will make more power.

Colder air in - more power.

Consistant air temps = consistant power figures.