User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Car Running in tips

Default New Car Running in tips

Hi all,

After a discussion with Rogwick on running in engines, I did a search and did not find any information on running in a new car/engine. So I found this article which may be of interest to people! Feel free to discuss and add your tips and other links if they're relevent. I've added the PDF too in case the link breaks.

New Car Care – How to Take Care of a New Car - Popular Mechanics
    Attached Files Attached Files
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Nice one Shakes, I'm sure many will find it useful! Need to finish running in the bike!

Interesting thing....
    Back in the day, Dad was working at the Holden factory (teaching) the workers wouldtest each car as it came off the line.
    Their test would involve holding the car flat out on rollers, when done, they would hit the brakes on the rollers, the car would bounce off and land in the next bay ready to have the brake fluid filled up and brakes bled. Yes, they still had no brakes at that point.
    So much for being gentle running in old engines....

I'm a believer in the hard run-in method... Every engine I've ever run in using that (Car, bike & marine) has been pretty damn strong too.

treat it mean to keep it keen

I sold cars for 10 years every demo I had that was driven hard turned out being a much better and quicker car!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    I'm a believer in the hard run-in method

Here too +1

I was spining the wheels and torque steering out of the dealer when i picked up my MPS lol
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Thanks thats really helpful i have printed it off and laminated it... because ppl who buy cars are always asking wat the best thing to do is.... Thanxs for that

Quote Originally Posted by trittyMPS View Post
    I sold cars for 10 years every demo I had that was driven hard turned out being a much better and quicker car!
    Agree ^

My car was bought as a demo with a little over 2000k's on the clock. I'm under no illusion that the car would have been nursed during that time.

I think the car's better for it.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Drove mine hard from the day I owned it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

"Run it in the way you intend to drive it"

Guys racing 2-stroke bikes will put a new set of barrells, Pistons and rings on, flog them to redline for a lap or two, then remove that set and stick it on the shelf as "Run in, ready to race"...

Chris.

I've had 4 brand new cars and I've never run them in. Have driven them as I normally would and never had any problems.

Although I've never spun the tyres out of the showroom.

Engines need up to 10,000kms.
    Honda teaches us to advise customers (when they complain) that fuel economy and oil usage can't be measured until after 10,000kms.

My MPS is coming up 3 weeks old & that was 1 of the 1st things i asked Mazda was how long should i nurse it before really getting into it? He told me atleast 2,000 KM's. Not sure where he plucked that figure from but im sorry i cant wait that long. Im now up to 580 KM's & im driving it the way i want to. How can you nurse an MPS at 190kw's? Impossible!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mps2011 View Post
    My MPS is coming up 3 weeks old & that was 1 of the 1st things i asked Mazda was how long should i nurse it before really getting into it? He told me atleast 2,000 KM's. Not sure where he plucked that figure from but im sorry i cant wait that long. Im now up to 580 KM's & im driving it the way i want to. How can you nurse an MPS at 190kw's? Impossible!!
    The person you asked had no idea. Most of the running-in is already done by the 500km mark.... I actually suspect the run-in method for each car is directly related to the turbo seal issue.

My running in for my car included a 780km cruise the 4th day I had it and I was driving it like I stole it.

Never had any problems from my car.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

17. Default

i ran my gen 2 in with a 6hr trip from Melb to country NSW (Balranald for those that know it). Was at easter time last year and it went through a plague of locusts within 18hrs of me picking it up from head office. Was fun though, plenty of long empty stretches to test her out, and it can't have hurt, because at the end she had a big cheeky yellow grin!

Interesting read for sure, i followed manufacturer instructions (wherever they came from i cant recall).

Varied speed and revs without increased periods of high load, if i recall correctly.

I wonder if theres any disadvantage to not driving it hard??

Quote Originally Posted by Dices View Post
    I wonder if theres any disadvantage to not driving it hard??
    Components will not work-harden as much and any reciprocating part does not reach the extent of it's travel. The hard run-in method will also out any part that has a manufacturing fault and destined for failure. If something fails while you're running it in, it was not correct to begin with.

20. Default

Thanks for that Popular Mechanics article. I still do believe in breaking in brake discs and pads though. Last time I didn't do them all my front brake rotors went warpish.

Each's got their own belief as to how to best break-in an engine. Here's my collection. I used bits and pieces from each. Take from them what you need. :-)

Proper Engine Break-in procedure - HondaSwap Forums
    Stealth 316 - Engine Break-In
    Flyin' Miata : Tech : How to break in an engine
    Last edited by wyvernone; 19-02-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast