User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on 215/45 18 Kumho KU31's or Falken ZE912's?

Default Feedback on 215/45 18 Kumho KU31's or Falken ZE912's?

Hi folks. Almost time to replace the OEM's. Have priced up some KU31s - $275 fitted, and some Falken ZE912's for $230 fitted. 215/45 R18.

Have already checked the tyre review thread, but after some more feedback specifically, and general thoughts.

Most driving is commuting with the usual 'spirited' drive now and then.

I was in the market for KU31's, but they didn't have in stock at the time so I've got KU21's. Can't complain, happy with them. They were around $1000 fitted. I just recently had KU31's fitting to my GF's Mazda 323 SP20 for $640 she seems happy with them also. Another option is Hankook, a few members have no problems and are happy with them too.

Quote Originally Posted by nath View Post
    Hi folks. Almost time to replace the OEM's. Have priced up some KU31s - $275 fitted, and some Falken ZE912's for $230 fitted. 215/45 R18.

Have already checked the tyre review thread, but after some more feedback specifically, and general thoughts.

Most driving is commuting with the usual 'spirited' drive now and then.
    fark, that's expensive for KU31's... i got 225/45R18's fitted for $150 a corner.... (st george tyres St. George Wheels and Tyres)
    KU31's are a decent tyre for the price, not the greatest in the wet tbh... slightly prone to aqua planning at hwy speeds when there is a heap of still water
    also, quite noisy on coarse chip roads...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

ku36's are only slightly more expensive and are a much better tyre .....they're just hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by kookie View Post
    ku36's are only slightly more expensive and are a much better tyre .....they're just hard to get.
    I would be hesitant to suggest the ku36s simply cause of their wet weather performance which from what I've read, and been told, is pretty horrific...
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

It's pretty hard discussing tyres between the MPS3 and MPS6 cause the cars are so different. Also it hasn't rained much here of late so on first rain (oil on the roads that hasn't washed away) there is very little grip on any tyre even in the MPS6 in certain conditions. Dad used to have dunlops and they were by far the worst tyre possible for him in his work ute. Even loaded in the back it was tail happy.

I'm running the ZE912's. They came with my Gen 1 when I bought it.

They've lasted very well... Probably because the rubber is so hard; in wet you can spin the fronts in 4th at a constant 60km/hr all day long.. So useless in the wet. Similar story (to a lesser extent) in the dry.

I'll be looking at something else come replacement time; if only these would wear out!!

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    fark, that's expensive for KU31's... i got 225/45R18's fitted for $150 a corner.... (st george tyres St. George Wheels and Tyres)
    KU31's are a decent tyre for the price, not the greatest in the wet tbh... slightly prone to aqua planning at hwy speeds when there is a heap of still water
    also, quite noisy on coarse chip roads...
    Cheap probably because of them being 225/45s id imagine. I've spoken to st george via ebay and they suggested the toyo T1R's, then the ZE912s, then the KU31's. Surely the KU's couldnt be any noiser than the OEM's?

Its tricky given the factory 215/45, one wheel place suggested 225/45, but another said they would scrub, and i see alot of suggestions on here for 225/40's, but not sure whether to alter that much on the factory rims.

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Mate I have 225/45's on the standard rim and there is no dramas with scrubbing. I plan on heading to Tempe tyres tomorrow to get some Yokohama ADVAN sports $200 a corner fitted and balanced. Currently have TRACKMAX rollerskates, they were very cheap and grip like very cheap tyres do.

The Continentals Extreme Contact ($175) and the KUMHO's KU31 ($150) that St George have seem good value as well and have got pretty reports from the states (although that is the states though and I am unsure of whether that can be compared too much).

You could check out this below and make your own mind on which to get.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

Hope it helps

Damo
    2006 True Red Gen 1 3 MPS Sports.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Corksport Stuff, Special Mazda 6 Horn

Quote Originally Posted by nath View Post
    Cheap probably because of them being 225/45s id imagine. I've spoken to st george via ebay and they suggested the toyo T1R's, then the ZE912s, then the KU31's. Surely the KU's couldnt be any noiser than the OEM's?

Its tricky given the factory 215/45, one wheel place suggested 225/45, but another said they would scrub, and i see alot of suggestions on here for 225/40's, but not sure whether to alter that much on the factory rims.
    they're quiet for the most part, except on coarse chip bitumen at highway speeds
    225/45's scrub when ive got 2 people in the back + luggage... only time ive ever noticed them
    if you want quiet, get the hankook evo 12's

I had Kumho KU31's in 215/45R18 on both my Lancer and MPS6 (same tyres on both cars...) and was impressed, but more so on the MPS6, probably due to the AWD. I priced them just before Christmas at $170ea from Tempe and $260 from the dealer I had originally purchased them from for $190ea. Driving from Canberra to Sydney would be cheaper than paying $275ea on your end, and then some! Not a huge fan of the Falken, I know alot of people are happy but have had some family experience with weak sidewalls.

I have recently decided to go with the Hankook K107 Ventus S1 Evo, and I can happily recommend them. They are asymmetrical so can be fully rotated, and are probably quieter than the KU31's. They were a little dearer at $230ea however I got them locally from a dealer I trust and also have a free tyre rotation plan. They even look a little like Continental SportContact 2

One big thing that I was not aware of before I bought the Hankooks, is that because they are classified as an Ultra High Performance Tyre, they receive a road hazard guarantee from Hankook. If the tyre is damaged from a road hazard (ie. puncture) within 12 months from the date of purchase and less than 25% wear, they will replace the tyre. This came in handy for me when I got a puncture within 30 minutes of driving and ruined the tyre

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    I would be hesitant to suggest the ku36s simply cause of their wet weather performance which from what I've read, and been told, is pretty horrific...
    I've heard the complete opposite, heard they are great and thats why they are sold out around Aus. ! Either way, I ended up going toyo R1R's they are fantastic at $300 a corner

Quote Originally Posted by kookie View Post
    I've heard the complete opposite, heard they are great and thats why they are sold out around Aus. ! Either way, I ended up going toyo R1R's they are fantastic at $300 a corner

I got 225/45 KU36's all you need is heat in them if you want to do a spirited drive, but day to day there still good to live with. In the wet they make a little more noise compared to OEM. i got KU36's for 230 a corner.

If you randomly want to stand on the gas in 3rd gear on a very wet road i'd suggest having DSC because they might spin up pending road conditions. (any lower gear and WILL spin lol) Same goes for corners if your driving normally and think hey that corner looks fun and chuck it in at decent speed in the wet it would understeer.

As for dry there awesome when cold and go to another level when warm/hot.

Only expect 15 - 20km out of them thou. I just rotated mine 4,000km after i got them fronts worn about 2-3mm rears under 1mm (could still see the ecsta tag in center thread). This was with 2 cruises and occasional spirited driving (similar to you i'd assume).

Don't be scared about how soft they are when new with age and use they harder up if i eased mine in i wouldn't of got such wear off front, but in my first 200km we had a hill climb cruise .

Hope this helps mate
    James
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

KU36's are not "pretty horrific" in the wet, but are prone to aquaplaning when water is flowing over the road surface as any tyre with a similar void ratio would be. Over the last few weeks of poor weather I've taken the opportunity to see what is really going on with the KU36's as far as wet surfaces are concerned. My tyres are reaching the end of their life with only a little rubber left above the wear marker (1mm @ 40PSI Front & 0.5mm @ 40PSI Rear), so to begin with the tyres are already shallow. On Saturday, while it was bucketing down I hit Mt Nebo/Glorious and could consistently keep 80-90km/h through the corners regardless of wet surfaces/debris/potholes; after getting the tyres to normal driving temperatures.

Braking: Unless you stab the brake suddenly, wet weather braking is not an issue.

Cornering:
    If you're shifting weight properly the tyres will corner predictably on a wet surface and exhibit characteristics close to dry surfaces with the level of traction scaled back. Any flow over the road surface ~2-5mm will see the tyre begin to lose traction and ~5-10mm or more will see the tyre let go completely and aquaplane. At 10mm of water depth, I think you'll be hard pressed finding a tyre with the same void ratio that won't do this... And if you do, you're paying a lot more than $250ea for them.

Straight Line: I believe that this is where the bad wet weather reputation comes from. Tyres with this sort of tread pattern aren't designed for straight line acceleration or putting power down off the line. I can quite easily spin through the first 3-4 gears if I want to. This goes for situations where you're cornering and try to put too much power down; the tyres will let go and you'll end up in the scrub.

In my opinion the KU36 is the best Money Vs. Performance tyre for everyday use... And the list of round black things that have suffered abuse at my hands is not that limited:

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
    Yokohama ADVAN V103
    Falken Azenis RT-615
    Toyo Proxes4
    Kumho KU36

If you want "pretty horrific" in the wet, give Proxes4's a go. They're downright dangerous.
    Last edited by Jeev; 11-01-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tigamica350 View Post
    Mate I have 225/45's on the standard rim and there is no dramas with scrubbing. I plan on heading to Tempe tyres tomorrow to get some Yokohama ADVAN sports $200 a corner fitted and balanced. Currently have TRACKMAX rollerskates, they were very cheap and grip like very cheap tyres do.

The Continentals Extreme Contact ($175) and the KUMHO's KU31 ($150) that St George have seem good value as well and have got pretty reports from the states (although that is the states though and I am unsure of whether that can be compared too much).

You could check out this below and make your own mind on which to get.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

Hope it helps

Damo

$200 a pop for yokohoma advans is very cheap isn't it (im assuming 215/45/18 would cost a fair bit more?) ?? Did you manage to get them on today?? Hows the service at tempe, any better these days? lol

To be on topic if I was to choose between the Falkens or Hankooks I'd go the KU31s.

From previous experience with Falkens in the wet they're totally horrible and are just as good as Nankangs or Sumitomos in the wet.

The MX-5 SE I have in the garage wears the KU31s and were recommended to me by a close friend who owns a tyre shop, I think they set me back $170ea fitted in 205/40-17.

They have been terrific after they wore in and even now after a year and a half has passed they still grip very very well.

Took the car for a bit of a run up in the mountains last week and it felt so good compared to my MPS3, which I also need to do something about with regards tyres...

Hope that helps???

Alex
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duk View Post
    $200 a pop for yokohoma advans is very cheap isn't it (im assuming 215/45/18 would cost a fair bit more?) ?? Did you manage to get them on today?? Hows the service at tempe, any better these days? lol
    Yep got them on yesterday and the service was fine. I don't know if $200 a pop is the cheapest because I didn't look too hard.
    I had to get rid of the TRACKMAX as they were down right dangerous (anyone want a set of 225/45/18 only 12000klm on them?). They weren't too bad before the Hypertech upgrade but after that it was really bad for traction at part throttle.
    Never had Yoko's before, so i will have to wait and see how they go.
    2006 True Red Gen 1 3 MPS Sports.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Corksport Stuff, Special Mazda 6 Horn

+1 for the KU31.

Thanks for the discussion folks. Seems KU31's get the vote. Would be great to justify fitting a softer compound grippier tyre, but unfortunately I cant!

Malicioso, Hi. There's nothing wrong with Sumitomo HTRZIII's in the wet! Bearing in mind they are a max performance summer tyre, they still scored 7.64 on Tyre rack's wet track testing and 1st overall in the comparison tests. Note also that most tests seek better wet handling.

Tires tested:

Sumitomo HTR Z III (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17)
    What We Liked: Overall road manners and decisive dry grip and handling
    What We'd Improve: A small improvement in wet grip
    Conclusion: A new tire worthy of being in the Max Performance Summer category
    Latest Test Rank: 1st
    Previous Test Rank: Not previously tested

Continental ContiSportContact 3 (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17)
    What We Liked: Compliant ride quality and overall wet and dry traction
    What We'd Improve: Sharpen steering response and a slight reduction in road noise
    Conclusion: A comfortable Max Performance tire with excellent traction
    Latest Test Rank: 2nd

Yokohama ADVAN Sport (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17)
    What We Liked: Responsive road handling and wet traction
    What We'd Improve: A slight improvement in ride comfort and ultimate dry handling
    Conclusion: A capable Max Performance tire that delivers excellent wet traction
    Latest Test Rank: 3rd

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17)
    What We Liked: Overall handling and crisp steering response
    What We'd Improve: Wet traction and handling
    Conclusion: A solid performer in the Max Performance Summer category
    Latest Test Rank: 4th
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 14-01-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast