User Tag List

Thread: Audio System

Default Audio System

Hey guys,

I'm just trying to decide what to do with my audio system in my Gen I. It came with a kenwood double din touchscreen unit (dvd,cd,gps) from japan. But most of the functions are useless so I want to replace it.

I'm considering 3 options:
    1. getting a factory stereo (don't know how easy that is)
    2. Pioneer/Sony double din touchscreen. (already have the double din console piece installed)
    3. Go complete carPC setup.

I would prefer to get my steering wheel controls working (they don't at the moment). And not fussed on GPS as my phone has it. I don't see myself getting into amps and stuff, done it before and it's just too much money.

anyone been down this track and have any advice?

cheers.
    Owner of the Mutant Gen I.

if they kept the factory harness, getting a stock headunit to work shouldn't be too much of a problem. but, seeming as you already got the double din dash kit and probably some wiring done for the current aftermarket one, i'd just get a new unit. buying a stock one is gonna cost a few hundred so may as well put that money into a new unit.

double din units are quite cheap if you dont get the gps bluetooth ones. also as long as you get a steering wheel control adapter, you will be able to keep your wheel controls. I got one from PAC audio for my Pioneer unit. works fine, quick and responsive.

carpcs i dont know too much about, but would involve a bit of fiddling.

Lup15 has the best one from what I have seen. Looks factory

I would spend that money on something else though

cheers guys

I would like one with bluetooth at least for my phone. Don't care about gps. The double din option is easiest. Already checked the wiring and the loom plugs are intact.

don't worry nirvandan, theres going to be show and go in my car just need the creature comforts too

hey mate

I replaced my stock unit, i coculd sell you mine if yours is piano black if your interested PM me

I went down the route of a double din, i purchased a pioneer unit with NAV at around $1500, the steering wheel controls was $100, and i had to get a fascia etc, not a bad option

CARPC in these cars would be a fiddly and costly job but could pay off

Hmm that could be an option. I'd want to find black aircon controls then, mine are silver.

A carpc idea doesn't scare me. I have a full network based media pc setup in my house. It's just whether I want to spend the time.