User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New knob at last.

Default New knob at last.

Been waiting quite awhile now for the JBarone gear lever knob. At last they arrived and I went to MPS garage at Penrith thismorning to pick it up. What a difference it makes. It's about three times heavier than the original and feels so much better in the hand and also feels easier when changing gear. Highly recomend them.

Awesome stuff...

unfortunately I'm still waiting on mine, after reading your comments I'm really looking forwards to intalling mine once it eventually arrives!

Cheers!

I would like to check it out in Bathurst Alan , I have a new SAAS gear knob but still interested to see if the j barone is a better option I have the j barone s/shift installed already & very happy with it .

Col
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 06-01-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Mine arrived today too.
    My thoughts of the knob are the same as yours Allan
    Just need to fit the SSP

bd581 you still using the stock air box??

I'm also going to fit my SSP in the one go but I'm not too fussed about the clearance issue with the Air box since I will be getting either a SRI or CAI within the next couple of weeks...

Yes Col I also have the JB short shift and you're welcome to drive my pride and joy at Bathurst. But no red lining!

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    bd581 you still using the stock air box??

I'm also going to fit my SSP in the one go but I'm not too fussed about the clearance issue with the Air box since I will be getting either a SRI or CAI within the next couple of weeks...
    Yes, still using the stock air box.
    Was planning on having a SRI this week, but MPSGarage don't have any.
    The instruction on the JBarone site say to get 2 grommets 1 inch in diameter, 1/2 inch indernal hole and 1/4 inch thick and place them on the pegs on the air box.
    All up the job took 40 minutes, including making some grommets (just cut up some rubber i had)

As said, with the weighted knob, the stock shift felt beautiful.
    With the SSP its, at the moment, not as good.
    BUT
    Thats my problem, it feels harder to get into gear, but only because i'm not used to it. Its already in gear and i'm trying to push the shifter further than needs to be.
    Its not adjustment, just the nut using the gearshift.
    Once i'm used to it, and when i remember to to push/pull so far its a huge improvement

Hmm interesting.

Does it bolt in like the stock one?

I had a MOMO knob on my but it came with adapters and didn't hold firm, ended up going back to stock after 2 weeks. It was also very light compared with stock and that was an improvement so I'm very interested to hear that heavier than stock is also better.

^^^ Thanks for sharing

Hopefully I'll be getting an intake soon after, so since the box has to come out for the SSP to be fitted I may as well do the intake at the same time.

Cheers!

installed mine yesterday too. I have the cobb short shifter too and one thing i noticed is that the boot does not line up with the bottom of the knobw. it sits maybe 1-2cm below it leaving this ugly gap. Is this something wrong with my installation? I Dont really want to super glue the knob to the top of the boot either. Any other ideas?

In regards to the feel of it when shifting. Feels tops. Would recommend it too.

best think I can think of is to take the knob off, then take the middle plastic section off (cup holders and all), including the shifter boot which is part of the plastic trim, so to leave the shift leaver exposed, use a thick zip/cable tie and place it around the shift lever roughly 5mm or so below the bottom of the thread so it holds the top of the boot up against the bottom of the gear knob.

tighten it up and trim then put everything back together and once you screw the gear knob back on, it should push the shift boot + cable tie holding it up a little bit down and should keep a closed gap.

I done this in some of my old cars when I've fitted and after market gear knob and worked rather well...
    Last edited by Malicioso; 07-01-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Sounds good Malicioso. Ill have to give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    installed mine yesterday too. I have the cobb short shifter too and one thing i noticed is that the boot does not line up with the bottom of the knobw. it sits maybe 1-2cm below it leaving this ugly gap. Is this something wrong with my installation? I Dont really want to super glue the knob to the top of the boot either. Any other ideas?

In regards to the feel of it when shifting. Feels tops. Would recommend it too.
    Screw the knob down tight. Then take it off. Hopefully the inner sleeve will stay on the gear shift.
    You'll then need to screw that sleeve down.
    It isn't threaded all the way, so carefully screw and un screw it using the shifter to cut the thread.
    Even with it fully screwed down the knob still does not touch the shifter boot, but it is close, and not an ugly gap.
    If your happy with that, then leave it. If your fussy, do as Malicioso has said. Which i was going to do myself.

Only thing now is getting the shift pattern straight.
    But it not bothering me too much now because i have plans for it too.....

Nirvandan - for the momo knob, either file a flat on the shifter where the grub screws sit, or wrap some fiberglass tape around the shifter.
    Gives the grub screws something to bite in to

Wow, sounds good!

You got any pics?

The method I have used doesn't require needing to get the pattern back on straight, if you have done it up as far as it will go and it sits straight then the shift boot should stay up.

give it a try, i thought of doing it straight away after I heard there was a bit of a gap...

I'm guessing the thread in the JBR gear knobs ain't deep enough???

I'll see if I can make a sketch of something....
    Last edited by Malicioso; 07-01-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Shift boot might stay up, but without thread locking, the knob will come loose unless you spend quite some time geiiting the knob and the inner sleeve adjusted correctly

Ok not my photos but just to give you an idea.

The first photo you open you center arm rest and pull the plastic trim from the back to front, it is ok it's just held on by clips.

Then you unscrew your gear knob and do the same with the plastic trim around the gear shifter, the cup holder trim and the lever trim are two separate pieces.

Once you have everything off, place a zip/cable tie where marked in the image below and make sure it goes on tight.

Put it all back together and with some luck once you screw the gear knob back on it will push the tip of the boot and the cable tie below slightly down as it screws back on, in turn holding the shift boot up and keeping the gap closed.

If you're worried the zip tie will drop over time, it may pay off to use two of them, one on top of the other.

The only other idea I could think of is using a thick rubber grommet or spacers to do the same job as the cable tie and space the tip of the boot up.

*edit*

Forgot to mention that I've yet to try this out on my car, it is something I have done in the past on other vehicles so not sure if it will work 100%, if anyone out there attempts this can you please reply and let the rest of the ppl on here know??

Cheers!
    Last edited by Malicioso; 07-01-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Forget that.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!

Deep inside the knob you'll find a 10mm grub screw.
    Get a long 10mm allen key and screw it in (or out) as needed. Thats the stop.
    Boot lines up perfect. Shift pattern lined up perfect.
    Just a bit of fiddleing around.

Wrist is now a bit sore from playing with my knob.....

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Forget that.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!

Deep inside the knob you'll find a 10mm grub screw.
    Get a long 10mm allen key and screw it in (or out) as needed. Thats the stop.
    Boot lines up perfect. Shift pattern lined up perfect.
    Just a bit of fiddleing around.

Wrist is now a bit sore from playing with my knob.....
    Aaahhhh Awesome stuff man!

I hope my efforts do not go to waste, maybe they could help others with different knobs (get it different knobs???)

Hi guys, before srewing the inner sleeve down onto your gear lever be sure to put some lubricant on the lever thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast